TKIZ!'s Scouting book for Boys (& ladies) of The Wanderer

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: TKIZ!'s Scouting book for Boys (& ladies) of The Wandere

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:34 pm

TKIZ! wrote:Jose Baxter (24) Attacking Midfielder - Tough one this as he was touted as a big star on his arrival to the Everton first team. It didn't work out and has plied his trade at Oldham and Sheff United. Handy with the goals but volatile and has been suspended for off field shenanigans on more than one occasion. Just been released
From Club or Wandsworth?

I think we could probably do with as few hotheads as possible tbh...

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:36 pm

Reading his profile he's looks to be building a case against whatever issue has arisen at Sheff United.
Pfffft.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:49 pm

TKIZ! wrote:Reading his profile he's looks to be building a case against whatever issue has arisen at Sheff United.
Maybe one to "pass" on at the moment...We deffo need "together" with little extra-curricula stuff more than we can bring on ourselves, if possible, next season - IMO.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:02 am

I get the impression that Parky wants head-down workers sacrificing themselves for the greater cause; I don't think we'll be seeing us take many chances on flighty fantasistas who deliver one game in six. Note the telling qualification to this quote from this morning's BN:
I will reiterate that ideally I want to keep the best players with the best attitudes here

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:17 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I get the impression that Parky wants head-down workers sacrificing themselves for the greater cause; I don't think we'll be seeing us take many chances on flighty fantasistas who deliver one game in six. Note the telling qualification to this quote from this morning's BN:
I will reiterate that ideally I want to keep the best players with the best attitudes here
Exactly. And it is what we've been crying out for in the past 5 seasons. Build a squad of grafters who will run their socks off for the cause. Have them organised.

We might not be the most attractive team ever but I'm sick of us relying on the 1 in 6 types or relying on a young kid to do something magical.

We need a team of proper, 6ft plus pros to grind out game after game. That is the requirement now and I think it is what Parky does.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:24 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I get the impression that Parky wants head-down workers sacrificing themselves for the greater cause; I don't think we'll be seeing us take many chances on flighty fantasistas who deliver one game in six. Note the telling qualification to this quote from this morning's BN:
Exactly. And it is what we've been crying out for in the past 5 seasons. Build a squad of grafters who will run their socks off for the cause. Have them organised.

We might not be the most attractive team ever but I'm sick of us relying on the 1 in 6 types or relying on a young kid to do something magical.

We need a team of proper, 6ft plus pros to grind out game after game. That is the requirement now and I think it is what Parky does.
Isn't Lionel Messi 5' 5"? Paul Scholes is 5' 6.

This is nearly as bizarre as when you favoured "Strikers who don't have to score"....Well we have plenty of them, and I'm concluding they're no fcuking use.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:58 am

Worthy4England wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

This is nearly as bizarre as when you favoured "Strikers who don't have to score"....Well we have plenty of them, and I'm concluding they're no fcuking use.
We need to firstly be physically competitive. That is the priority. I think PP will sort that, if he can bring players in.

Then after that worry about the rest. Brilliant if we sign Messi but I'd rather have a 6ft clogger than a 5ft2 clogger. Least we'd have the height to defend set pieces. Teams can get promoted on the back of being good at set pieces and organised in open play.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:00 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

We need to firstly be physically competitive. That is the priority. I think PP will sort that, if he can bring players in.

Then after that worry about the rest. Brilliant if we sign Messi but I'd rather have a 6ft clogger than a 5ft2 clogger. Least we'd have the height to defend set pieces. Teams can get promoted on the back of being good at set pieces and organised in open play.
I reckon when we got dicked by Bristol City 6-0 most of the team was around 6ft. Mavies (possibly the smallest person in the squad that day?) is 5' 9...

So yes we need to be physically competitive. And yes we need to be able to defend corners/free-kicks but we've seen that 6ft cloggers are actually fck all use either. So I'd like a couple of folks who can pass to a team mate, maybe open up a defence, organize the defence to the plan we've set out. etc. etc.

I don't care if they're 6ft tall if they can do most of the above - which you'd generally expect a paid footballer to be able to do some of the time if not all of it.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:25 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
I reckon when we got dicked by Bristol City 6-0 most of the team was around 6ft. Mavies (possibly the smallest person in the squad that day?) is 5' 9...

So yes we need to be physically competitive. And yes we need to be able to defend corners/free-kicks but we've seen that 6ft cloggers are actually fck all use either. So I'd like a couple of folks who can pass to a team mate, maybe open up a defence, organize the defence to the plan we've set out. etc. etc.

