At Home to Norwich...

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

NiceHotCuppaTea
Promising
Promising

Re: At Home to Norwich...

Post by NiceHotCuppaTea » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:41 pm

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:28 am

bobo the clown wrote:McGinley on the wireless was insistent that there were some investors prowling. That could be important in keeping Lenin here I think.
If Eddie cannot find a buyer I'll be surprised if Lennon's here next season.

Caro-Kann
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Caro-Kann » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:09 pm

TANGODANCER wrote: Why do we always seems to be defending at the death instead of doing what the opposition are doing to us and going for the winner? How many is that now, eight?
I agree, sitting back and trying to hold on for the point at the end just handed the initiative to them.

Fair play to Alex Neil, I was a bit doubtful if he'd be able to handle the step up from Hamilton, but he seems to have managed to impart the same characteristics that brought success to his Accies team on to the Canaries.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:29 pm

I fancy the stats flatter Norwich, not that much between the teams for me.

They had a bit more pace available and looked more of a threat up front. Mind you, Tango might have looked better than Heskey, waste of a shirt and Gudjohnsen, for all his class, doesn't offer much.

I thought Ream Dervite and Moxey coped well with their bit of quality, though I'd call Dervite for the winner. Bit harsh as otherwise he was solid.

Bannan is busy and tenacious, but he didn't actually create much. Catches the eye and whilst undoubtedly good technically, not much value without product.

Walker keeps his eye on the ball and the first goal hits him in the chest, dreadful. His cross for our goal was top draw.

Bruno3
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Bruno3 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:27 pm

Enoch wrote:I fancy the stats flatter Norwich, not that much between the teams for me.

They had a bit more pace available and looked more of a threat up front. Mind you, Tango might have looked better than Heskey, waste of a shirt and Gudjohnsen, for all his class, doesn't offer much.

I thought Ream Dervite and Moxey coped well with their bit of quality, though I'd call Dervite for the winner. Bit harsh as otherwise he was solid.

Bannan is busy and tenacious, but he didn't actually create much. Catches the eye and whilst undoubtedly good technically, not much value without product.

Walker keeps his eye on the ball and the first goal hits him in the chest, dreadful. His cross for our goal was top draw.
Ream did OK. Moxey played one lovely square ball into the penalty area (sadly it was ours) and Dervite switches off too easily. In the first half he played the ball into touch and turned away towards our goal with his back to the Norwich lad who was looking to take a quick throw. Fortunately for Dervite play was stopped for an injury near the halfway line which Dervite couldn't have seen as he was looking at the floor.
Gudjohnsen's touch is outstanding, he never gets caught in possession and 99% of the time finds a white shirt in space. Walker has the makings of a good player but needs to take lessons from Eidur on not getting caught in possession.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:37 pm

Lenny was quite critical of Walker post-match, saying that there's only an hour in him and that it isn't good enough!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:08 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Lenny was quite critical of Walker post-match, saying that there's only an hour in him and that it isn't good enough!
He didn't hold back about the first goal either, which probably needed saying. On the one hand he might've gone easy on a youngster in public, but on the other you need him to never do that again... and presumably listen to what he's being told on the training pitch.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:29 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Lenny was quite critical of Walker post-match, saying that there's only an hour in him and that it isn't good enough!
He didn't hold back about the first goal either, which probably needed saying. On the one hand he might've gone easy on a youngster in public, but on the other you need him to never do that again... and presumably listen to what he's being told on the training pitch.
Nah, sorry. Calling out your young players in public is terrible management. I'm intrigued to read the quotes.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:35 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Armchair Wanderer wrote:
Nah, sorry. Calling out your young players in public is terrible management. I'm intrigued to read the quotes.
he's got form... he did a few weeks back, didn't he? I forget who the target was that time...

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:39 pm

thebish wrote:
Armchair Wanderer wrote:
he's got form... he did a few weeks back, didn't he? I forget who the target was that time...
He's an angry little f*cker.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:15 pm

Bruno3 wrote:Gudjohnsen's touch is outstanding, he never gets caught in possession and 99% of the time finds a white shirt in space.
Not my usual modus operandi, but I had a look. His pass accuracy this season is 79% which of the players we've used has him tied for 9th place, level with those notable fan's favourites, Connor Wilkinson and Robert Hall.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:26 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:
Fromt' BEN.

“He played well but I’m not happy that he’s blowing up after 60 minutes,” he said. “I’m sick of watching him fade with half an hour to go.

“That might be a youth thing. I’m delighted with his talent, and with the quality of his play, some of it is very good but he needs to finish games better.”
May the bridges I burn light your way

Vertigo
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Vertigo » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:51 am

Fair call too. Stamina should be the least of your worries at that age.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:27 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Armchair Wanderer wrote:
Fromt' BEN.

“He played well but I’m not happy that he’s blowing up after 60 minutes,” he said. “I’m sick of watching him fade with half an hour to go.

“That might be a youth thing. I’m delighted with his talent, and with the quality of his play, some of it is very good but he needs to finish games better.”
Ta. Not as bad as the original hysterical description made out. Who was that reactive poster?!

Bruno3
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Bruno3 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:07 am

Enoch wrote:
Bruno3 wrote:Gudjohnsen's touch is outstanding, he never gets caught in possession and 99% of the time finds a white shirt in space.
Not my usual modus operandi, but I had a look. His pass accuracy this season is 79% which of the players we've used has him tied for 9th place, level with those notable fan's favourites, Connor Wilkinson and Robert Hall.
Statistics - you know what they say about them

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:39 am

Bruno3 wrote:
Enoch wrote:
aye - that 99% one that you used being a case in point!! :D

Bruno3
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Bruno3 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:21 am

thebish wrote:
Bruno3 wrote:
Enoch wrote:
aye - that 99% one that you used being a case in point!! :D
I promise never to use statistics again - especially my made up ones - please don't be mean to me - I'm just an average guy with the standard deviations and a slightly smaller than average lower quartile :D

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:37 am

Bruno3 wrote:
I promise never to use statistics again - especially my made up ones - please don't be mean to me - I'm just an average guy with the standard deviations and a slightly smaller than average lower quartile :D
:D

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:41 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Armchair Wanderer wrote:
Fromt' BEN.

Ta. Not as bad as the original hysterical description made out. Who was that reactive poster?!

Wasn't me, but he also laid into him for ducking out in the wall for the free-kick; I remember thinking it was a bit harsh. He's been critical of them before (Clough maybe?), but in what seemed like a "I'm treating you like a pro, come on, step up" way. This was more "The goal was Tom's fault and it's not good enough". I'll have a look...
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:51 am

1:14 on.

"Their goal, unfortunate in that it took a break of the wall[?]" (What was that Richie Bernaud quote about not using statements as questions?)

"No, its not good enough, because Tom's turned his back, it's not good enough...young player....not good enough, although he was exceptional today, but you can't do that, it's not good enough, it's unprofessional and has to be better".

Seems like he caught himself half-way through. Also, I'm a little unsure as to whether or not he feels it reached the appropriate level of goodness or not.

In mitigation he was still riled from describing the goal we conceded just before, about which he was "fizzing" apparently!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.