10 (and a bit) years ago.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: 10 (and a bit) years ago.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:52 pm

Prufrock wrote:Be interested to hear what TD and the others around in 58 reckon on it.

I was gutted when we lost to Boro, but, in the immediate, I think I'd be even more gutted by a playoff loss for the reasons mentioned. That said, I want to be able to tell any grandkids about how I was there when we won our first major trophy for how ever many years. As good as Preston was, it doesn't quite cut it.
58 was every sort of payback time for 53's disappointment. Nobody really gave us a chance, indeed almost the whole country were supporting United. Sure, the Munich disaster was a terrible tragedy in February of that year, and credit to United for reaching the final despite it, but it generated incredible support for the reds and almost everybody wanted them to win. The media played it all up massively. That said, beating Manchester United back then was every bit as much of a triumph as it would be today. To beat them in the F.A.Cup Final was dream time. We beat Preston 3-0, York 3-0 after a replay,Stoke 3-1, Wolves 2-1, Blackburn 2-1 and United 2-0 in the final. The joy was unbelievable and the town was utter madness when the team came home with the trophy. Best to forget the animals in Salford bricking the coach, which must have been terrifying for the players, but we were the winners. The nerves were in shreds with a one-goal lead and when Nat walloped the ball and Harry Gregg into the net everybody at our place went mental once we realised the goal was standing. I may never be around to see anything like that again, but it was utterly fantastic.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:29 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Cup Finals are a day out. Seeing us lose play off finals and watching our entire season count for shit is the worst feeling in football. Tranmere was the worst.
i thought this when we played manchester city at the reebok a few years back .. it were the second game of the season

:/

danhorwich
Promising
Promising

Post by danhorwich » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:01 am

Riviman wrote:
Nicko58 wrote:
ChrisC wrote:Cup finals come very very rarely. Playoffs could be a recurring thing year after year if you are an oh so nearly club who can't win the final but qualify each season.

Cup final for me every time!
Me too. I've seen us win a play-off final, but I've never seen us win a proper trophy.
Are you saying the famous "Sherpa Van Trophy" isn't a proper trophy !!!! :?
No as otherwise we have to acknowledge that Wigan have won it twice.
"Oh f**k off you daft southern c**t"

danhorwich
Promising
Promising

Post by danhorwich » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:12 am

Difficult one for me as I have not seen us win anything in person, I didn't go to the Preston play off final but did go to the cup final against Boro and can safely say that I only spoke once for the rest of that day - thankfully BSA repaid our faith by taking us into Europe twice and I will personally treasure the 2 away trips I went to forever and it cannot be forgotten that he took us up. Until I have seen us win/lose both a play of final and a cup competition I cant really say.
"Oh f**k off you daft southern c**t"

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:38 am

danhorwich wrote:
Riviman wrote:
Nicko58 wrote:
ChrisC wrote:Cup finals come very very rarely. Playoffs could be a recurring thing year after year if you are an oh so nearly club who can't win the final but qualify each season.

Me too. I've seen us win a play-off final, but I've never seen us win a proper trophy.
It might not have been a "proper trophy" but Deano Crombie scored the best goal ever scored at Wembley.
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:41 am

Andy Waller wrote:
danhorwich wrote:
Riviman wrote:
Nicko58 wrote:

It might not have been a "proper trophy" but Deano Crombie scored the best goal ever scored at Wembley.
Here it is, at 7:05. Happy days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiOh77TiXT4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hope is what keeps us going.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:03 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Be interested to hear what TD and the others around in 58 reckon on it.

I was gutted when we lost to Boro, but, in the immediate, I think I'd be even more gutted by a playoff loss for the reasons mentioned. That said, I want to be able to tell any grandkids about how I was there when we won our first major trophy for how ever many years. As good as Preston was, it doesn't quite cut it.
58 was every sort of payback time for 53's disappointment. Nobody really gave us a chance, indeed almost the whole country were supporting United. Sure, the Munich disaster was a terrible tragedy in February of that year, and credit to United for reaching the final despite it, but it generated incredible support for the reds and almost everybody wanted them to win. The media played it all up massively. That said, beating Manchester United back then was every bit as much of a triumph as it would be today. To beat them in the F.A.Cup Final was dream time. We beat Preston 3-0, York 3-0 after a replay,Stoke 3-1, Wolves 2-1, Blackburn 2-1 and United 2-0 in the final. The joy was unbelievable and the town was utter madness when the team came home with the trophy. Best to forget the animals in Salford bricking the coach, which must have been terrifying for the players, but we were the winners. The nerves were in shreds with a one-goal lead and when Nat walloped the ball and Harry Gregg into the net everybody at our place went mental once we realised the goal was standing. I may never be around to see anything like that again, but it was utterly fantastic.
Cheers, TD. As good as a play-off win is, I want that^ once in my lifetime.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.