Peeters and Lee - Charlton (a) 21/10/14

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Re: Peeters and Lee - Charlton (a) 21/10/14

Post by Enoch » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:40 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Hopefully, one of our Darn Sarf contingent, would be good enough to put up a match report for us? Sounds from the short posts from TonyD and Twilight that we played pretty well, but would be good to get the full script. :-)
I got to the pub nice and early but the rest of 'em dragged their heels. Time they all turned up I was already rocking and rolling. Domingos, as ever, got his round in and as we approached kick off things were nicely balanced.

As half time loomed Tony's southern softie mate made an early lunge for the bar, all well and good, but all they had on offer was maiden's water or piss. I took a pint of piss, though on reflection I'm partial........

Enough of that!

Second half was a dull affair as the fellas selling 'hot dogs' had wrapped up and gone home. Can you believe they didn't have any fried onions!! Then, to my consternation, as the full time whistle blew some bloke I know offered me a lift home. Disgusted with myself I accepted and baled out of the after match debriefing back at the Antigallican.

I need to take a long hard look at myself!

All in all it was a good evening, we bested for ninety minutes and lost. Bollocks, seen it before, will see it again.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:43 pm

He wasn't going to turn around the shambles that Dougie left. He's starting from a far worse position than Coyle left for Dougie IMO. The turnaround in performance is massive, I'm confident that results will follow, but it could take quite a few games to sort them out.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:10 am

officer_dibble wrote:I always feel if we get beckford scoring he'll work well here...but very low on confidence perhaps and I am not confident in him turning it round.

Masons an interesting one - but glad clayton getting a chance, and craig davies been the best of the bunch in my view!

Get a goalscorer we could fly up the league.
There's low on confidence and then there's heading it with your feckin neck when unmarked from ten yards out.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:21 am

Enoch wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:Hopefully, one of our Darn Sarf contingent, would be good enough to put up a match report for us? Sounds from the short posts from TonyD and Twilight that we played pretty well, but would be good to get the full script. :-)
I got to the pub nice and early but the rest of 'em dragged their heels. Time they all turned up I was already rocking and rolling. Domingos, as ever, got his round in and as we approached kick off things were nicely balanced.

As half time loomed Tony's southern softie mate made an early lunge for the bar, all well and good, but all they had on offer was maiden's water or piss. I took a pint of piss, though on reflection I'm partial........

Enough of that!

Second half was a dull affair as the fellas selling 'hot dogs' had wrapped up and gone home. Can you believe they didn't have any fried onions!! Then, to my consternation, as the full time whistle blew some bloke I know offered me a lift home. Disgusted with myself I accepted and baled out of the after match debriefing back at the Antigallican.

I need to take a long hard look at myself!

All in all it was a good evening, we bested for ninety minutes and lost. Bollocks, seen it before, will see it again.
Ah, that's where you were! The debriefing was brief and Dan was his usual cheery self :D

On to more serious matters ..... It's easy to forget that NL has been with us for just nine days, but he seems to have brought about one hell of a transformation. We were all over Charlton: loads of one touch stuff and we knocked the ball around the park reasonably comfortably. But, we did lack that killer finish. A million corners and half a dozen free kicks around the area, yet nothing threatening. Bex had two decent(ish) chances in the first half, both fluffed; and DPratz managed to skew a good chance well wide just after we'd scored. Whereas they had just two goal scoring opportunities and took both (woeful defending on each occasion).

That said, I was very impressed and Brentford could well be on the end of a spanking if we can get it right on Saturday.

Plus, there were around 500 there tonight. Great support, lots of singing, team applauded off at the end and a very positive vibe overall. Onwards & upwards!
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

jetsetwilly
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jetsetwilly » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:40 am

We simply must find funding to get a goalscorer. Do that and we will do just fine. NL has organised the mess left by Dougie in quick time but he is limited with such dross up front

Vertigo
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Vertigo » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:57 am

jetsetwilly wrote:We simply must find funding to get a goalscorer. Do that and we will do just fine. NL has organised the mess left by Dougie in quick time but he is limited with such dross up front
Mills up top?

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:52 am

maybe ive been spending too much time down south but bogs in the Antigallican made me heave :vomit:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:42 am

officer_dibble wrote:I always feel if we get beckford scoring he'll work well here...but very low on confidence perhaps and I am not confident in him turning it round.

Masons an interesting one - but glad clayton getting a chance, and craig davies been the best of the bunch in my view!

we have a better goalscorer than Beckford - Mason - yet he was totally frozen out... yes - he's a loanee and people keep saying they'd rather see our own players picked over loanees... not me - I'd rather see a sriker who can score than one who (currently) can't.

