Problems with Gartside

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Problems with Gartside

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:05 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:The way I see it, whilst the fans are pointing to our level of debt and crying foul, they want us to have money to spend on players etc. which would add to our levels of debt - which seems to be a nonsense, in the absence of "magic sticks" to make it go away. I think Freedman took the hard steps that Megson and Coyle (both of whom said they "cut the wage bill") didn't in having to slash the wage bill. So far so good, I can see that Gartside might think what he and Freedman were doing was misunderstood.
Personally I don't think Gartside is allowed to hide behind the fact that he wasted our money hiring and firing lousy managers
who hired expensive players with no resale value. "Why are you so pissed about the debt? I already told you, I SPENT all the money! What do you want from me??"

Elmander's fee and wages alone are probably 10% of our debt.
If we hadn't spent the money maybe we'd have come down a fair bit earlier. Megson kept us up a couple of seasons, as did Coyle. Allardyce is an exception to "two year" managers not the norm. The norm is about 2 years from managers.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:47 pm

Worthy4England wrote:If we hadn't spent the money maybe we'd have come down a fair bit earlier. Megson kept us up a couple of seasons, as did Coyle. Allardyce is an exception to "two year" managers not the norm. The norm is about 2 years from managers.
"It could have been worse" isn't much of a defense against charges of incompetence.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:58 pm

Under Allardyce, we over performed for our level of investment. Afterwards, we performed about in line with our level of investment (salaries vs other prem teams), until Coyle took us down. I think he got that one wrong.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:06 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Under Allardyce, we over performed for our level of investment. Afterwards, we performed about in line with our level of investment (salaries vs other prem teams), until Coyle took us down. I think he got that one wrong.
Coyle had an unlucky season, add to bad management and it really did take its toll. After all the Muamba situation didn't do him any favours but neither did signing Muamba's grumpy replacement alter ego Reo-Coker either.

Coyle's team should've easily stayed up that season. It was in our own hands all along and we jus tcouldn't win. We through away way too many points where staying defensively solid would've managed us staying up. The last minute equaliser by West Brom being a prime example.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:41 pm

Mar wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:Under Allardyce, we over performed for our level of investment. Afterwards, we performed about in line with our level of investment (salaries vs other prem teams), until Coyle took us down. I think he got that one wrong.
Coyle had an unlucky season, add to bad management and it really did take its toll. After all the Muamba situation didn't do him any favours but neither did signing Muamba's grumpy replacement alter ego Reo-Coker either.

Coyle's team should've easily stayed up that season. It was in our own hands all along and we jus tcouldn't win. We through away way too many points where staying defensively solid would've managed us staying up. The last minute equaliser by West Brom being a prime example.
Aye, it started bad and finished worse. We had that awful first 7 games, and the one for me at the time that stood out was Norwich at home, when we got it badly wrong in the first half, then Klasnic got sent off. We needed some points from that game and didn't show up.

West Brom was another farce. I think we had quite a few red cards that season too, which didn't help.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:52 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Aye, it started bad and finished worse. We had that awful first 7 games, and the one for me at the time that stood out was Norwich at home, when we got it badly wrong in the first half, then Klasnic got sent off. We needed some points from that game and didn't show up.

West Brom was another farce. I think we had quite a few red cards that season too, which didn't help.
By an exaggerated dive from Tierney.

Burn him !
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:59 pm

The West Brom game still hurts. I didn't think that even Coyle could blow a 2-0 lead in 15 minutes under those circumstances.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:46 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:The West Brom game still hurts. I didn't think that even Coyle could blow a 2-0 lead in 15 minutes under those circumstances.
The killer for me...

We had the talent to stay up... No question... Coyle's rigidity sent us down...

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:51 pm

William the White wrote:
H. Pedersen wrote:The West Brom game still hurts. I didn't think that even Coyle could blow a 2-0 lead in 15 minutes under those circumstances.
The killer for me...

