Gartside Out

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Gartside Out

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:50 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:The League Cup final tickets thing was badly handled, although it's worth noting that for the semi-final we'd had 16,302 at the Reebok - assuming Villa brought say 3k, those home fans could've had three each.
Handled badly? Now there's an understatement. As one of the the 16,303 I never envisaged having to despatch a courier to Manchester Piccadilly Box Office to desperately secure the last of the tickets in order to attend the Final.
Fully agree, Bruce, a right old cock-up all round. I only got a ticket because a good friend won a competition on a beer-can, wouldya believe.

Would "terribly handled" make you feel better? :D
Well, it's a step in the right direction. :D

That beer can story's not true though, is it? Shirley?! :shock:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:07 pm

The mistake was that BWFC asked Blackburn what they did with their tickets the year before and it turns out we have a greater propensity to bring the wife/a hanger-on/non-ST holder to the match.

Got more friends basically.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:15 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:That beer can story's not true though, is it? Shirley?! :shock:
It's true. Well, had he not won the comp - a "watch the match from an exec box with 11 mates, complimentary booze" thing - I'd have hit the phones to try to secure a ticket in a few other ways, but that's how I got in. Supped so much ale that day that for the National Express coach back I made the cunning switch to buying a wine bottle (and corkscrew). Sat down and instantly fell asleep, waking up back in London... :D

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:38 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:That beer can story's not true though, is it? Shirley?! :shock:
It's true. Well, had he not won the comp - a "watch the match from an exec box with 11 mates, complimentary booze" thing - I'd have hit the phones to try to secure a ticket in a few other ways, but that's how I got in. Supped so much ale that day that for the National Express coach back I made the cunning switch to buying a wine bottle (and corkscrew). Sat down and instantly fell asleep, waking up back in London... :D
I only got there in similar circumstances. Friend of a friend won tickets in a box for a dozen folk via the Daily Mirror. They took 8 of them (they were all either Blues or "not interested in football" grrr) and decided to sell the remaining 4. I had to shell out a ton for mine.

A lot of my love for the club died that day and never came back :(
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

jetsetwilly
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jetsetwilly » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:00 pm

I actually went to the stadium and sat in reception until Phil came to speak to me. He apologised and said he would have 4 tickets waiting for me in Cardiff. Gave me his mobile number. I spoke the week before and he assured me the tickets would be there. True to his word he left 4 tickets in the box office. Top guy. As a chairman of a business. .. awful. But genuine nice guy. Didn't have to do it but he did

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:17 pm

Does he attend matches?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:40 pm

He needs to get gone, but sometimes you hear things that make you think he's a sound bloke.

A pre match drinking pal of ours unfortunately passed away a couple of weeks ago. A North stand ST holder and a massive fan.. Out of the blue, his wife got a letter of condolence handwritten by Phil with an invitation to the match with a ticket in the directors box for her and their 7 yo lad. We all walked to the ground on Saturday from the Bulls Head and he made a sizeable donation to the fund that's being collected for the family.

You may have heard Pete's pals in the North stand upper having a right good do on Saturday
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:34 pm

boltonboris wrote:He needs to get gone, but sometimes you hear things that make you think he's a sound bloke.

A pre match drinking pal of ours unfortunately passed away a couple of weeks ago. A North stand ST holder and a massive fan.. Out of the blue, his wife got a letter of condolence handwritten by Phil with an invitation to the match with a ticket in the directors box for her and their 7 yo lad. We all walked to the ground on Saturday from the Bulls Head and he made a sizeable donation to the fund that's being collected for the family.

You may have heard Pete's pals in the North stand upper having a right good do on Saturday
I did. I was in the lower tier trying to work out what they were singing. Someone told me what it was about eventually. They certainly got his name out there. RIP.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:47 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
boltonboris wrote:He needs to get gone, but sometimes you hear things that make you think he's a sound bloke.

I did. I was in the lower tier trying to work out what they were singing. Someone told me what it was about eventually. They certainly got his name out there. RIP.
Similarly, could hear them from the ESL and was wondering who/what they were singing about. Fair play to all involved.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:26 pm

Has the BN put anything about Gartside not speaking to them?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:43 pm

jaffka wrote:Has the BN put anything about Gartside not speaking to them?
Yes Iles has mentioned it a couple of times. Something along lines of repeatedly refusing requests for an interview.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:08 pm

To be fair what's the point when he'd be faced with 10 differently worded questions on why he hasn't sacked the manager yet, but can't really tell the truth.

(cost of payoff, lack of obvious alternatives)
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:29 pm

Decent gesture that BB. Good to know.

He's still overdue his welcome as chairman of my football club in my view mind.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:18 pm

Athers wrote:To be fair what's the point when he'd be faced with 10 differently worded questions on why he hasn't sacked the manager yet, but can't really tell the truth.

That might wash if he hadn't been football's greatest media whore in the good old days of the noughties.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:34 am

I've no doubt that he's a top bloke. So many anecdotes of out-of-his-way nice things he's done. Doesn't mean he gets away with being shit at his day job. He was fecking good at it for a while, but something's gone, and went a while ago. I'd wish him well, but I'd wish Coyle well and he's still a stand-alone hero in my book for managerial incompetency. PG gracefully bowing out in order for a recently-sacked Big Sam (after West Ham bin him off to get Pardew, and promptly get relegated, Olympic Stadium and all) to return. A boy can dream.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:25 am

Athers wrote:To be fair what's the point when he'd be faced with 10 differently worded questions on why he hasn't sacked the manager yet, but can't really tell the truth.

Which is very true.

I've alwayslliked Gary side. It's clear he's presiding over chaos at the moment and to what extent he's responsible I'm not sure but he us on a hiding to nothing right now.

He has to do just one thing to be back in the good books however.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:44 am

I have no idea who Gary Side is! but if Bobo likes him - he's clearly a decent chap!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:48 am

thebish wrote:I have no idea who Gary Side is! but if Bobo likes him - he's clearly a decent chap!
I think Gary side is when you kill someone called Gary.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:54 am

I'm staying out of this one.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:09 am

'alwayslliked'? That's got to be Welsh. Two 'l's in the middle, see? Issen ert?