Huddersfield Town v BWFC, 28th Dec match thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Huddersfield Town v BWFC, 28th Dec match thread

Post by Jugs » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:45 am

The problem is Trotter gave the ball away twice in key areas on Sunday that led to goals. First one, he tried turning in front of his own penalty box instead of just clearing it. Second, you just cannot give the ball away in such a position late in the game. It was a sluggish, lazy pass that conceded momentum in a key area. Moments after their first goal, he was running down the wing, had a chance to lay it off to Pratley for a cross, but he kept hold of it and lost possession. I'm not saying he's always terrible, but it was clear on Sunday that he just wasn't at the races. Probably summed up when the board lit up with his number, he started trotting to the touch line, and then came back, unsure whether that was really his number. Honestly, he seemed completely out of sorts.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:37 am

I'm not going to slam him for trying to play football, most of our fans want us to play nice football then when we lose it go "what you doing that for!", but I do think he's pretty shit from what I've seen. Which is every time he's played at the Reebok
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:20 am

boltonboris wrote:I'm not going to slam him for trying to play football, most of our fans want us to play nice football then when we lose it go "what you doing that for!", but I do think he's pretty shit from what I've seen. Which is every time he's played at the Reebok

Was he here last season??

:D
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:02 pm

Enoch wrote:
I don't expect anyone else to agree with me, but I do get the impression some players, for whatever reason, become unfashionable and are criticised come what may. Just as others achieve plaudits that outweigh their contribution because they are fashionable.
I certainly agree. We've got one of the best examples of this at the moment in big Emile.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:04 pm

Hoboh wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:. Then again I defended Ngog, Sordell and Beckford, what do I know?!
Did you? :shock:

Your right

Now't :mrgreen:
Well only for a bit, I'm over optimistic.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:44 pm

Hoboh wrote:

I liked SKD Tango but would you really, now, at the level Keith is aiming for? I know about Heskey and Eider but long term I doubt either will be here.
Obviously not now Hoboh. His time's gone. But in his prime I'd have had him in any team. Even Anelka commented on how much he enjoyed playing with S.K.D. I doubt we'll ever get another.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:55 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Hoboh wrote:

I liked SKD Tango but would you really, now, at the level Keith is aiming for? I know about Heskey and Eider but long term I doubt either will be here.
Obviously not now Hoboh. His time's gone. But in his prime I'd have had him in any team. Even Anelka commented on how much he enjoyed playing with S.K.D. I doubt we'll ever get another.
Saw Preston highlights last night, long ball from defence, SKD flick-on, Beckford between the centre halves, ball in back of net! They started together in Garner's absence. They need to send us a thank-you card and a tin of roses if they go up.

Edit: Beckford was sub, they started together on boxing day.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:37 am

boltonboris wrote:I'm not going to slam him for trying to play football, most of our fans want us to play nice football then when we lose it go "what you doing that for!", but I do think he's pretty shit from what I've seen. Which is every time he's played at the Reebok
Interesting point I fancy.

I've been to four home games since he joined on loan and he hasn't featured in any of them. Maybe he's a better player on the road. Big lad though he is, he wouldn't be the first fella that was a tad fragile between the ears and I don't recall him receiving a very warm welcome when he arrived.

Whatever the truth of it, I can't see him ever becoming a fans favourite; probably best for all if he could move on.

That shouldn't be too hard being that he's fitted with castors.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:57 am

Enoch wrote:Then I won't mention Charlton last season when Trotter was our best player.

Thing is, I only see about five or six Bolton games a season, likely I'm just unlucky and catch some folk on their rare good days. Accordingly I can only judge on what I see, as opposed to what the received wisdom might be.

What I've seen of Trotter, including in a Millwall shirt, suggests to me he's not bad at the level we're playing. That doesn't necessarily mean he's any good, it just means when I read folk berating the guy it doesn't stand up against what I've witnessed myself. Similarly, I've yet to see Pratley have a bad game. I've seen him control the ball with his shin a good few times, but I look past that and see the positive stuff he brings to the side.

I don't expect anyone else to agree with me, but I do get the impression some players, for whatever reason, become unfashionable and are criticised come what may. Just as others achieve plaudits that outweigh their contribution because they are fashionable.
Whilst agreeing with the last para entirely, I think I have to take issue with the notion of Trotter being generally competent. In fairness, I didn't see him vs Charlton. He might have thrown all his competence into one game.

Pratley, I think, gets more stick than he deserves. Trotter on the other hand, I think gets about the level of stick commensurate with how he's performed in the games I've seen him in. It's often been difficult for me to try and work out where Trotter is supposed to be playing, or what his job is on the pitch.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:52 am

Spot on Worthy, that's how I feel about Trotter, wondering exactly what his role is on the pitch when he is on.....and that's not having a got at him, I genuinely don't know

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:21 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Enoch wrote:Then I won't mention Charlton last season when Trotter was our best player.

Thing is, I only see about five or six Bolton games a season, likely I'm just unlucky and catch some folk on their rare good days. Accordingly I can only judge on what I see, as opposed to what the received wisdom might be.

What I've seen of Trotter, including in a Millwall shirt, suggests to me he's not bad at the level we're playing. That doesn't necessarily mean he's any good, it just means when I read folk berating the guy it doesn't stand up against what I've witnessed myself. Similarly, I've yet to see Pratley have a bad game. I've seen him control the ball with his shin a good few times, but I look past that and see the positive stuff he brings to the side.

Whilst agreeing with the last para entirely, I think I have to take issue with the notion of Trotter being generally competent. In fairness, I didn't see him vs Charlton. He might have thrown all his competence into one game.

Poetry! :pray:

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:27 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/footba ... otter.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't know how to embed this as it's not on youtube.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:05 pm

Worthy4England wrote:He might have thrown all his competence into one game.
No, he definitely held some back for Millwall.

:wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:38 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/footba ... otter.html

Don't know how to embed this as it's not on youtube.
Bit surprised about his comment on not taking it all too seriously as it's a sport.(unless I misunderstood that?) Not really the thing you'd say about a job with similar wages, at least if you wished to keep it? I know he's young, but....?

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:45 pm

I think you may have misunderstood.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:58 pm

Enoch wrote:I think you may have misunderstood.
It's quite possible, I only skipped through it. Just sounded a bit odd at the time? I'll have another listen later.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:04 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Enoch wrote:I think you may have misunderstood.
It's quite possible, I only skipped through it. Just sounded a bit odd at the time? I'll have another listen later.
I took it as reference to the excesses of some football supporters rather than the attitude of professional footballers.

I may of course be mistaken.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:15 pm

Enoch wrote:

Which bit was that then? :-)

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:23 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Enoch wrote:

Which bit was that then? :-)
His discipline was very good.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:27 pm

Excellent!