Will Carrot Top top Carrott?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: Will Carrot Top top Carrott?

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:07 am

Just caught up with the thread after my celebrations at the beer festival straight after dropping off B Bob and Junior. Was scratching my head at the team selection, but it soon became apparent that it is the mentality that makes a performance positive or negative, not the formation. This was a team that was told to win, not to try not to lose. Spearing was like a dog let off a leash, snapping at everyhjkng and dominating the opposition instead of having yo sit back and desperately trying to stem the constant flow of opposition attacks.
The defence did well, helped by the ball bring up the other end a lot more. Simple really. Pratley showed everything that he is and isn't capable of. Great work rate and athleticism helped keep them pinned back, string forward running, excellent in the air, and utterly hopeless in possession of the ball.
Chungy was brilliant, if we can put Mavies into a midfield playing like that we'll do some damage.
Lots of great situations wasted late on, but once we get used to being on the front foot and gain confidence from a few results I think that will improve.
Also very amused by Lennon's explanation on the radio for his red card, 'well the ref had told me a few tkmes and given me a final warning, but I didn't take him seriously.' Haha!
Excited watching wanderers again, absolutely loved it. :pissed:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:31 am

EverSoYouri wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:To be fair to the non-technical Cravies he does have a good record. Maybe rush of blood time or even that he'd not long come on but I was surprised at the miss when it was him taking it. I guess it all gets sorted out in training and its been a busy week.

In the end no harm done ... thankfully.

Talking if training ... given that CYL has been away all week and only got in one day with the new boss when did they decide to play him in the middle ? Glad they did but just wondering where that idea came from.
I think Cravies has scored his previous three. (BTW suspect 'more technical' is a euphemism for 'less of a lump head') My guess is the thought about getting Spearing to take it came from having an outfield player as goalie - i.e. last minute flexible thinking rather than lack of pre-planning.

Chung seems to play a more central role for his country (and is one of the few players we have who can hit those carefully weighted diagonal through balls that Beckford might thrive on). Maybe Lennon has watched videos of his players international matches this week?
Ha! Absolutely. I like Cravies, but I don't think he's the sharpest. Outfield player in net? Just side-foot it in the corner then! In the post-Peter Shilton at Italia 90 World Cup, the occasional blast down the middle makes sense because keepers hardly ever stay there. However, your outfield player is hardly likely to be doing the same, and more likely to act like a Sunday League keeper.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:38 am

I cant wait for lennie to work his magic on sparky/mason, 2 of our better players! hoping hall gets a run out aswell
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:47 am

Bench wrote:My head would like to answer (c) for all questions.

Sadly, my heart tells me is (a)......
It is this Garvan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owen_Garvan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Signed on a 3 month load deal from Palace.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:53 am

You've still got it mate !!

Though one was a trick question ... shame on me. He IS a Palace player but spend much of last season on loan at ........................................................... Millwall !! Sort of a double header in Freedman terms.

To be fair to him, he has 250 or so games at this level under his belt and he can't be as awful as he's appeared. But he was one of those "ANOTHER from Palace ???" ones and "yet another fckg midfield player", like we're short of them.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:03 pm

Send Garvan back to Palace.

I'm loving the enthusiasm for BWFC again! Unfortunately, I can't now go to a game until Huddersfield at home. But I can't wait!

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Post by danardif1 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:16 pm

I'd imagine that Lennon will hold on to the squad he's got until January at least, and then if he wants to change things and bring in new faces he can send the loanees back and start again.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:20 pm

Shows how much things have changed in that Robbo was looking round for players to talk to at the end and only knew Chungy!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:29 pm

bobo the clown wrote:

You've still got it mate !!

Though one was a trick question ... shame on me. He IS a Palace player but spend much of last season on loan at ........................................................... Millwall !! Sort of a double header in Freedman terms.

To be fair to him, he has 250 or so games at this level under his belt and he can't be as awful as he's appeared. But he was one of those "ANOTHER from Palace ???" ones and "yet another fckg midfield player", like we're short of them.
He looks every inch a Pratley-clone to me. Another of those players who flatter to deceive managers up and down the country?

btw for those wondering who he? there is a Garvan thread launched by a Palace fan further down the Forum list.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:43 pm

I might be old-fashioned in this view - but I still reckon a striker's main job is scoring goals - and your striker SHOULD be the first person you turn to to take a penalty...

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:53 pm

thebish wrote:I might be old-fashioned in this view - but I still reckon a striker's main job is scoring goals - and your striker SHOULD be the first person you turn to to take a penalty...

And wear a number 9 on his back and have proper, screw-in studs on his boots? :wink:

My advanced, 21st century, opta-statified, pro-zonery theory on this is give it to the man with the coolest head. Remember Graham Alexander? :)

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:04 pm

Stuart Pearce
Phil Neal
Frank Lampard
Fernando Hierro
Ronald Koeman
Roberto Carlos
Frank De Boer

They weren't strikers but all too pengies very well.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:04 pm

EverSoYouri wrote:
thebish wrote:I might be old-fashioned in this view - but I still reckon a striker's main job is scoring goals - and your striker SHOULD be the first person you turn to to take a penalty...

And wear a number 9 on his back and have proper, screw-in studs on his boots? :wink:
aye - all that! :-)

If you can't normally trust your striker to beat the goalie 1-on-1 from the penalty spot, how can you trust him to do it with defenders around him and from a tighter angle whilst trying to run with the ball and when the goalie as allowed to close him down?

also note I said "should" - I fully accept that we can't necessarily deal with "should"s on our budget!! Also - it doesn't mean I'd have ever turned to Henrik Pederson as first choice... having the time to thik about a shot was usually his downfall IIRC! :D (but then - he wasn't a striker - he was a left back! :wink: )
Last edited by thebish on Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:05 pm

Its a team game and positions don't dictate who is the best at doing what regarding set pieces.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:15 pm

EverSoYouri wrote:

My advanced, 21st century, opta-statified, pro-zonery theory on this is give it to the man with the coolest head. Remember Graham Alexander? :)
Wasn't he a TV chef ??

The penalty taker should be the one with the coolest head. But Cravies has been fine so far. Anyway, one for the training ground and decisions before the match for me ... though they've had a hectic week.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:17 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
EverSoYouri wrote:

Wasn't he a TV chef ??

The penalty taker should be the one with the coolest head.
nahh.. the penalty-taker should be the one who is best at taking penalties. I have a cool head, but couldn't hit the proverbial barn door!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:21 pm

thebish wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
EverSoYouri wrote:

Wasn't he a TV chef ??

nahh.. the penalty-taker should be the one who is best at taking penalties. I have a cool head, but couldn't hit the proverbial barn door!
OK .. coolest head for that circumstance.

fckg pedant !!

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:22 pm

thebish wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
EverSoYouri wrote:

Wasn't he a TV chef ??

You are shit at football, pro's because it's their job aren't.

Now feck off trolling.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:24 pm

thebish wrote:
EverSoYouri wrote:

aye - all that! :-)

If you can't normally trust your striker to beat the goalie 1-on-1 from the penalty spot, how can you trust him to do it with defenders around him and from a tighter angle whilst trying to run with the ball and when the goalie as allowed to close him down?

also note I said "should" - I fully accept that we can't necessarily deal with "should"s on our budget!! Also - it doesn't mean I'd have ever turned to Henrik Pederson as first choice... having the time to thik about a shot was usually his downfall IIRC! :D (but then - he wasn't a striker - he was a left back! :wink: )
True enough but I think that 'time to think' element defeats many a decent striker. Good goal-poachers so often turn into nervous nellies when faced with a one-on-one. Ideally, you have a Lineker (or for us, an Andy Walker), who looks at penalties as a sure fire way to boost their goal tally.

That said, as Bobo points out, Cravies has been reliable up until, yesterday. I wonder if he spotted Lennon was trying to issue orders and was trying too hard to make a point?

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:27 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
EverSoYouri wrote:

Wasn't he a TV chef ??

The penalty taker should be the one with the coolest head. But Cravies has been fine so far. Anyway, one for the training ground and decisions before the match for me ... though they've had a hectic week.
Ah, the Galloping Right Back. Happy days. Time for a quick slurp (and a penalty despatched to the bottom left corner). :wink: