Dragon slayers! - Cardiff City (H) 04/11/14

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Dragon slayers! - Cardiff City (H) 04/11/14

Post by SmokinFrazier » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:45 pm

The worry for me defensively is Mills. I think he's a good defender in certain situations but he's getting caught out with this high line Lennon likes. His lack of pace means he won't catch strikers if they get in behind him and unlike other slow defenders at a team with a high line, such as Mertesacker at Arsenal, Mills' reading of the game isn't good enough to intercept passes to prevent a striker getting in behind him. I have fewer concerns about Dervite though. I rate Wheater too but he's also really slow and these players are always going to be vulnerable the further then are up the pitch.

I do think a high line helps us though but I just expect certain players, Mills in particular at the moment, to get caught out by it. Hopefully he improves in time.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:08 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:

I do think a high line helps us though but I just expect certain players, Mills in particular at the moment, to get caught out by it. Hopefully he improves in time.
I was very glad to see Kenwyne Jones unavailable last night for that very reason.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:58 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:The worry for me defensively is Mills. I think he's a good defender in certain situations but he's getting caught out with this high line Lennon likes. His lack of pace means he won't catch strikers if they get in behind him and unlike other slow defenders at a team with a high line, such as Mertesacker at Arsenal, Mills' reading of the game isn't good enough to intercept passes to prevent a striker getting in behind him. I have fewer concerns about Dervite though. I rate Wheater too but he's also really slow and these players are always going to be vulnerable the further then are up the pitch.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but he's a real nuisance in the box when we get a corner... Swings... Roundabouts (tbh seeing the virtues of Mills has been a long and circular journey).

Eborted
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Eborted » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:58 am

Had to come on here to post to stick up for Mills. I see your concerns but he read the game alright last night making some excellent blocks and interceptions. He also won everything in the air and put in a captains performance and on another day could of had another goal. I'm not sold on Dervite who admittedly was ok tonight. The guy who said Pratley was terrible is also very wrong and I think the man is one of the worst signings of all time but tonight he assisted a goal made some probing runs and won plenty of balls in midfield. Yes he had his Pratley moments but cut him some slack. Rankings I'd give 10 to CD and Mills 9 to Feeney 8 to CYL, Pratters and Lonergan and the rest a 7 barring subs. Vela played really well but I think some of the praise will come from the shock he wasn't fecking terrible still had to be bailed out a few times by the centre backs. Best we've played since Hull that

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:57 am

William the White wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:The worry for me defensively is Mills. I think he's a good defender in certain situations but he's getting caught out with this high line Lennon likes. His lack of pace means he won't catch strikers if they get in behind him and unlike other slow defenders at a team with a high line, such as Mertesacker at Arsenal, Mills' reading of the game isn't good enough to intercept passes to prevent a striker getting in behind him. I have fewer concerns about Dervite though. I rate Wheater too but he's also really slow and these players are always going to be vulnerable the further then are up the pitch.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but he's a real nuisance in the box when we get a corner... Swings... Roundabouts (tbh seeing the virtues of Mills has been a long and circular journey).
Yeah, that's true, I like the threat he poses in the opposition box as well. He's not a bad defender at all either but he's better at dealing with situations than anticipating them and snuffing them out, if that makes sense. I think if we're going to play a high line, which I'm not against, then we need to have decent protection for the centre backs otherwise they'll get caught out too often and we'll be relying on our keeper to save us.

Hopefully Mills will adapt to this higher line and start attacking the ball a bit better. A lack of pace in a high line isn't impossible to get around but it probably needs a change in attitude from the defenders, Mills in particular and the same will go for Wheater when he returns from injury. Both are good enough defenders but if they miss an interception or a tackle, there's no way they're going to be able to recover in time so they need to be careful.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:11 pm

Prufrock wrote:Beckford, Eagles, Klasnic, Elmander, SKD ?

Tailing on Worthy's hard work. Pretty sure he's skipped a year (blanketing out a relegation without Elmander, but with David N'Gog - who, I think, surprisingly doesn't make this list) with his last one having gone the season before (and being sold in Jan when on 15 and still top scorer?).
Sorry, forgot to answer this - work got in the way.

top scorers last six seasons, in reverse chronological order:
Beckford 9
Eagles 12
Klasnic 9
Elmander 12
SKD 9
SKD 12

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:26 pm

It's amazing how all of them (barring the exception of Beckford who is still here) have been allowed to leave on frees.

With SKD it was the right time to go.

But Klasnic was a belting finisher. I know we got relegated but I'm sure we could have convinced him to stay on reduced terms had we bothered to try.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:33 pm

Eagles is still without a club. He's only 28...

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:42 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Eagles is still without a club. He's only 28...
... & would that actually be a stupid move do you think ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:58 pm

I'd have him back. Quality player. I've no idea if he was one of the players Dougie claimed disrupted the dressing room, but I take most of what he said with a pinch of salt anyway.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:05 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Eagles is still without a club. He's only 28...
... & would that actually be a stupid move do you think ?
I'm more expressing surprise that nobody's been in for him than saying he'd be good for us. That said, you imagine his wage demands wouldn't be that high*, especially considering he trained with Millwall in summer; Lennon wants width; he knows the area and is definitely capable, perhaps especially with the right management. I suppose we've got Feeney and Chungy but if he were left-sided I'd say we could do far far worse.

