There's Elland darkness, there's the sulfurous pit - LEEDS

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

jetsetwilly
Reliable
Reliable

Re: There's Elland darkness, there's the sulfurous pit - LEE

Post by jetsetwilly » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:23 pm

If he isn't sacked i can only conclude that being relegated is part of the debt clearing master plan

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:24 pm

Beckford was a hero at Leeds.

We don't rate him. Neither does our manager, it seems - even when he scores twice in midweek he gets 15 minutes in an important league game.

We've had players come back who got a great reception from us and acknowledged it. No big deal.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:26 pm

DJBlu wrote:This league you need goals. What's the point of holding back and hitting on the break?

Totally unacceptable. 1 point from 5 with the start mirroring last year.

It isn't coming, the miracle will not happen.
But we didn't sit back or try to hit on the break today. We controlled the second half and camped in their half for most of it
Pfffft.

jetsetwilly
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jetsetwilly » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:26 pm

At the end of the game maybe but not when you come on. No matter how much you hate the manager its a no no.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:26 pm

Yeah. Bit of perspective.

And if we hurry up and get a manager in with a clue as to what he's doing, Beckford may yet be a hero for us. Or less of a pariah, anyway.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:28 pm

O'Driscoll, Hughton or Steve Clarke for me
Pfffft.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:29 pm

jetsetwilly wrote:At the end of the game maybe but not when you come on. No matter how much you hate the manager its a no no.

Fair criticism - but maybe hard to resist if the fans are singing your name (and those of us at Crewe saw how he's feeling about the stick he gets from the Bolton fans - deserved or not).

Not a sacking offence, though.
Last edited by EverSoYouri on Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:31 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Yeah. Bit of perspective.

And if we hurry up and get a manager in with a clue as to what he's doing, Beckford may yet be a hero for us. Or less of a pariah, anyway.
When he first arrived, he was making fantastic runs off the shoulder of the last defender but we had no one smart enough, it seems, player or coach to spot it and play him in.

Should've got at least half an hour today. The guy notched twice on Wednesday - that's his job.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:32 pm

jetsetwilly wrote:At the end of the game maybe but not when you come on. No matter how much you hate the manager its a no no.
From comments on the radio the Leeds fans were singing his name throughout the game. They gave him a standing ovation when he came onto the pitch and he gave them the thumbs up. No biggie.

Later they sang 'give us a wave', which he did. Ill advised, but considering the stick he's been getting (mostly deserved) I can sort of understand it. Reckon he'd jump at the chance of going back there tbh.

jetsetwilly
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jetsetwilly » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:32 pm

I think maybe I'm from a different era. For me this is a cardinal sin. If this is new football... I'm out

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:34 pm

jetsetwilly wrote:Maybe not picked up on commentary but when Beckford came on he gave a big thumbs up to the leeds fans who were singing give us a wave. Bolton fans responded by booing him. He should be sacked tomorrow morning. Disgusting
what a pile of horse shit.

Have we come to be so partisan that a former player can't acknowledge a welcome ? Jeez.

I'm no fan of Beckford but that's ridiculous.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:36 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
jetsetwilly wrote:Maybe not picked up on commentary but when Beckford came on he gave a big thumbs up to the leeds fans who were singing give us a wave. Bolton fans responded by booing him. He should be sacked tomorrow morning. Disgusting
what a pile of horse shit.

Have we come to be so partisan that a former player can't acknowledge a welcome ? Jeez.

I'm no fan of Beckford but that's ridiculous.
Totally agree with Bobo on this. It's not like when ex-Wanderers players turn up at the Ron we haven't done the same. I remember Dioufy clapping Wanderers fans after his Mackem side got a spanking
Pfffft.

B4E
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by B4E » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:36 pm

Apparently, Beckford scored the goal that got them promoted from League 1, and when he was at Leicester and played against Leeds at Elland Road, he blew kisses at them. Sounds like a over-reaction from our fans really.
I miss Zat Knight already.

jetsetwilly
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jetsetwilly » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:36 pm

He ran on and applauded the side stand. When the leeds fans sang for a wave he gave a sneaky thumbs up mid game. Its not what i expect from a player being paid a lot of money by bwfc. He has been prettu poor for us. Lets not make out he is our 20 goal a season hero after 2 against crewe

jetsetwilly
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jetsetwilly » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:38 pm

After the game Yes. Not during. Perhaps the apathy of you lot sums up why we are stuck with this clown

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:38 pm

TKIZ! wrote:O'Driscoll, Hughton or Steve Clarke for me

Not sure about Clarke - seems to lack personality. O'Driscoll? Maybe - anybody know what went wrong at Bristol City (I mean why the results went so crap)?

Always liked Hughton - couldn't turn it round at Norwich, though...spent a few bob there, too.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:38 pm

jetsetwilly wrote:He ran on and applauded the side stand. When the leeds fans sang for a wave he gave a sneaky thumbs up mid game. Its not what i expect from a player being paid a lot of money by bwfc. He has been prettu poor for us. Lets not make out he is our 20 goal a season hero after 2 against crewe
and this has made you very angry?

NiceHotCuppaTea
Promising
Promising

Post by NiceHotCuppaTea » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:40 pm

How many times have we had ex-players return to play against us and give us a wave when we were applauding them?

Didn't see Chelsea being up in arms when Sturridge clapped our fans during the 5-1 game a few years back. Chill out.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:42 pm

jetsetwilly wrote:He ran on and applauded the side stand. When the leeds fans sang for a wave he gave a sneaky thumbs up mid game. Its not what i expect from a player being paid a lot of money by bwfc. He has been prettu poor for us. Lets not make out he is our 20 goal a season hero after 2 against crewe
Like I said, Ex-Wanderers have done it all the time. You have to accept that ex-players can do that. It's not worth booing a player over
Pfffft.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:44 pm

EverSoYouri wrote:
TKIZ! wrote:O'Driscoll, Hughton or Steve Clarke for me

Not sure about Clarke - seems to lack personality. O'Driscoll? Maybe - anybody know what went wrong at Bristol City (I mean why the results went so crap)?

Always liked Hughton - couldn't turn it round at Norwich, though...spent a few bob there, too.
Hughton has worked with small and no budgets before though with Birmingham. Nobby has said that in football everyone has good things to say about him.

Not sure what went wrong for O'Driscoll at Bristol but he had Doncaster and Forest playing attractive attacking football/whilst those teams had decent defences also
Pfffft.