Contracts: the summer juggle

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who should we get back next season?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:54 am

Adam Le Fondre
10%
Adam Bogdan
6%
Andy Lonergan
6%
Matt Mills
5%
Luke Woodland
2%
Darren Pratley
10%
Chris Lester
1%
Craig Davies
8%
Eidur Gudjohnsen
10%
Emile Heskey
4%
Georg Iliev
2%
Ben Amos
7%
Kevin McNaughton
2%
Paddy McCarthy
3%
Simeon Slavchev
1%
Jordan Lussey
3%
Giles Coke
1%
Barry Bannan
9%
Saidy Janko
6%
Rochinha
6%

Total votes: 519

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Contracts: the summer juggle

Post by Dr Hotdog » Thu May 07, 2015 10:42 am

malcd1 wrote:
danardif1 wrote:
malcd1 wrote:Looks like Cravies not being offered a contract according to Nixon.

I take it we should find out this week which players are staying and which are going?

He seems a really decent bloke does Cravies but I think he's found his limit. He stood out in a really poor Barnsley side but we aren't much better and he has only played really well in fits and bursts.
There is no point if he is injured as much as Mark Davies.
He is too injury prone and has never started more than 5 games in succession for us. Which is a recipe for inconsistency. But in the paper Lennon has come out and called him an important player if he can stay fit:

“I’m sure some of the players are glad this season is over but from my point of view I would have liked to work longer with some of the players who have been out injured,” he said.
“And that gives me a lot of positivity for next year.
“Clayton, Clough, Pratley, Wheater, Craig Davies, they are important players, but it’s keeping them healthy and on the pitch.
“I’m planning a long pre-season and I think that gives me the opportunity to really get some work into the players and make sure they come back fit.”

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu May 07, 2015 10:45 am

Sounds like he's getting at least an offer. You'd think we'd be in a decent position to either offer him a cheap deal or a decent-ish one pay-as-you-play.

I'd like to keep him but we can't waste our limited budget on players in the sick room.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 07, 2015 11:20 am

He was the likeliest candidate among last season's squad to effectively lead the 4-2-3-1. Whether he's the best option there for next season is a different ask altogether. There's only so many forward berths: Heskey seems to have signed; Eidur's been offered; ALF's agent is allegedly (and welcomely) negotiating; Clough and Clayton will be fit; and you would hope that Lennon has some other ideas, including but not limited to former Celts like Stokes and the Hoopdogg.

I thank Cravies for his hard work but I wouldn't be falling over myself to offer him a new contract. Stay friendly, wish him the best and see how we are in late summer - if we've failed to land alternatives and he's not found a club, I wouldn't object to his return, but at the moment I'd like to see some of this squad-whittling we've all been so looking forward to.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Tue May 12, 2015 10:27 am

malcd1 wrote:It looks like Bolton are not going to announce who will be leaving this summer until next Monday/Tuesday. I'm expecting and hoping for a cull.
Bolton News wrote: WANDERERS may wait until after the weekend to name their retained list.

The club are expected to release a number of players who are out of contract but want to wait until the development squad have completed their season’s fixtures to make the announcement official.

The Under-21s play at Blackburn Rovers’ Brockhall training complex tomorrow (Thursday) and then face Arsenal at the Macron on Monday lunchtime.
So, the last Bolton game was played yesterday. I think we should find out very soon (possibly today?) who is going and who is staying.

It seems like Bogdan and Mills are weighing up their options and may get a better offer elsewhere.

Craig Davies too injury prone so he can go. Pratley I would keep.

Lonergan looks like he will be going (according to The Oracle).

We may eventually go back for Amos and Janko permanently and another loan for ALF, Bannan and Rochinha.

Heskey staying but what about Gudjohnsen?

The others. Meh.