We had the talent to stay up... No question... Coyle's rigidity sent us down...
Yep. With just a molecule or two of Allardyce's pragmatism added to Coyle's love of attacking football, we might still be in the Prem and everybody's fave second team.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:01 am

Still f*cks me off that the chancing prick gets away with the Muamba thing (the football side, rather than how he dealt with it); the one thing all fans of other teams seem to think is that Coyle was suddenly hamstrung by the loss of his star midfielder. Who he wasn't playing. 'Eagles - Mavies - Pratley- Tuncay' at home to Villa. Fab sat on the bench.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:12 am

Prufrock wrote:Still f*cks me off that the chancing prick gets away with the Muamba thing (the football side, rather than how he dealt with it); the one thing all fans of other teams seem to think is that Coyle was suddenly hamstrung by the loss of his star midfielder. Who he wasn't playing. 'Eagles - Mavies - Pratley- Tuncay' at home to Villa. Fab sat on the bench.
.... & how often he took the Moo off when a goal up or drawing only for us to lose a goal. He simply kept doing it.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:16 am

Yep, seemed to be every single away game for about three months. Get to an hour drawing, take off Muamba and promptly lose. Norwich away sticks in the memory for some reason. Think that might have been the one where it became laughably predictable.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:08 am

I think part of the problem, was that early in his time with us, it worked, (not specifically subbing Moo), but putting 4 forwards on, to try and change a result our way. Think I can recall a game against Blackpool and one against West Brom(?), Blackpool certainly when we were two down and lobbed every forward we had, on. It sort of became his only way to change a result - just look for the Champ Man "Gung Ho" button...

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:38 am

Worthy4England wrote:I think part of the problem, was that early in his time with us, it worked, (not specifically subbing Moo), but putting 4 forwards on, to try and change a result our way. Think I can recall a game against Blackpool and one against West Brom(?), Blackpool certainly when we were two down and lobbed every forward we had, on. It sort of became his only way to change a result - just look for the Champ Man "Gung Ho" button...
It worked when we had genuine quality in midfield and a real threat up front - we could frighten/force on the back foot even the best teams when we really went at them.

The problem was, he wanted to play that open football when we'd lost our midfield drive and much of our goal threat.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:06 am

EverSoYouri wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:I think part of the problem, was that early in his time with us, it worked, (not specifically subbing Moo), but putting 4 forwards on, to try and change a result our way. Think I can recall a game against Blackpool and one against West Brom(?), Blackpool certainly when we were two down and lobbed every forward we had, on. It sort of became his only way to change a result - just look for the Champ Man "Gung Ho" button...
It worked when we had genuine quality in midfield and a real threat up front - we could frighten/force on the back foot even the best teams when we really went at them.

The problem was, he wanted to play that open football when we'd lost our midfield drive and much of our goal threat.
Yes, he tried to use the same solution (lob as many forwards as I've got on the bench on), with a completely different set of personnel and wondered why the result wasn't the same...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:11 am

I think that Blackpool game in particular was part of it. The useless f*cker seemed to think that putting 4 strikers on meant 'attacking'. He also seemed to think the approach would be the same against a team who were drawing, and so still looking to attack themselves, and who were hanging on to a narrow lead.

He had absolutely no idea what was going on.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:20 am

Prufrock wrote:Yep, seemed to be every single away game for about three months. Get to an hour drawing, take off Muamba and promptly lose. Norwich away sticks in the memory for some reason. Think that might have been the one where it became laughably predictable.
Should have been at Crawley away, dude. Different personnel switch, same in practice - striker on for midfielder. Crawley then run through the holes in midfield, we lose.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:29 am

KeyserSoze wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Yep, seemed to be every single away game for about three months. Get to an hour drawing, take off Muamba and promptly lose. Norwich away sticks in the memory for some reason. Think that might have been the one where it became laughably predictable.
Should have been at Crawley away, dude. Different personnel switch, same in practice - striker on for midfielder. Crawley then run through the holes in midfield, we lose.
The stories from there included Coyle & Mavis getting into a whirling arms and head-lock girly fight in the car park as they were going to the coach for the trip back.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:39 am

Has this been posted already?

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... n/?ref=mac" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:57 am

KeyserSoze wrote:Has this been posted already?

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... n/?ref=mac" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He's one tired, upset, narky and bitter man, which is a shame after all the years. It's also a shame he hasn't done this before and tat he's disappeared of the media spotlight for the past few months.

I take his point that if people keep attacking ED he may well just pack his bags & h deserves better than that.