The KNIGHT-mare Reloaded - Ipswich home

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Re: The KNIGHT-mare Reloaded - Ipswich home

Post by Tombwfc » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:49 pm

I agree that Mason can't do the job that Craig Davies does, but I'm far from convinced that Conor Wilkinson can either. On the few occasions I've seen him he hasn't imposed himself on the opposition centre halves at all. His best moments have come when he's dropped deep and used the fact that he appears to be a handy footballer.

You can't just pick people on the basis that they are tall and therefore must be an all action target man, otherwise let's have Tom Eaves back. There's nothing in the rules that says if you play one up front, you have to nice person balls at their head all game and leave them completely isolated.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:12 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
jaffka wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I don't think Mason is a poacher per se but he needs to play in a front two, preferably as the deeper one. He was mainly hopeless in his first loan spell last year alone up top, and it's absolutely no coinkydink that his very productive second spell came when he was playing off a very good (for this division) target man in Juke.

On the subject of Juke, I don't wish to pine for him - after all, Lennon almost certainly has other options in mind - but I do find myself wondering what happens if Vokes comes back strong and Ings keep popping 'em in... and then accidentally find myself wishing Burnley well (shudders)
Juke is doing quite well for them, he got the pen against villa.

They like him, if they were to send a player out more likely to be Barnes who is very slow.
Or Sordell, who is very shit.

It has clearly been NL's policy to use his own players in preference to those on loan, thus far. January will bring two tests _ will he be able to hold on to those he wants to keep (most notably CYL - might be a good thing he's away for much of the month) and will he try to get loans or signings? (And will he shake off the SAD that seems to be affecting him in this week's interview? :roll: )

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:45 pm

jaffka wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I don't think Mason is a poacher per se but he needs to play in a front two, preferably as the deeper one. He was mainly hopeless in his first loan spell last year alone up top, and it's absolutely no coinkydink that his very productive second spell came when he was playing off a very good (for this division) target man in Juke.

On the subject of Juke, I don't wish to pine for him - after all, Lennon almost certainly has other options in mind - but I do find myself wondering what happens if Vokes comes back strong and Ings keep popping 'em in... and then accidentally find myself wishing Burnley well (shudders)
Juke is doing quite well for them, he got the pen against villa.

They like him, if they were to send a player out more likely to be Barnes who is very slow.
Juke started the season but since Ings has been back I think Barnes has been starting over Juke. I'd happily have either, but not Sordell!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:04 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Re - the prospect of seeing Eidur tomorrow. The last time I felt like this was Christmas Eve 1978 when I'd sussed that I was getting a new bike for Christmas. :D
If I've understood this right, in 1978 for Xmas you were given a bike that you'd previously owned in 1964 and which was so impressive, some rich kid down the road practically stole it off you, rode it until it were knackered, passed it onto half a dozen others and then your folks bought it back for you. A pale imitation of that bike you owned all those years ago. You must have been gutted :P
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:38 pm

people are going off the subject again!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:52 pm

Sorry! :oops:

1-1 draw. Clayton for us
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:01 pm

Could Clayton not play centrally? Maybe with Mason? Sure he came as a centre forward from Crewe not a winger.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:15 pm

Priority is a front man who can take the ball, control it and use it, otherwise any long ball clearance we might as well just give to the opposition. Craig Davies, to be fair,has done a decent job of doing that up front, but our games isn't just hopeful long-ball any more. We're working the ball forward and getting to the danger zone but not capitalising. If we're going to have possession for a build up then lose it and give that possession away, we might as well just try a speculative shot or two occasionally. We have players capable of shooting and, hopefully the inclusion of Eidur might change things a bit. One way or another, up front finishing is our weakest area right now.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:20 pm

Was going to guess and say 4-2-3-1, Eidur on the wing in a three with Chungy and Feeney, then Clayton/Wilkinson up front. But, the more I think about it the more I think he's either up front or in the middle of the three (if he plays), got to put a finisher in the box! More interesting than normal to see what happens selection-wise this week.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:04 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:Sorry! :oops:

1-1 draw. Clayton for us
no!! I meant - going off the subject of Britt Eckland's arse!! :D

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:32 am

thebish wrote:

1-1 draw. Clayton for us
:lol: as you were then.....

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:48 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
thebish wrote:

1-1 draw. Clayton for us
:lol: as you were then.....
Hadn't the arse been exposed as not Britt Ecklands but an imposter's...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:12 pm

only, I believe, in SOME situations... Bruce's contribution was, I believe 100% genuine Britt-arse!

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:03 pm

A good test today of how much Lennon can get the team up against supposedly better opposition.

Cravies will be missed so the forward selection will be interesting.

Hopefully Eidur will be on the bench.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:09 pm

any team nooz leaking out anywhere?

cophilie
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by cophilie » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:11 pm

Lonergan, Mills, Dervite, Wheater, Ream; Pratley, Danns; Feeney, Clayton, Lee; Wilkinson

From the BWFC Twitter.

(Four centre backs?!)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:15 pm

Subs: Bogdan, Moxey, Spearing, Hall, Trotter, Gudjohnsen, Vela

Intriguing that Vela has been dropped with still no right-back. I know Wheater has played there in the distant past but really, would you fancy him there?

cophilie
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by cophilie » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:16 pm

Wasn't Wheater relatively terrible every time he's played right back? And he's going to be rusty...

Oh dear. Getting scared now

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:23 pm

cophilie wrote:Lonergan, Mills, Dervite, Wheater, Ream; Pratley, Danns; Feeney, Clayton, Lee; Wilkinson

From the BWFC Twitter.

(Four centre backs?!)

cheers! :eh:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:23 pm

cophilie wrote:Wasn't Wheater relatively terrible every time he's played right back? And he's going to be rusty...

Oh dear. Getting scared now
he has an extra three yards of pace in his head! :wink: