Ken Anderson - Old Owner (Definitely. For Ever ..... )

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Ken Anderson - New Owner (Definitely. For Now ..... )

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:40 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:09 pm
Ken's Kolumn O'Klock. No bully-pulpit action this time. Most interesting thing is a (re)stated intention to recruit more players in January.

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2017/novemb ... hairman-2/
He is talking a good game there :) I am still suspicious of how the numbers add up for us to spend any money in January, but let us wallow in the positivity for now :)

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:53 pm

‘Cashed in’ on the Holding appearance money early, no doubt for a reduced fee. Cash flow problems or January funds?

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:28 pm

Q&A with Ken at the whites hotel tomorrow at 6pm. I might go :)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:14 pm

Iles reporting some interesting stuff from Ken’s Q&A. “We learned that a billionaire investor was on the verge of buying the club until things went quiet. Now their assets have been "internationally frozen". We heard that the Macron Stadium might not be the Macron Stadium for much longer... a stadium name change looked likely, although Macron will be given the opportunity to renew. Once again, he questioned the commercial merit of the last agreement.
the club was looking to sign "three or four" players in January - but looks more likely to be through the loan market.
And the club is looking to stage some concerts next summer. it could be called the Bolton Wanderers Stadium by the time next summer's planned concerts come around.“

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:44 am

I was at the Q&A. The most interesting information for me was Ken saying we are losing £5m-£6m this season, and that he is covering that loss.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:27 pm

The BN transcript of Kenny’s Q&A is here -
http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... rers_fans/

I quite liked:

“I don’t want to get tit-for-tat with [the Scunny chairman]. My view is he’s a sore loser, it is sour grapes, we went up and they didn’t."

No tit-for-tat there. No sir.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:53 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:27 pm
The BN transcript of Kenny’s Q&A is here -
http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... rers_fans/

I quite liked:

“I don’t want to get tit-for-tat with [the Scunny chairman]. My view is he’s a sore loser, it is sour grapes, we went up and they didn’t."

No tit-for-tat there. No sir.
:lol:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:54 pm

Latest chairman column:
https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2017/decemb ... chairman6/
"I won’t hesitate in making difficult decisions if that is what’s required. By that I mean backing the manager and bringing players in to strengthen the squad, as well as letting players go.

We cannot afford the luxury of carrying anyone who is not giving their all, week in, week out, on the pitch or training ground and knocking on the door to play. Going through the motions of just turning up for a pay cheque is not acceptable and won’t be tolerated.

The players and the management team are all aware of this and it is now up to them to deliver and repay the support and faith you the supporters have shown in them particularly over the last five months. There can be no more excuses - every single one of the squad has to go out there, whether it be on the training ground or on a matchday for every single game and give everything they have and a bit more."

Who could he mean? Or is it an unveiled threat?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:11 pm

Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:54 pm

Going through the motions of just turning up for a pay cheque is not acceptable and won’t be tolerated.
With the wages pro footballers earn as opposed to the average working person, I couldn't agree more, and good on him for that attitude.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:42 pm

"I won’t hesitate in making difficult decisions if that is what’s required. By that I mean backing the manager and bringing players in to strengthen the squad, as well as letting players go.

We cannot afford the luxury of carrying anyone who is not giving their all, week in, week out, on the pitch or training ground and knocking on the door to play. Going through the motions of just turning up for a pay cheque is not acceptable and won’t be tolerated.
OK, but in his latest missive he's banging on about the January window as being a poor time to be bringing players in as players are generally unable to hit the ground running as they don't know their team-mates and haven't had the benefit of a pre-season at the club.

I find these two statements, within a week of each other, to be rather contradictory and somewhat confusing.

My questions are then;

Has he been requested to wind his neck in so as not to upset the squad members who haven't been getting a game?

Are we actually looking to actually reduce the size of the squad?

Is Kenny just blathering out any old shite for the sake of it?
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:50 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:42 pm

OK, but in his latest missive he's banging on about the January window as being a poor time to be bringing players in as players are generally unable to hit the ground running as they don't know their team-mates and haven't had the benefit of a pre-season at the club.

I find these two statements, within a week of each other, to be rather contradictory and somewhat confusing.

My questions are then;

Has he been requested to wind his neck in so as not to upset the squad members who haven't been getting a game?

Are we actually looking to actually reduce the size of the squad?

Is Kenny just blathering out any old shite for the sake of it?
The latter. It's a standard tactic of Ken's. Month before window, talk up recruitment plans.

Week before window talk it down.

I'd read it as basically there is no money. So don't expect much. I think he's probably worried that we are out of embargo so he can't blame activity or lack of on that.

I also suspect that he's worried that by the time January comes around we will be too far adrift to really gamble. I'd say 4/5 points adrift would be that point all things considered.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:06 am

Transfer Embargo in 3.....2.....

Good timing for them really
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:16 am

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:06 am
Transfer Embargo in 3.....2.....
Good timing for them really
Meanwhile, just to prove football really is about sport, Jose Maurinho informs the United Board, 300 million is not enough.... :shock:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:30 am

at the start of the season we picked up 2 points from our first 11 games and had a goal difference of -18

over the last 13 games we have picked up 17 points and our goal difference remains the same - meaning that we are about neutral over the last 13 games

looking ahead - if we were to carry on our current vein of form - we could reasonably expect to finish with around 50 points - maybe just enough to scrape 21st place or slightly higher
There are teams above us who are in free fall - and we are closing the gap bringing other teams into the relegation zone.... eg Barnsley and Hull

If we can manage not to sell in Jan.... and even add a player or two - then I'm sure we could manage a comfortable lower half finish above the relegation zone...