*Or, conversely, they're so high that NOBODY will touch him

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:10 pm

Well, he's certainly must have been pricing himself out of the market & has a lost year to make up for. So, whether with us, Millwall or Southend he has a decision to make I guess. I'm sure he's worth a few bob, but at 28 he needs to decide whether to bother again or not.

I'd take him back.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:52 pm

Prufrock wrote:Beckford, Eagles, Klasnic, Elmander, SKD ?

Tailing on Worthy's hard work. Pretty sure he's skipped a year (blanketing out a relegation without Elmander, but with David N'Gog - who, I think, surprisingly doesn't make this list) with his last one having gone the season before (and being sold in Jan when on 15 and still top scorer?).
Clearly that year I skipped never happened, didn't exist and should never be referred to. :-)

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:33 pm

With regards to Eagles, thought the saying was "never go back" ? I did like Eagles when he was here, but I don't know if he's a "Lennon" kind of player? I wouldn't have him back now.

By the way, I would have commented on the game, as i was there. All i was saying to myself, wow, what a difference a good manager makes, who knows what he's doing. BUT...I've had wo(man)flu since :cry: since some person at the side of me was coughing all through the match. Thanks whoever that was!!
Enjoyed the game though, FREEBIE tickets as well!..thought C Davies MOM, followed by CYL, Pratley, Feeney, Mills and Danns. Well done lads, looking forward to tomorrow and got tickets for the Blackpool game....Bring it on :Jedi:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:56 pm

I'd take Eagles back, we only have Mavies who runs at and commits defenders. Chungy is starting to do it again, but he's a more subtle kind of player. I think Eagles could do some real damage in a team playing the Lennon rather than Freedman way. It would have to be a 'take it or leave it' offer on our terms, but it wouldn't be a climbdown for him now we've a new manager.

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:28 pm

LeverEnd wrote:I'd take Eagles back, we only have Mavies who runs at and commits defenders. Chungy is starting to do it again, but he's a more subtle kind of player. I think Eagles could do some real damage in a team playing the Lennon rather than Freedman way. It would have to be a 'take it or leave it' offer on our terms, but it wouldn't be a climbdown for him now we've a new manager.
Yeah, I agree with all that. If he was offered a 2 week trial, Lennon could get a chance to look at him and see whether he's worth an offer, lower than he was on before, and if he did impress, I'd be happy with him back. He's not a bad player at all. He's frustrating at his worst but a game winner when he's on form too, and the more of them you have, the better. Freedman always favoured consistent workhorses over those who can provide magic, so Eagles didn't really fit in, but he'd be much more affective under Lennon I think.

Unless we can get a goalscorer up front, we could do with another midfielder like Eagles to chip in too.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:39 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:I'd take Eagles back, we only have Mavies who runs at and commits defenders. Chungy is starting to do it again, but he's a more subtle kind of player. I think Eagles could do some real damage in a team playing the Lennon rather than Freedman way. It would have to be a 'take it or leave it' offer on our terms, but it wouldn't be a climbdown for him now we've a new manager.
Yeah, I agree with all that. If he was offered a 2 week trial, Lennon could get a chance to look at him and see whether he's worth an offer, lower than he was on before, and if he did impress, I'd be happy with him back. He's not a bad player at all. He's frustrating at his worst but a game winner when he's on form too, and the more of them you have, the better. Freedman always favoured consistent workhorses over those who can provide magic, so Eagles didn't really fit in, but he'd be much more affective under Lennon I think.

Unless we can get a goalscorer up front, we could do with another midfielder like Eagles to chip in too.
Whilst I agree with what you said to an extent, is it not a little telling that absolutely no teams at our level have signed him? You're right on his day he can win matches at this level, so I'd have thought he'd have been snapped up by now. I think it was the right time for him to leave us with poor performances, the rumoured DF falling out, and high wages but I didn't originally think he'd be without a club approaching Christmas.

I do find it odd that he is still a free agent and it makes me wonder if he's really, really unfit (possible as I haven't heard of him training anywhere); or if he has priced himself out of the market and teams are of the opinion that his good days are too few and far between to justify his anonymity, lack of tracking back, and general poor play that is associated with him on his bad days.

I remember reading that he bounced around on a few trials for Championship clubs, including Millwall, nearer the start of the season yet not one went after him. I think it would be interesting to see him play under Lennon with an attacking style, but to me there must be something deeper if he's not been able to get an offer yet.
I think it's the wages. Unrealistic expectations based on the inflated deal he had before. It's got to the point now where he'll have to take what he can get if he wants to continue playing. Not good enough for Prem, and the big wages aren't going to be available in our league unless a relegated club is stuck with them.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:51 pm

I'd take him if Lennon wants him. Like a shot.

A match winner when he wants to be. Which is not often enough.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:08 am

William the White wrote:I'd take him if Lennon wants him. Like a shot.

Christ on a bike. Why?

He clearly can't be arsed, hence the fact no-one is interested.

We should be looking to the future, get someone in from the lower leagues who's hungry to do well!
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:25 am

Andy Waller wrote:
William the White wrote:I'd take him if Lennon wants him. Like a shot.

Christ on a bike. Why?

He clearly can't be arsed, hence the fact no-one is interested.

We should be looking to the future, get someone in from the lower leagues who's hungry to do well!
We did that with Clayton and he missed the kinda chance against Norwich that Eagles would have gobbled up :P

It's okay getting players in from the lower leagues, but they're not always ready made. And with our budget, I doubt we can pluck one of the very best who is ready now. But if Lennon is serious about challenging for something much more than just relegation this year, someone like Eagles would be ideal for the here and now.