Bijou Bob's Bargain Basement Buys - Jan transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Bijou Bob's Bargain Basement Buys - Jan transfer thread

Post by malcd1 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:37 pm

Ooooh. This thread is really taking off now.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:43 pm

malcd1 wrote:The LionofVienna site saying it was Matthew Lowton from Aston Villa who we were after on Monday. The Oracle mentioned a 25 year utility player / right back who might be released from his contract at a Premier League club. Lowton fits the bill although he cost Aston Villa £3m in 2012. There is now a suggestion that we he could be a loan option.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Lowton" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Villa fans seem to reckon he's dodgy defensively.

He has got a dream of a right foot on crosses though. Heskey love?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:48 pm

Some website I've never heard of reckon Pulis is after Spearing with £1.5m mentioned. WBA scouted him in the reserve outing t'other day.

Sorry, lost the link..

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:19 pm

Prufrock wrote:
malcd1 wrote:The LionofVienna site saying it was Matthew Lowton from Aston Villa who we were after on Monday. The Oracle mentioned a 25 year utility player / right back who might be released from his contract at a Premier League club. Lowton fits the bill although he cost Aston Villa £3m in 2012. There is now a suggestion that we he could be a loan option.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Lowton" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Villa fans seem to reckon he's dodgy defensively.

if he wasn't - I doubt they'd be touting him about...

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:28 pm

About a foot too short for Pulis though!
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:30 pm

Athers wrote:About a foot too short for Pulis though!
given Spearing's less than stellar role in Lennon's XIs so far - we could do worse than take £1.5million!

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:44 pm

He hasn't worked out for sure.

Almost as if when he first came he was playing his heart out trying to prove his worth to the Fenway set. Having failed to achieve his dream, then settling into a nice easy earner.

Maybe that's misrepresenting the lad, just struggling to come up with an alternative explanation.

And I doubt we could do any better than 1.5

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:21 pm

It's a shame things have gone wrong for Spearing, he looked pretty good the first year he was here.

The mental penalty he gave away against Forest was probably a warning of what we could expect. Then after he got smashed in Ibiza, things have just gone worse.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:32 pm

I find it very odd, he played really well in Lennon's first game at Birmingham and I thought he'd be right up Lennon's street. Either fell out or simply just doesn't rate him. There's no point keeping 2 presumably well paid centre mids like him and Medo on the bench when we have limited funds. If Spearing is available I'm sure there would be plenty of takers.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:34 pm

Aye, and Lennon wants to move Vela into CM soon as well.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:47 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:Some website I've never heard of reckon Pulis is after Spearing with £1.5m mentioned. WBA scouted him in the reserve outing t'other day.

Sorry, lost the link..
So I looked for it, and got a Google giggle...

Far from it. But there's no real returns, so not only have you not heard of the website, Google hasn't - which is worrying for the owners...

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:04 pm

http://www.sportinastorm.com/Premier-Le ... 84Z1868878" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:10 pm

Could AT have made this up?

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Post by danardif1 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:18 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:Some website I've never heard of reckon Pulis is after Spearing with £1.5m mentioned. WBA scouted him in the reserve outing t'other day.

Sorry, lost the link..
Hm, I still think there's something in Spearing as he was impressive during his initial loan. I think he lost a lot of confidence under Dougie and it's affected him, but that's a decent price given his recent form and I don't think we'd miss him a huge amount. Time will tell if your unknown website is right :)
I think he's a decent player as well, but the point about confidence sounds plausible, plus I don't think he's the type of player Lennon is really looking for in the midfield. He might be better than Danns, Pratley etc. but the way they play fits in more with what Lennon is trying to do with the team. They are high-energy, more dynamic players whereas Spearing is a player who tends to sit back and play from there. It works when you have the space to do it, but the way the midfield is set up right now is to make space for Chungy, not someone sitting deep. The other 2 central midfielders are essentially doing extra covering work so Chungy has a free reign, and Spearing isn't that kind of player.

Same goes for Medo really, who I like as a player but if we can get money for him I think he'd be better off playing regularly elsewhere. He's played Champions League football at Partizan Belgrade so it's not a question of overall quality.

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Post by danardif1 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:20 pm

Jugs wrote:Aye, and Lennon wants to move Vela into CM soon as well.
This. And Vela would slot in well in our midfield based on even what we've seen him do at RB... he's another high-energy player who would go box-to-box all game, with some quality to boot as well.

Having said that I think there's a good right back in him as well, and wouldn't necessarily complain if he made the move to that position more permanent... There's a Nicky Hunt-shaped hole in our defence and young Josh could be the one to take the mantle.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:25 pm

danardif1 wrote:
Jugs wrote:Aye, and Lennon wants to move Vela into CM soon as well.
This. And Vela would slot in well in our midfield based on even what we've seen him do at RB... he's another high-energy player who would go box-to-box all game, with some quality to boot as well.

Having said that I think there's a good right back in him as well, and wouldn't necessarily complain if he made the move to that position more permanent... There's a Nicky Hunt-shaped hole in our defence and young Josh could be the one to take the mantle.
Vela has played very well at right-back, but Lennon's said that he'll be looking to move him into midfield 'soon'. I'm guessing he's got other plans for RB, either Joe Riley or otherwise.

I have to say that I'm looking forward to seeing Vela in midfield.

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Post by danardif1 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:30 pm

It's great having the 'problem' of fitting these homegrown lads into the team... I'm looking forward to seeing Vela in his proper position too as I think he's been great for us at right back and that at least shows his versatility and a good footballing brain.

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:35 pm

I really liked Riley when he first came into the team but he's had such an awful injury record, I wonder how much it's hindered his progress and even if he is still a promising player, can he be relied upon in the future? I don't have a lot of faith in him being able to stay fit but I hope my pessimism is undeserved because he looked like a really bright prospect at one stage. His debut against Stoke was outstanding, one of the best debuts I've ever seen from a young player, so I hope he's been able to stay fit and is getting back to his best. I'd love to see Clough, Vela, Riley and the others in our team long term.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:07 am

Spearing to Villa or Southampton? Shurely shome mishtake...

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015/01/ ... departur/?

Even so, I agree with those who think there's a very decent player in there, somewhere. Would wish him well (and be glad to have his wages off the bill).

Vertigo
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Vertigo » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:20 am

Well Ngog went to Swansea right? Spearing in form, in the right team structure, can play premier league football.