Next Up - Freeman's Replacement

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Next Up - Freeman's Replacement

Post by Peter Thompson » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:52 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:RE: Lennon

It's the most very mild excitement I've had with BWFC since the Coyle Stoke Wembley debacle - I've even wasted a few quid on Lennon at 11-1....and I'm a Rangers fan - but we'll see !
So would Lennon's appointment tempt you back to the Macron, PT? That's not meant to be a "Leading question" - just curious from some people who stopped going (and I think you and SF were amongst that bunch) whether the appointment of Lennon or anyone on the list, would encourage you back into the ground.
Absolutely yes - and a few other mates who also stopped going and have been waiting for something to change would be back.

IMO it would be an excellent appointment and would create some real interest and long overdue excitement, I also think he'd get the players respect - lets wait and see though just because he's reportedly been interviewed doesn't mean that either party likes what they have heard.

If he has been interviewed though and if there is interest by both parties, I'd offer him a substantial bonus to try and work miracles and get us up - knowing that ultimately survival this season and getting the team organised and playing a better style football is the main objective.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:03 pm

What about him instills in you so much enthusiasm?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:07 pm

Jugs wrote:What about him instills in you so much enthusiasm?
He's not Freedman :conf:

lovethesmellofnapalm
Reliable
Reliable

Post by lovethesmellofnapalm » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:13 pm

Not lennon not mackay
So mowbray or hughton please
Slight preference for mowbray
His hibees teams were very easy on the eye
"A child of five would understand this- send someone to fetch a child of five"

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:28 pm

lovethesmellofnapalm wrote:Not lennon not mackay
So mowbray or hughton please
Slight preference for mowbray
His hibees teams were very easy on the eye
So were Mixu's. It's not too late to send for the Moose... :wink:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:37 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:RE: Lennon

It's the most very mild excitement I've had with BWFC since the Coyle Stoke Wembley debacle - I've even wasted a few quid on Lennon at 11-1....and I'm a Rangers fan - but we'll see !
So would Lennon's appointment tempt you back to the Macron, PT? That's not meant to be a "Leading question" - just curious from some people who stopped going (and I think you and SF were amongst that bunch) whether the appointment of Lennon or anyone on the list, would encourage you back into the ground.
Absolutely yes - and a few other mates who also stopped going and have been waiting for something to change would be back.

IMO it would be an excellent appointment and would create some real interest and long overdue excitement, I also think he'd get the players respect - lets wait and see though just because he's reportedly been interviewed doesn't mean that either party likes what they have heard.

If he has been interviewed though and if there is interest by both parties, I'd offer him a substantial bonus to try and work miracles and get us up - knowing that ultimately survival this season and getting the team organised and playing a better style football is the main objective.
That sounds positive. :D

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:49 pm

thebish wrote:

final decision due in 48hrs?
If rumours are to be believed its apparently now between Neil Lennon and Steve Clarke, with a decision by the weekend either tomorrow or Saturday

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:52 pm

Hope it's not Clarke. Not enough managerial experience and one decent season in the PL. Too much of a gamble for me.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:56 pm

If it was those two, I think I'd favour Lennon. I'd be less certain if it was Lennon/Hughton. If you'd have said 12 months ago we'd be in for either Lennon, Clarke, Hughton or Mackay, I'd have thought you were barking, so it looks like a buyers market. Let's just hope we buy the right one!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:09 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:Hope it's not Clarke. Not enough managerial experience and one decent season in the PL. Too much of a gamble for me.
And dull as fecking ditchwater. We don't want another like that.
At least with Lennon you get some angry faced shouting, and Browny offers on pitch karaoke, which must be taken into consideration.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:11 pm

Lennon is definitely the glamour name. The others might do a good job but they don't have the same profile. Not sure if that means wages would be higher or not. Sounds like he already has a job lined up in Saudi Arabia so money might be a factor.

Clarke might strengthen the Chelsea connection that seems to have drifted away recently.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:43 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:Hope it's not Clarke. Not enough managerial experience and one decent season in the PL. Too much of a gamble for me.
And dull as fecking ditchwater. We don't want another like that.
At least with Lennon you get some angry faced shouting, and Browny offers on pitch karaoke, which must be taken into consideration.

Absolutely. So, if he gets it, get the fireworks display on standby, just in case he's tempted to burst into "My Way" or some such.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:40 pm

Box Office that lad, pure Box Office.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:50 pm

LeverEnd wrote:Box Office that lad, pure Box Office.
D'ya mean shithouse?
May the bridges I burn light your way

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:22 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
thebish wrote:

final decision due in 48hrs?
If rumours are to be believed its apparently now between Neil Lennon and Steve Clarke, with a decision by the weekend either tomorrow or Saturday
If it's Clarke, he's blindsiding the punters. Bookies have Hughton and Lennon pretty much joint-favourites.

T'other question over Clarke - seems to me he did very well in a season when he had Lukaku on loan. Bombed the next season once that lad (and Odemwingie) had left. Doesn't fill me with confidence.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:36 pm

Well we need someone to tempt the crowds back. The last home game, the one after we sacked Freedman, attracted the lowest home league gate since April 2001. Maybe lots of silent Freedman In-ers voted with their feet.

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:29 am

I'd only have Lennon if he brought along Scott Brown too. He always put me in mind of a Scot's Diouf.

Lennon's knowledge of English football may be a concern, so I'd plump for Hughton. They pulled the trigger on him too early for my money.

jetsetwilly
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jetsetwilly » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:55 am

Hughton has the best record of the candidates by a mile. Lennon has only Celtic on his cv and that makes it impossible to judge how good he was given the lop sided nature of the spl. He is an ego and I can't stand the guy.

This could end badly. There is no evidence that he can turn around a skint struggling side

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:18 am

Despite a certain other fan site claiming MacKay has the support of 26% of the fans, the bookies have got it as a two-horse-race between Hughton and Lennon (with Lennon looking fave this morning - though that may be down to the piece in The Sun).

MacKay has slid way, way out in the betting. Bizarrely, there still seems to be some money going on Dennis Wise. :crazy:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:24 am

EverSoYouri wrote:Despite a certain other fan site claiming MacKay has the support of 26% of the fans, the bookies have got it as a two-horse-race between Hughton and Lennon (with Lennon looking fave this morning - though that may be down to the piece in The Sun).

MacKay has slid way, way out in the betting. Bizarrely, there still seems to be some money going on Dennis Wise. :crazy:
BN is saying Lennon looking good for the Saudi job this morning. I think journos are doing the usual made up shit. Don't they do creative writing courses at uni? They must have failed miserably. If I was a journo I reckon I could get more hits with my Diouffy player manager piece with Campo assisting :D