Adam Le Fondre
Adam Bogdan
Andy Lonergan
Matt Mills
Luke Woodland
Darren Pratley
Chris Lester
Craig Davies
Eidur Gudjohnsen
Emile Heskey
Georg Iliev
Ben Amos
Kevin McNaughton
Paddy McCarthy
Simeon Slavchev
Jordan Lussey
Giles Coke
Barry Bannan
Saidy Janko
Rochinha
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue May 12, 2015 12:29 pm

Two ex Wanderers who started off with so much promise..

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... _Athletic/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue May 12, 2015 12:53 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Two ex Wanderers who started off with so much promise..

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... _Athletic/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Get Eagles back up here. :oyea:
May the bridges I burn light your way

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Wed May 13, 2015 10:22 am

Hall on his way out, now that's not a surprise.

Who was it saying that he wouldn't be?

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Wed May 13, 2015 12:35 pm

What happens with the West Ham ruling from the tribunal? Does the 400k go to West Ham?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed May 13, 2015 1:57 pm

Is the full list out then?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed May 13, 2015 4:15 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:Is the full list out then?
Not from what I've seen. Been checking the official site and BEN frequently as I'm interested in how much of a restructure Lennon wants. If he's culling as many as he says he is, he must be planning at least another season of being here.

Either that or he's Gary Megson's lovechild sent to destroy us with faint hope and more than a hint of ginger........... :cry:

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed May 13, 2015 10:16 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Two ex Wanderers who started off with so much promise..

Get Eagles back up here. :oyea:
No thanks! Anonymous in 9/10 games, doesn't commit when things weren't going our way, and now two clubs at our level have released him since his departure. Says it all really. He has some quality, as he showed in 12/13, but it's only flashes and they are few and far between. We have better options in the centre with Clough and Mavies, and on the wing he's no better than who we already have.

Also the BEN has us trying to offload Hall. Shame really, I do think there's a good player in there and was hoping that NL would bring out the best in him. http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... is_summer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You don't want Eagles back but are sorry to see Hall go? :? :? :shock:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed May 13, 2015 11:24 pm

Yep, Eagles over Hall every time. He carried us for a while and had an end product. Hall just flattered to deceive when I saw him. Not without talent but an unknown quantity. Eagles has his flaws but I'd like to see him in an attacking Lennon team like we saw when he first came in, I think he can still be a class act in the right line-up. Hall might only be 21 but he'd played quite a few games before he came to us and has been given chances which he didn't take. Lennon's intentions were pretty clear when he preferred Walker, who has an end product if not yet the all-round game. I know which I prefer.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu May 14, 2015 12:14 am

^^
Aye. Eagles needs the right people around him and he'll do the business. Get the ball to him in the right areas and he could do a job for a season ot two. Our mistake was in parting with him.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Thu May 14, 2015 8:41 am

I'd have him back! We could do a lot worse.

He's versatile aswell!
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu May 14, 2015 9:12 am

I've willed Hall to come good for as long as he's been with us, but I just don't see a footballer in him at all. Not a worthwhile one anyway.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu May 14, 2015 10:47 am

Hall is shite. Get rid. I'd not be against Eagles coming back, but I'd be trying to see if we could get better first. Good player, but v hot and cold.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu May 14, 2015 11:42 am

Lot of nothing going on right now it seems, according to B.N.. Cash flow problems holding things up with key players, Mills, Pratley and Bogdan. Not looking too healthy.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu May 14, 2015 11:57 am

If Pratters decided he was moving on to bigger and better things that might just tip me over the edge!

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu May 14, 2015 11:58 am

Some of the comments on that story are bordering on panic.

If the three go, then so what, we have seen it before and still here. There are plenty of players who will want to play for BWFC, the skill is choosing the right ones.

FFP effects all the clubs not just us, some clubs like Forest and Blackburn have a transfer embargo and therefore are in potentially worse position. Leeds were under one but have somehow managed to come out of it.

Evolve with the rules, its how its always been and always will. Applies to pretty much everything and not just football.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu May 14, 2015 12:29 pm

Ahh, one of the benefits of being skint is that we won't be re-signing Mat Mills. Every cloud and all of that. :)