I don't care if they're 6ft tall if they can do most of the above - which you'd generally expect a paid footballer to be able to do some of the time if not all of it.
Woolery, Walker, Vela, Davies and Holding all under 6ft according to the internetzzzz.

They all started against Bristol City.

But we need to be physically dominant and in my view we don't have one player 6ft or otherwise who is physically dominant. We're a weak, small team and I'm 100% PP will change that round.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:55 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Woolery, Walker, Vela, Davies and Holding all under 6ft according to the internetzzzz.

But we need to be physically dominant and in my view we don't have one player 6ft or otherwise who is physically dominant. We're a weak, small team and I'm 100% PP will change that round.
Yes, that's why I said "around 6ft" - not 6ft, somewhere not a million miles adrift - There's no one that's shorter than 5ft 9. Now if you think adding three inches height to most of the ones you've mentioned is going to make them all into world-beaters, then I think you're even more barking that I normally give you credit for.

I accept we need some tall people to defend high balls and crosses. It would be good if we could have someone able to win a header up-front. If our entire philosophy is to bully the opposition off the ball then maybe just buying big and daft would be ok, but the concept that a bad (or even average) big 'un will always beat a good little 'un at football, I don't subscribe to. It's not that physical a game - it's not like boxing (or even egg chasing) where it's all about physical contact - and there's less of it these days...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:16 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Yes, that's why I said "around 6ft" - not 6ft, somewhere not a million miles adrift - There's no one that's shorter than 5ft 9. Now if you think adding three inches height to most of the ones you've mentioned is going to make them all into world-beaters, then I think you're even more barking that I normally give you credit for.

I accept we need some tall people to defend high balls and crosses. It would be good if we could have someone able to win a header up-front. If our entire philosophy is to bully the opposition off the ball then maybe just buying big and daft would be ok, but the concept that a bad (or even average) big 'un will always beat a good little 'un at football, I don't subscribe to. It's not that physical a game - it's not like boxing (or even egg chasing) where it's all about physical contact - and there's less of it these days...
Well I personally think we didn't physically compete last season. It isn't all about height of players, of course, but I felt we had a small team and a physically weak one. Both things need to be sorted.

I personally think with a limited budget we'll probably have a technically limited team, but as a first principle I want us to be able to compete with anyone out there. So first step is to make sure we don't get bullied off the park.

The odd smaller player is fine, but I think we will be looking to make ourselves more physically imposing. The 3 players we're trying to sign are all 6ft or above and I'm fairly sure that is PPs plan.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:47 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Well I personally think we didn't physically compete last season. It isn't all about height of players, of course, but I felt we had a small team and a physically weak one. Both things need to be sorted.

I personally think with a limited budget we'll probably have a technically limited team, but as a first principle I want us to be able to compete with anyone out there. So first step is to make sure we don't get bullied off the park.

The odd smaller player is fine, but I think we will be looking to make ourselves more physically imposing. The 3 players we're trying to sign are all 6ft or above and I'm fairly sure that is PPs plan.
Similarly, I wouldn't want us to have a load of big and daft that played it on the floor with a team full of people with two left feet. I'm fairly sure it's not all "punt it long" in Div 1.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:14 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Being physically dominant is not dependant on being physically big. You need mentally big. You need players that will never give up and fight until there is nothing left. Some of our physically bigger players of the last 5-6 years have been some of the softest shites I've ever seen. Peter Crouch is 6ft 7 and makes Mr Whippy look like a fcukin redwood.

Remember Stelios? He was tough yet physically small, but you didn't see him get knocked off the ball easily. He competed everywhere on the pitch. He's what we need, not the likes the physically big Zat Knights of this world.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:16 pm

Nobby Stiles was 5ft 6in, Billy Bremner 5ft 5in.

I get BWFCi's point, but it is indeed partly a mindset.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:17 pm

Diouf with his back to goal was as good as any player the Prem has seen in my opinion.. Soft as shite apprently
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:27 pm

Youri, 5' 10"; Speed 5'11"; JJ 5' 8"; Pratley 6' 0.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:28 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Youri, 5' 10"; Speed 5'11"; JJ 5' 8"; Pratley 6' 0.
Gerald Cid 6'2"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:39 pm

I reckon the point is made. :-)

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:16 pm

Wasn't that centre half for Wimbledon and Spurs only 5'9 or something? I'm getting the name Chris...can't remember the rest.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:23 pm

I dunno, but as of general closing hours we appear to have neither 18', 12' or 6''s worth of signings...maybe they're 48 hours off. Where's PT when you need him? :-)