FA Cup 4th Round - Fields of tw@t'n'cry - Liverpool (a)

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Tails07
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: FA Cup 4th Round - Fields of tw@t'n'cry - Liverpool (a)

Post by Tails07 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:32 pm

Really need some more fire power for the replay though especially with Eidur mis-firing today.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:37 pm

Mr Lennon must be well chuffed with that display of guts. That four minutes was no surprise after some of the refs calls. He let them savage our front men with no whistles. A bit of guile in midfield , a couple of chances up front, C.D back (and perhaps Chungy), and who knows?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:50 pm

Outplayed ... maybe. Certainly not out-fought, out-worked, or out-thought. A very, very good effort, away from home against a team in some form. They should be proud of themselves.

Well done Mr Lennon in getting the squad you mostly inherited, with all those injuries, to this level of enthusiasm and organisation and showing such spirit.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:53 pm

Proud of the boys tonight...Proud. They all worked hard and Boggers MOM!! Lennon is doing a fabulous job :)

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:56 pm

I thought that was an excellent performance. Tactically, we were well set up, particularly well prepared late on for their dominance of possession, but we were strong throughout the game. They had chances but they've got a squad packed with talent so you expect them to create chances against any team, never mind a Championship side. We were very good defensively overall and showed plenty of fight but our football was good in the first half too.

I'm a proud Wanderer tonight.

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:59 pm

Excellent performance. Probably most happy about Vela. He showed he's good enough for this level, let alone championship. His workrate, ball retention, tackling and passing were superb. Pratley immense. Defence was brilliant, not seen commitment and organisation like that since???? Who knew moxey could defend?

We need a new attack. If you add Chungy, Clough, and a quality striker and winger to that team, we would be very good indeed.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:06 pm

So much desire on show. Very pleased to take em back for a replay.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:12 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Outplayed ... maybe. Certainly not out-fought, out-worked, or out-thought. A very, very good effort, away from home against a team in some form. They should be proud of themselves.

Well done Mr Lennon in getting the squad you mostly inherited, with all those injuries, to this level of enthusiasm and organisation and showing such spirit.
bang on! :oyea:

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:15 pm

Spartan2 wrote:Excellent performance. Probably most happy about Vela. He showed he's good enough for this level, let alone championship. His workrate, ball retention, tackling and passing were superb. Pratley immense. Defence was brilliant, not seen commitment and organisation like that since???? Who knew moxey could defend?

We need a new attack. If you add Chungy, Clough, and a quality striker and winger to that team, we would be very good indeed.
If we could have Chungy, Mark Davies and a new striker, like Le Fondre, I'd be confident in Lennon getting us promoted and keeping us up. We're so close to being a very good team, it's just a shame we're lacking in creativity and goals.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:36 pm

Fantastic atmosphere and effort from fans snd players alike. Bogdans save looked outstanding, as was our overall performance. Rode the luck a bit but what a display of team defending that was. We didn't threaten much but so what? Delighted with that, great night to be a wanderers fan. Lennon is bringing back the magic.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:40 pm

Rode our luck at times (mills particularly - though glad to see the tart not get it given how he went down). Boggers' save immense. That said Eidur had two as good anything they had. Chungy and Cravies and we might have nicked it.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:41 pm

Some highlights here. Outstanding saves from Bogdan.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30860523

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:46 pm

Watched this on the box and the commentators kept banging on about the organisation at the back. The whole club, fans and players and backroom staff should be proud. Bolton are back on the football map.

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:58 pm

Just got back. That was thoroughly enjoyable. Pity we didn't have more clear cut chances, but overall we did ourselves proud. We rode our luck, but were certainly not totally out played. Good job Bogdan was on form. Looked like he made several world class saves from where I was standing.

The atmosphere (at our end anyway) was brilliant. Hopefully it came across on the TV?

As for the 'famous' Anfield atmosphere? Not surprised they didn't seem up for it today. Liverpool were woeful in many respects. If they have to watch that week in week out, they have my sympathy.

As others have said, we need some forwards. Heskey & Eidur are class, but they're simply past their best.

Not quite the performance of '93, but Lennon's getting some pride back in the club after too many years in decline.

Bring on the replay!!! :)
Hope is what keeps us going.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:01 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:
Spartan2 wrote:Excellent performance. Probably most happy about Vela. He showed he's good enough for this level, let alone championship. His workrate, ball retention, tackling and passing were superb. Pratley immense. Defence was brilliant, not seen commitment and organisation like that since???? Who knew moxey could defend?

If we could have Chungy, Mark Davies and a new striker, like Le Fondre, I'd be confident in Lennon getting us promoted and keeping us up. We're so close to being a very good team, it's just a shame we're lacking in creativity and goals.
ahh yes - mavis - forgot about him.. :(

can anyone remember how long he's supposed to be out for?

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:22 pm

6 months
Pfffft.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:42 pm

F*cking loved it. Scousers were silent - all this bull about them being "best fans in the world" is made up crap by the media. F*ck 'em.

Great defensive performance - Shaggy, Ream, Vela and Super Daz were fantastic in particular. If we'd been able to field Craig and Chungy instead of Heskey and Eidur, we'd have had them properly worried.

We go again. We'll shit 'em.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:45 pm

Little Green Man wrote:Some highlights here. Outstanding saves from Bogdan.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30860523
"Luck was not on the side of Rodgers's side today, but unlike fellow past winners Chelsea, Manchester City and Tottenham they live to fight another day in the FA Cup.
A similar display at the Reebok Stadium should see them through to the fifth round."
I hope you get that statement rammed back past your molars mate. :twisted:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Post by danardif1 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:51 pm

Always hopeful wrote:Just got back. That was thoroughly enjoyable. Pity we didn't have more clear cut chances, but overall we did ourselves proud. We rode our luck, but were certainly not totally out played. Good job Bogdan was on form. Looked like he made several world class saves from where I was standing.

The atmosphere (at our end anyway) was brilliant. Hopefully it came across on the TV?

As for the 'famous' Anfield atmosphere? Not surprised they didn't seem up for it today. Liverpool were woeful in many respects. If they have to watch that week in week out, they have my sympathy.

As others have said, we need some forwards. Heskey & Eidur are class, but they're simply past their best.

Not quite the performance of '93, but Lennon's getting some pride back in the club after too many years in decline.

Bring on the replay!!! :)
What is similar to that period though is the feeling that something's building under Lennon as it was under Rioch... Bruce's team was further along the way to it's 'completion' at that point but give Lennon time to reshuffle the squad a bit and we'll see similar fireworks from this side I reckon.

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:53 pm

thebish wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:

ahh yes - mavis - forgot about him.. :(

can anyone remember how long he's supposed to be out for?
He should be out for a while yet but he was at the training ground the other day, so I assume he's coming along well. Hopefully he's back in full training soon.