Giant Killing on the Cards? (Cardiff Thread)

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Giant Killing on the Cards? (Cardiff Thread)

Post by ChrisC » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:55 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
malcd1 wrote:City now 3-2 up against Watford.
That's Chris's fault !! :evil:

4-2 :lol:

Told you they always score 4 or 5 at home ;)

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:55 pm

fecking shite that. feck off.

cecil.bob
Reliable
Reliable

Post by cecil.bob » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:56 pm

Well, I was excited to finally have a stream. And then, there was the match... At least it wasn't 7... At least we can concentrate on staying in the championship though....

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:56 pm

At least we had a go but never thought we'd score. There ends any interest for this season. Back to league mediocrity.

Relentless09
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Relentless09 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:57 pm

I'm glad it's not often we get a stream, my health would seriously deteriorate if I watched that every week.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:58 pm

we didn't play that badly - in terms of the basics - but we totally lacked any threat/punch/sting/inventiveness/spark... we had no ideas/creativity/pace/guile... we just never looked like we'd score - i was watching the crowd - not once did a single bolton fan anywhere stand up with anticipation!

gavlat2872
Promising
Promising

Post by gavlat2872 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:58 pm

decent game, much better defensively. Nothing up front though.

our MOM should definitely be Danns, good to see eagles tracking back, but his left foot is woeful.

One daft mistake and it cost us, story of our season.

Looking forward to the QPR game.

COYW!!!!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:58 pm

hmmmm... have agreed to go to qpr... it's a long drive home from there!!

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:01 pm

What the feck is up with this club?
I'm sick to the back teeth of watching/listening to the same shit every week.
We've just lost again to a very poor side at home.
I think Dougie should do the honourable thing and resign as the cost of sacking him is keeping him here. Oh and Gartside you can feck off too.
I never in my wildest dreams thought it could get any worse.

P.S. I don't give a rats ass if City are winning at home. Stick it in another thread.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:03 pm

still - means we can concentrate on the league! :hang:

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:04 pm

thebish wrote:we've shown some desire/passion - but lack quality.. we are slow, one-dimensional, ponderous and when we run with the ball it is as if we are dribbling a grenade... we haven't looked threatening or convincing for a moment...
Never look threatening, toothless up front with zero creativity and don't play like a team just a team of headless individuals.

This is life under Freedman, nothing ever changes with this clown in charge and we will never progress with this clown in charge....he's totally out of his depth....he needs a few years managing in the conference to learn how to manage, organise & motivate

Hats off to the fans who actually pay to watch that shite week in week out, zero excitement or entertainment on offer....it's like groundhog day with this idiot, same rubbish served up week after week after week

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:07 pm

LeverEnd wrote:At least we had a go but never thought we'd score. There ends any interest for this season. Back to league mediocrity.
It's as good as that is it ??
======================

Still, I decided not to drive 170 miles, ticket, parking, pint, 5 hours of my life .... best part of £100.

If we'd drawn, as my #2 son lives in Cardiff Bay I'd have probably gone to the replay ... 260 miles, 2 tickets, pints, meals .... so that's another £200 or so saved, and a day out of my life.

I'm close to needing a new laptop .... so I'm well on the way to paying for it from that.

.... & DJBlu, sorry if that distraction disturbed you. I'd have thought it was a tiny bit of light relief tbh.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:11 pm

No chance he's getting sacked after a narrow cup defeat to a Premier League team. Interesting to hear the lack of improvement, though.

Norpig
Promising
Promising

Post by Norpig » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:13 pm

Sat next a nice old lady who admits she knows nothing about football and even she could see where we are going wrong.

We had no pace up front Cravis was clueless. Eagles tried but was very average. Danns was MOM mainly because he put a shift in. We need to improve and fast otherwise it's div 3 here we come.

Dougie too cautious yet again! !

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:27 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:At least we had a go but never thought we'd score. There ends any interest for this season. Back to league mediocrity.
It's as good as that is it ??
======================

We're so boring under Freedman we won't even have a nail-biting relegation scrap. We'll hover between 14th and 19th sending everyone to sleep. There is just nothing to be positive about, just more of the same old shit. Can't even enjoy good build-up play because I expect us to feck it up/bottle it at the sharp end. Very glad I stayed at home.

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:55 pm

we've shown some desire/passion - but lack quality.. we are slow, one-dimensional, ponderous and when we run with the ball it is as if we are dribbling a grenade... we haven't looked threatening or convincing for a moment...
That's the perfect way to describe our players' lack of basic ball control. Because we need to take two touches in order to be comfortable with the ball at our feet, we allow the opposition to get men back behind the ball and our attack amounts to nothing.

However, that could be because, whilst he defended well today, as soon as Zat Knight comes under pressure, he resorts to Row Z tactics and boots the ball as far as he can. As a result, our midfielders and, more often than not, lone forward have to spend energy trying to win it back. The stats show that we concede less when we play Ream at centre-back with Mills, and we also have the added bonus that Ream has the composure to hold the ball and pick a pass. The sooner we can get him back into the middle, the better.

Do that, and have both Mark Davies and Moritz on the pitch for as many minutes as possible, and we could be half decent.

Frustrating.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:02 pm

I felt for Davies this afternoon because he obviously didn't do anything but his service was awful. We have players who can pass the ball around well and you see good movement in the middle of the pitch but we don't know how to create chances in the final third. We never have done under Freedman, and far too often, the players just lump it up to Davies who was isolated throughout the game. It's so poor tactically. I'd love to ask Freedman what he expects Davies to do with the ball when it's being lumped up to him by Knight or Mills and he's on his own and being marked by two defenders? What good does Freedman think can come of it? We play the long ball to a lone striker who isn't a target man. It's just absolutely awful.

The long ball works when you have a striker who can win headers, which we don't, and you have players around him who that striker can work with, which we don't have. How can it work? With sheer luck it'll work, what, once every 50 attempts? 100? It's terrible. It's the epitome of hit and hope.

It's frustrating too because, like I said, you see good passing from Spearing, Eagles, Lee and Danns but it's in the wrong areas. We have never been a creative side under Freedman and even though he has plenty of skilled passers at his disposal, we just revert to the same old long ball tactics, over and over again, despite it very rarely working.

The result wasn't a big deal and there are some positives about the game but it's so frustrating to watch a talented team be stifled by a clueless manager.

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:16 pm

Nicko58 wrote:
we've shown some desire/passion - but lack quality.. we are slow, one-dimensional, ponderous and when we run with the ball it is as if we are dribbling a grenade... we haven't looked threatening or convincing for a moment...
That's the perfect way to describe our players' lack of basic ball control. Because we need to take two touches in order to be comfortable with the ball at our feet, we allow the opposition to get men back behind the ball and our attack amounts to nothing.

However, that could be because, whilst he defended well today, as soon as Zat Knight comes under pressure, he resorts to Row Z tactics and boots the ball as far as he can. As a result, our midfielders and, more often than not, lone forward have to spend energy trying to win it back. The stats show that we concede less when we play Ream at centre-back with Mills, and we also have the added bonus that Ream has the composure to hold the ball and pick a pass. The sooner we can get him back into the middle, the better.

Do that, and have both Mark Davies and Moritz on the pitch for as many minutes as possible, and we could be half decent.

Frustrating.
There are others that do this, by the way, and he alone isn't the reason that we lost. However, Knight seems to be the most prominent exponent of it and it sets the tone.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:40 pm

After the first 15/20 minutes Cardiff were pretty much in charge of the game, without ever looking impressive.

The football was dull. The goal was a total ugly mess. The weather was vile.

Glad it's over. My feet just about thawed. My spirits unlifted. Though I'm deciding between whisky, gin and vodka at the moment.

I've wasted many a fiver in my life. This afternoon was one more.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:48 pm

Some harsh criticism of Lonergan on the goal, I feel. He shouldn't have been put in the position where he had to come for it anyway. Yes, it's a handling error but what was whoever it was that headed it back thinking of?

Started off really well and pushed them hard for 20 minutes without creating anything. Second half was turgid. Any goals from either side were either going to be scrappy or freakishly spectacular. The nearest we came to scoring would have been an OG.

Was happy to see that after last week's gubbing they didn't collapse when they went one down but we didn't threaten them either. Moritz made a difference when he came on, but why was he only brought on with 17 minutes remaining? What was wrong with making changes as soon as they'd scored? It was clear to everyone that the system playing Cravies up top on his jacksie and twatting it up to him wasn't going to produce a goal, so why stick with it? :conf:

Further - it was fecking freezing and wet in places. My sausage casserole is an absolute triumph. :)
May the bridges I burn light your way