Sports Shield Investments Ltd

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Sports Shield Investments Ltd

Post by StaffsTrotter » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:52 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Why should Warburtons invest? I don't get it. They are a Bolton business but I don't see any reason why that obligates them to chuck hundreds of millions away trying to support the football club.
Normal business sense and football business sense dont go together.

There are 1001 reasons why normally sane business folk get involved in football. I suspect most certainly outside PL dont expect to nor dont make money.

You have been on this forum basically saying what a disgrace it is that ED is not continuing to fund the club.
The warbies and other wealthy board members are sat around that table and have been for years, presumably showing little inclination to invest in the club / buy bits back off ED or help in the current predicament. Other than for the kudos what are they there for then - presumably just to help ED spend his money.

Seems a simple skin in the game concept to me

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:00 am

StaffsTrotter wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Why should Warburtons invest? I don't get it. They are a Bolton business but I don't see any reason why that obligates them to chuck hundreds of millions away trying to support the football club.

There are 1001 reasons why normally sane business folk get involved in football. I suspect most certainly outside PL dont expect to nor dont make money.

You have been on this forum basically saying what a disgrace it is that ED is not continuing to fund the club.
The warbies and other wealthy board members are sat around that table and have been for years, presumably showing little inclination to invest in the club / buy bits back off ED or help in the current predicament. Other than for the kudos what are they there for then - presumably just to help ED spend his money.

No I haven't. He owns the business and has a responsibility as part of that role in the same way as any business owner does. That doesn't mean I think him not putting in more money is a disgrace. Just that as owner he still has to take responsibility for the lack of budget planning that seemingly occurred.

Warburtons sit on the board and are in that regard partly responsible. Brett Warburton did of course provide a 2M loan recently to help the club keep going.

Beyond that I see no reason why we could expect them to spend millions on the club above and beyond anyone else.

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:14 am

StaffsTrotter wrote:

The Warburtons were the second biggest shareholder before ED took over. Everything ED did initally was very businesslike, the club had to pay its way and build a sustainable future but Sam wanted more spent on the team. Eddie gave in to a limited degree in the signing of Nicolas Anelka (not a risk said PG at the time) but Sam wanted more spending. Sam had already given every indication he wasn't going to stick around if something better turned up and when he left the club was left in a bit of a crisis. Eddie was caught in the trap of putting in money against his wishes or accepting probable relegation and so it went on and on. Brett Warburton has stepped in more recently and put money in, doubtless to avoid an earlier financial crisis, but it is a thankless task.

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:34 am

Gudnib wrote:
StaffsTrotter wrote:

The Warburtons were the second biggest shareholder before ED took over. Everything ED did initally was very businesslike, the club had to pay its way and build a sustainable future but Sam wanted more spent on the team. Eddie gave in to a limited degree in the signing of Nicolas Anelka (not a risk said PG at the time) but Sam wanted more spending. Sam had already given every indication he wasn't going to stick around if something better turned up and when he left the club was left in a bit of a crisis. Eddie was caught in the trap of putting in money against his wishes or accepting probable relegation and so it went on and on. Brett Warburton has stepped in more recently and put money in, doubtless to avoid an earlier financial crisis, but it is a thankless task.
Agreed, completely and utterly thankless and barmy, but that is the rich mans game they are in. If they want to play great, if they dont want to play move away from the table.

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:15 am

StaffsTrotter wrote:
Gudnib wrote:
StaffsTrotter wrote:

Agreed, completely and utterly thankless and barmy, but that is the rich mans game they are in. If they want to play great, if they dont want to play move away from the table.

So you would risk your business, (or give up your job and any pay off), re mortgage your house and pour all your savings into say, Ramsbottom Utd would you? Just because you are a fan, have a family member on the board and the club is in the sh*te? All this whilst acknowledging you probably or are 90% certain you won't recoup a penny of it.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:20 am

StaffsTrotter wrote:
StaffsTrotter wrote:
TonyDomingos wrote:
Andy Waller wrote:The Warburtons do pay my dad's pension and he pays for his season ticket so they are contributing in some way?

Also, they're not as flush as you might think according to my dad.
Are they on the breadline?
All relative I suppose, but think they are more in the 'let them eat cake' brigade. Worth £500m according to grocers rich list in 2014.

http://www.bakeryinfo.co.uk/news/fullst ... _List.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Or even more according to MEN in April 2015

Bolton’s Warburton family are also up there with Britain’s wealthiest thanks a £30 million rise in their baking wealth.

The family-owned bakery, founded in 1876, is now run by three cousins, Jonathan, Ross and Brett - who is also vice-chairman of Bolton Wanderers FC.

They now have an estimated fortune of £530 million.

Perhaps some of the ire directed at ED & PG ought to have been spread around the rest of the board a bit more
Ah, so they're upper crust then?
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:22 am

What's that Kipling bloke doing? He must be worth a few bob...

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:08 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
StaffsTrotter wrote:
StaffsTrotter wrote:
TonyDomingos wrote:
Andy Waller wrote:The Warburtons do pay my dad's pension and he pays for his season ticket so they are contributing in some way?

Also, they're not as flush as you might think according to my dad.
Are they on the breadline?
All relative I suppose, but think they are more in the 'let them eat cake' brigade. Worth £500m according to grocers rich list in 2014.

http://www.bakeryinfo.co.uk/news/fullst ... _List.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Or even more according to MEN in April 2015

Bolton’s Warburton family are also up there with Britain’s wealthiest thanks a £30 million rise in their baking wealth.

The family-owned bakery, founded in 1876, is now run by three cousins, Jonathan, Ross and Brett - who is also vice-chairman of Bolton Wanderers FC.

They now have an estimated fortune of £530 million.

Perhaps some of the ire directed at ED & PG ought to have been spread around the rest of the board a bit more
Ah, so they're upper crust then?
Don't understand why the 3 Warbies don't buy and have a slice each! :conf:

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:47 pm

Until it all goes belly up then they'd be toast 8)
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:50 pm

Il Pirate wrote:
StaffsTrotter wrote:
Gudnib wrote:
StaffsTrotter wrote:

So you would risk your business, (or give up your job and any pay off), re mortgage your house and pour all your savings into say, Ramsbottom Utd would you? Just because you are a fan, have a family member on the board and the club is in the sh*te? All this whilst acknowledging you probably or are 90% certain you won't recoup a penny of it.
What do they contribute then?
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:00 pm

Free bread for the toast!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:27 am

Worthy4England wrote:What's that Kipling bloke doing? He must be worth a few bob...
I thought he passed away in 1936 :conf:

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:52 am

Worthy4England wrote:What's that Kipling bloke doing? He must be worth a few bob...
Family are exceedingly wealthy! :oops:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:15 pm

jonnycooper wrote:
Family are exceedingly wealthy! :oops:
:lol: