2015/16 pre-season

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

NiceHotCuppaTea
Promising
Promising

Re: 2015/16 pre-season

Post by NiceHotCuppaTea » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:36 pm

Mar wrote:Pretty poss poor that we can't get a better side for the last friendly.
Charlton were also meant to play them and that's been cancelled, hence why we're playing them. Fair enough, really.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:20 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Mar wrote:Pretty poss poor that we can't get a better side for the last friendly. Especially seeing as we play them during the regular season.

First Barcelona b team. Now a team in our own league. I'd imagine chiego are to blame but surely the emphasis should be on treating the fans to a showcase fixture an not a case of oh that'll do
At such short notice I guess beggars can't be choosers.

... & what's it matter, except we WILL be playing them in the normal season ?

I think the fact we'll be playing them in the normal season is the problem. It smacks of laziness by the club that they didn't want to do the legwork to get another team registered.

It's meant to be a friendly that pits us against opposition we normally wouldn't face. Each season has been a team from a different country that we normally wouldn't face and will probably never face for years to come. It gives us a chance to see foreign opposition and in some cases potentially give us links between the clubs (i'm fairly certain we tried to sign Gerard Deulofeu during Owen Coyle's tenure which led us to end up playing Barca B in last seasons friendly).

As ridiculous as this sounds but whats to stop Charlton fielding a load of reserves and putting in really bad challenges and affecting our league position through injuring our players?
NiceHotCuppaTea wrote:
Mar wrote:Pretty poss poor that we can't get a better side for the last friendly.
Charlton were also meant to play them and that's been cancelled, hence why we're playing them. Fair enough, really.
The problems not with playing a team in the same situation regarding cancellation. The problem is with playing a team that we're going to be playing in the regular league season. Worst case scenario we could end up playing them 5 times.

(p.s. I like Charlton, they were my Grandads team)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:32 pm

It's quite easy on Football Manager - you just check the list of who's available.

Sadly, in real football it's a lot more legwork, and I'd guess that most sides will already be sorted for a game in just over a fortnight. Charlton are in the same boat (and have the same jeopardy - what's to stop us breaking their legs?) so it just makes sense to join up. Not the most glamorous game but then again neither's Chievo, to be honest - imagine a sort of Italian Stoke.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:52 am

Reserve XI at Chorley last night: Fitzsimons, Maher, Kellett, Holding, Finney, Medo (Campbell-Young), Reilly (Cvetko), Lussey, Woolery, Ceberio, Newell (Thomas).

Woolery scored the game's only goal, in the 21st minute.

Only one 'senior' player in that line-up – Medo, who must surely be frantically ringing his agent - while Kellett seems to have got the full 90 at left-back. Fitzsimons and captain Maher also went to Austria. Lussey and Ceberio signed this week.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:07 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Reserve XI at Chorley last night: Fitzsimons, Maher, Kellett, Holding, Finney, Medo (Campbell-Young), Reilly (Cvetko), Lussey, Woolery, Ceberio, Newell (Thomas).

Only one 'senior' player in that line-up – Medo, who must surely be frantically ringing his agent - while Kellett seems to have got the full 90 at left-back. Fitzsimons and captain Maher also went to Austria. Lussey and Ceberio signed this week.
Two trialists in that starting XI; Reilly who is one of the 3 from the Strachan Foundation and Newell, Mike's son, who was released by Everton recently.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:20 am

Is anyone visiting the Playa De Las Port Vale?
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:35 am

Andy Waller wrote:Is anyone visiting the Playa De Las Port Vale?

I have never done any of the 4 away games for pre season. Going to go to one or two but not decided which yet.

Can anybody recommend the best out of the four please :D

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:02 pm

Little Green Man wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Reserve XI at Chorley last night: Fitzsimons, Maher, Kellett, Holding, Finney, Medo (Campbell-Young), Reilly (Cvetko), Lussey, Woolery, Ceberio, Newell (Thomas).

Two trialists in that starting XI; Reilly who is one of the 3 from the Strachan Foundation and Newell, Mike's son, who was released by Everton recently.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:16 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Little Green Man wrote:

:lol:

And folk think we've got problems!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:23 pm

Macclesfield Town's Twitter operator needs to get in the sea.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

NiceHotCuppaTea
Promising
Promising

Post by NiceHotCuppaTea » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:37 pm

Prufrock wrote:Macclesfield Town's Twitter operator needs to get in the sea.
Why? He or she has obviously done that on purpose, which had led to thousands of people seeing it and talking about it/them. Genius advertising.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:48 pm

It's not the first time they've "gone viral". It's not genius; it's shit. Bane of modern life. Wacky football club twitter accounts can get to f*ck.

NiceHotCuppaTea
Promising
Promising

Post by NiceHotCuppaTea » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:50 pm

Yes, it's 'shit' when a club/brand does something which gets people talking about it...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:58 pm

Ah Pru, you're such a young fogey. It's knowing and it passes the time. The Twitter feed also included:
Macc 2nd half team:
Trialist
Cowan
Bryne
Pilkington
Haynes-Brown
Trialist
Trialist
Trialist
Trialist
Trialist
Trialist
And when someone asked if there was any chance of getting some names, responded
What do you mean? The Trialist family are in town.
...and this while they were losing 3-0 to Nantwich.

Mind you, they've got a fair way to go before matching their Cheshire rivals, the hapless Hyde, who have long excelled at this sort of thing:

I like the reference though, Pru: @GetInTheSea is one of my favourites. (NSFW, if your work doesn't like swearing.)

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:08 pm

Pru can Get In The Sea for being miserable.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:18 pm

:hang: it's a non-league football club, not a brand.

See also their hilarious bid to host the World Cup: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ma ... r-32994991" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Get tae feck. Just tweet what's happening in the game. I'd lose my shit if Mark Iles decided to start practicing his stand-up instead of telling me how shit Ream was playing.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:16 pm

I may have missed it but has Big Tom turned up anywhere in pre-season?
May the bridges I burn light your way

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:26 pm

Perhaps the twitterer used to be a comedy announcer for Virgin Trains. You don't have to be crazy to work there.... But it helps!

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:51 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:If Iles or BWFC did it week in week out I'd agree that it would get tiring
Of course a precursor to posting a witty anything is the poster possessing some wit.

Bring on the wit.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:22 pm

Enoch wrote:
throwawayboltonian wrote:If Iles or BWFC did it week in week out I'd agree that it would get tiring
Of course a precursor to posting a witty anything is the poster possessing some wit.

Bring on on the wit.
Careful. Plymouth will count that as a new signing.

(Do I pass the wit possession test? Thought not. :lol: )
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!