Mason isn't shit-hot-ace-pants - but if there's a shedload of chances I'd rather see Mason on the end of them tbh....

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:14 am

General Mannerheim wrote:maybe ive been spending too much time down south but bogs in the Antigallican made me heave :vomit:
Passed up on that particular offering.

Though I did get wind of the problem, as it were.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:31 am

thebish wrote:

we have a better goalscorer than Beckford - Mason - yet he was totally frozen out... yes - he's a loanee and people keep saying they'd rather see our own players picked over loanees... not me - I'd rather see a sriker who can score than one who (currently) can't.

Mason isn't shit-hot-ace-pants - but if there's a shedload of chances I'd rather see Mason on the end of them tbh....
As someone said earlier, the bloke's 10 days into the job. If he's still picking a non-scoring Beckford after the end of January and hasn't tried Mason, when he might have had some (limited) chance to work on a replacement, then it probably needs further comment - but really, 2 games in? He has to be given some leeway to try what he thinks he needs to, even if it's crystal clear to us, that it's a fools errand...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:40 am

Worthy4England wrote:
thebish wrote:

As someone said earlier, the bloke's 10 days into the job. If he's still picking a non-scoring Beckford after the end of January and hasn't tried Mason, when he might have had some (limited) chance to work on a replacement, then it probably needs further comment - but really, 2 games in? He has to be given some leeway to try what he thinks he needs to, even if it's crystal clear to us, that it's a fools errand...
MORE than happy to give him leeway!! this isn't a Lennon-out post! - I just think it's best to say what you think - and that's what I think!

(also - given that he has scouted Beckford - he allegedly wanted to sign him for Celtic - this isn't the first time he's seen him... I'd LOVE Lennon to unlock what he - and Freedman - once saw in Beckford... but how patient will we need to be and how much time can we afford to wait for it to happen?)

I'm still as giddy as the next man when it comes to our new manager! 8)

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:14 am

Illuminating but ultimately frustrating. First time I've seen us play for a long while with such enthusiasm to want the ball, move it around and well, you know, play football. And we did it bloody well at times. That was really great to see.

What wasn't great to see was how we froze when we came to the eighteen yard box. Feeney - a man who was hug the touchline and run down it - for some reason felt the need to stand on the ball when we were breaking, allowing charlton to regroup. One of the few times a quick cross came in (I think from Spearing?) Beckford had a free header and should have scored. Obviously not saying that will happen all the time but if we're playing this quick-breaking style then the delivery needs to also be quick!

Misses from beckford and pratley didn't help the spirits either, as well as some indecision a-la last week in terms of getting the pass right.

Will need to see the goals again before I pass judgement but Pru, Tony and I were in agreement that someone must have fecked up to allow that. Not seen the second one as I was nursing a pint with Enoch (who is convinced I had a different username between mrkint and keysersoze - "A conspiracy," he cried).

Mark Davies came on the right wing and showed he wasn't a right winger. Great to see Chungy playing well in the middle. Moxey thought he was Cafu pinging balls crossfield, but did that once too often and charlton figured him out going forward.

Either way good to catch up with Enoch, Tony, his mate Andy and Pru (who i hadn't seen for nearly two months, which was great). Onwards and upwards, hopefully with an end product to what we're playing...either to Norwich next Friday or Millwall the friday before christmas!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:38 am

KeyserSoze wrote:Either way good to catch up with....Pru (who i hadn't seen for nearly two months, which was great).
Yeah we've heard that one. :lol: :twisted:

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:41 am

I was trying to partake in 'bants' and imply that not seeing pru has been a blessing. I don't know if i succeeded?

I need coffee.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:43 am

General Mannerheim wrote:maybe ive been spending too much time down south but bogs in the Antigallican made me heave :vomit:
Didn't go in them but from past experience just a load of mucky pics on the wall and some floor tiles? They're a bit grim but I wouldn't have said noticably so. Though the trough was a bit of a throwback.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:51 am

Lennon's view

http://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/article/neil ... 31619.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:01 pm

I'm sick of hearing about fight and commitment. That's the bare minimum I expect from the players. We want to see some quality.

Well said, that man. We've not even been seeing the bare minimum for so long, we've been accustomed to it.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:16 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Didn't go in them but from past experience just a load of mucky pics on the wall and some floor tiles? They're a bit grim but I wouldn't have said noticably so. Though the trough was a bit of a throwback.
oh ive seen worse, it was just the STANK. some ruthless fu cker mustve obliterated the trap or summat.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:24 pm

Ah right :D thankful i managed to save my piss for the ground then!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:47 pm

Jugs wrote:Did Beckford have more than 1 shot today? I can't remember him doing.
Three with two on target, according to WhoScored. (To which the answer is "not him, or anyone else bar a defender".)