Freedman out!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Freedman out!

Post by Prufrock » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:35 pm

My own reckon is that Mackay and Clarke wouldn't fancy it, but Hughton and McDermott would.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:12 pm

Our last few managers might have something to say about us being a no lose situation?

Allardyce, not been out of work long.

Lee, wasn't a Manager but similarly not been out of work long.

Megson out of work, but not coz he didn't get another chance. Managed to get himself binned whilst in a playoff spot iirc

Coyle not out of work long before he went to Pies...where he fcuked it up himself.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:13 pm

According to wiki, Dougie's record managing Bolton and Palace are fairly similar. If we were to beat Forest he'd have not lost as many but won the same. It's even comparing apples with apples as all the games will be in the championship + cups.

Crystal Palace 2011–12... P90 W32 D27 L31 35.56%
Bolton Wanderers 2012–... P89 W31 D31 L27 34.83%

Point being, it's not like ED/PG hired a world-beater who then did rubbish.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:36 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Our last few managers might have something to say about us being a no lose situation?

Megson out of work, but not coz he didn't get another chance. Managed to get himself binned whilst in a playoff spot iirc

Coyle not out of work long before he went to Pies...where he fcuked it up himself.
Coyle was touted as next manager of Arsenal around the time he came here. Seriously he was.

Look what has happened to his career since. Clearly he was shite, but the point stands.

Freedman regarded as a very good young manager (still is by ex pros who have commented in the press and on TV etc) could have that reputation wiped out here.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:37 pm

"Freedman regarded as a very good young manager (still is by ex pros who have commented in the press and on TV etc) could have that reputation wiped out here"

That's because he's doing a shit job!!!!!!!
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:38 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Coyle was touted as next manager of Arsenal around the time he came here. Seriously he was.
the fact that a few people said it - and the likelihood that anyone ever really thought it would happen are two very different things...

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:48 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote: Freedman regarded as a very good young manager (still is by ex pros who have commented in the press and on TV etc) could have that reputation wiped out here.
Surely that's a problem whenever reputation and reality don't meet, and not simply a downside to managing Wanderers?

He'd have his reputation wiped out just as badly at any other club - the only way he could keep it intact would be to not manage anyone, and sit pontificating on MOTD, like Hansen....
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:52 pm

People can say what they want about him.

At the moment it seems we have a duffer in charge.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:06 pm

boltonboris wrote:"Freedman regarded as a very good young manager (still is by ex pros who have commented in the press and on TV etc) could have that reputation wiped out here"

That's because he's doing a shit job!!!!!!!
Exactly and those 'in the game' always bum each other in the media.

I'd be amazed if all those 4 mentioned weren't at least interested and I reckon we'd definitely get one of them.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:11 pm

I think Dougie's to blame list would probably start with 1) Dougie Freedman if his reputation took a blow when leaving here.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:29 pm

boltonboris wrote:One of the higher paid salaries outside the Premier League. Check

Decent standard of playing staff. Check

Excellent infrastructure. Check

Patient board. Check

No lose situation. Check

Decent enough stature to secure good loan deals from bigger clubs. Check

Springboard to move onto bigger things if you do a good job. Check
Good post. We're an attractive club for most managers with ambition. If they succeed with us, we can get promotion and from there, we'll be back in the Premier League with a good budget or the manager will be taken from us by a 'bigger' club. It's not like we have nothing to offer, we have all the basis for a promotion-pushing side apart from the manager, so those currently without a job aren't going to laugh at us. We have more to offer than a club like Derby and they ended up with Steve McClaren.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:31 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:Our last few managers might have something to say about us being a no lose situation?

Look what has happened to his career since. Clearly he was shite, but the point stands.

Freedman regarded as a very good young manager (still is by ex pros who have commented in the press and on TV etc) could have that reputation wiped out here.
You're only as good as your last gig. The meejah build people up based on sand. Freedman had managed only a season and a bit? When he came here, from a place where he was fortunate to have a couple of decent attackers. Most folks had hardly heard of him. The Palace fans pointed to the turn around being when he signed an ex-Palace player as defensive coach if I recall.

Coyle had done some stuff with Livingston and Inverness? The point is, they both did most of that with players the Clubs had available to them, largely. Struck lucky is a wonderful place to be. Coyle was fcuking clueless with money at his disposal (probably for the first time in his career). Coyle then went elsewhere and was equally well regarded. I think you are confusing form with class.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:23 pm

could be tonight?

IggyTheDawgster
Reliable
Reliable

Post by IggyTheDawgster » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:31 pm

I've just seen the score.....

So I came to this thread.

I am rapidly losing my patience with this man.

Edit: Maybe I should lose my patience more often.
It ain't easy, Sleazy even, Deceiving those we, Believe in.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:55 am

Quotes, just before people say he didn't say it .... or that he didn't mean it.

All of Wanderers' goals came from substitutes, a fact which pleased their manager, whose aim this summer was to clear the dead wood at the Macron Stadium to build a younger, hungrier squad. Freedman said: "In my time here I've felt the substitutes have needed to do more when they come on the pitch. But it goes down to honesty, desire and not giving up. We've not got sulkers any more". Why does he do this ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:10 pm

It's good to see you've figured it out now.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:11 pm

I've just read his ramblings in the BN. If you didn't know it before then you know it now.

The man's a clown.

Remember the Colin/Roy era (shudders) we lost so many points in the last five minutes when we thought games were won/drawn that you've got to admire a side that keeps playing until the very final toot of the FT whistle but to say that last night was anything other than a shambles is crazy.

He says that it vindicates playing football 'the right way'.

The right way? What's that? 11 men avoiding the ball for 87 minutes then pushing David Wheater up front?

That's what we've come to against a team two leagues down?

We've been involved with plenty of giant killing of course and we've been on the wrong end of it often enough but to try and spin your way out of that shambles is just admitting you have no idea what's going on.

How very characteristic.
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:38 pm

The sheer bug eyed, open-mouthed, staggertasticity of this, brings his mental stability into question:

"DOUGIE Freedman insisted that luck played no part in his side’s narrow progression to the second round of the Captial One Cup at the expense of local rivals Bury."

Time up, ( after six extra minutes played) one goal down after being out-played almost all game and we get a penalty, score and go on to win in extra time, but luck played no part? If Dougie planned that to give the fans a thrills and spills ride with a shock ending, watch out Steven Speilberg, you have a rival. Could he not just have said:

"We just didn't play well. Truthfully, we were pretty awful. Bury surprised us by how well they played, got a lead and then continued to play well and defend it. We didn't take what few chances we had and lady luck stepped in at the death. We managed it, but were very fortunate and well done Bury."

At least he wouldn't have made a complete prat of himself with silliness.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:12 pm

The other team surprised us by playing well?

Has that been lifted straight from the script of Dad's Army or something?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:25 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:The sheer bug eyed, open-mouthed, staggertasticity of this, brings his mental stability into question:

"DOUGIE Freedman insisted that luck played no part in his side’s narrow progression to the second round of the Captial One Cup at the expense of local rivals Bury."

Time up, ( after six extra minutes played) one goal down after being out-played almost all game and we get a penalty, score and go on to win in extra time, but luck played no part? If Dougie planned that to give the fans a thrills and spills ride with a shock ending, watch out Steven Speilberg, you have a rival. Could he not just have said:

"We just didn't play well. Truthfully, we were pretty awful. Bury surprised us by how well they played, got a lead and then continued to play well and defend it. We didn't take what few chances we had and lady luck stepped in at the death. We managed it, but were very fortunate and well done Bury."

At least he wouldn't have made a complete prat of himself with silliness.

I like to contrast these two quotes Tango...

On Saturday “We stuck together, tried to get going and with a little bit of luck might have got something but if you are going to defend that way you won’t win a lot of games.”

On Tuesday “We weren’t lucky,” he said. “Luck doesn’t play a part in this game. If you keep sticking to your guns and trying to play in the right way, blah blah ......"