However - my medication is now wearing off - and I'm sure that we are going to be going down the "sell to survive route" so we can look forwards to welcoming the likes of Luton, Notts County and Exeter to the Recon next season...

Dark times ahead....... and I bet our beloved leader starts to deflect the criticism towards Parky who is making the best fist of the cards hes been dealt....
In my opinion we will never get the two or three players needed to keep us up..
Our season/future depends on the chairmans wallet ..... come on Ken.... its time to cough
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:14 pm

nelson66 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:30 am
Our season/future depends on the chairmans wallet ..... come on Ken.... its time to cough
This. We've gone from the out-and-out whipping boys to having an even money chance of survival. Much of that helped by Josh and Sammi returning, plus Henry arriving. It shows we're not a million miles from having a squad that will keep us up (even the one we have now has a chance, if it stays intact) but also shows how a couple of lay-offs or departures could quite easily send us spiralling again.

I just can't work out what's going through Kenny's mind, though. With Championship survival actually a possibility now, it would be surely be mad for him (even just from the point of view of protecting his investment) to chuck away that possibility by selling Vela and/or Madine or, at the very least, not reinvesting the funds in the squad.

If we do do sell one, or both, and it becomes evident the money's just going to keeping the club running a bit longer (AKA Ken doesn't have to stump up) then imo he's going to be out of excuses. But then maybe, if that is what happens, he'd be willing to play a bit russian roulette with us still staying up with a diminished squad. It would give him more time to find someone willing to cough up his £25m - bonus if we stay up but, if we are relegated, then he's not going to be out of pocket and can bring down the asking price if he's had enough/is faced with actually putting his own money.

All this is irellevant if Charlton come in with an offer of £15m for Amos on the opening day of the window, obviously. 8)
Last edited by palindromeofbolton on Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:46 pm

palindromeofbolton wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:14 pm
nelson66 wrote:
This. We've gone from the out-and-out whipping boys to having an even money chance of survival. Much of that helped by Josh and Sammi returning, plus Henry arriving. It shows we're not a million miles from having a squad that will keep us up (even the one we have now has a chance, if it stays intact) but also shows how a couple of lay-offs or departures could quite easily send us spiralling again.

I just can't work out what's going through Kenny's mind, though. With Championship survival actually a possibility now, it would be surely be mad for him (even just from the point of view of protecting his investment) to chuck away that possibility by selling Vela and/or Madine or, at the very least, not reinvesting that in the squad.

If we do do sell one, or both, and it becomes evident the money's just going to keeping the club running a bit longer (AKA Ken doesn't have to stump up) then imo he's going to be out of excuses. But then maybe, if that is what happens, he'd be willing to play a bit russian roulette with us still staying up with a diminished squad. It would give him more time to find someone willing to cough up his £25m - bonus if we stay up but, if we are relegated, then he's not going to be out of pocket and can bring down the asking price if he's had enough/is faced with actually putting his own money.

All this is irellevant if Charlton come in with an offer of £15m for Amos on the opening day of the window, obviously. 8)
Good post. I think for Ken he needs to see an investment being close. Otherwise he's stuck bankrolling the club. Whilst people say it costs him if we go down, I'm not sure it does, sure the club loses money but personally he will just cut costs accordingly.

The idea that he's going to fund the 5M loss we are going to make, plus pay the bills week to week and invest in new players to me at this stage is fanciful. He does that this season then what? He'd have to do it the next, until someone came in and took it off him, by which point he may not see any profit. Even then his investment is a gamble as it guarantees nothing. And we don't even know if he has those resources to invest.

I think sales in January are an inevitability. If offers come in I reckon they'd sell virtually anyone.

I can't see anything beyond a few cheap loans either. Think that's why we are going down. If Ken had an investor I think we'd have a chance. On his own he's a steward at best and whilst we've needed one he's now essentially a sitting duck without someone with money showing interest.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:46 pm
nelson66 wrote:

I just can't work out what's going through Kenny's mind, though. With Championship survival actually a possibility now, it would be surely be mad for him (even just from the point of view of protecting his investment) to chuck away that possibility by selling Vela and/or Madine or, at the very least, not reinvesting that in the squad.

Good post. I think for Ken he needs to see an investment being close. Otherwise he's stuck bankrolling the club. Whilst people say it costs him if we go down, I'm not sure it does, sure the club loses money but personally he will just cut costs accordingly.

The idea that he's going to fund the 5M loss we are going to make, plus pay the bills week to week and invest in new players to me at this stage is fanciful. He does that this season then what? He'd have to do it the next, until someone came in and took it off him, by which point he may not see any profit. Even then his investment is a gamble as it guarantees nothing. And we don't even know if he has those resources to invest.

I think sales in January are an inevitability. If offers come in I reckon they'd sell virtually anyone.

I can't see anything beyond a few cheap loans either. Think that's why we are going down. If Ken had an investor I think we'd have a chance. On his own he's a steward at best and whilst we've needed one he's now essentially a sitting duck without someone with money showing interest.
You talk absolute bollocks. You give a voice to an imaginary Ken who might as well be Barbie's boyfriend.
He bought the club. He's not a fxcking "steward", He's The Owner.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:57 pm

I'll also point out he bought it for a fxcking quid. On the back of a partnership with a newly minted bankrupt, who obviously had no fxcking idea about business. But Ken obviously has...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:46 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
I think for Ken he needs to see an investment being close. Otherwise he's stuck bankrolling the club.
Which makes it all the more bewildering that two months and two days ago he flouncily took the club off the market for the "foreseeable future" – the phrasing of which brings to mind a question: if you can't see further than two months, should you be running a business?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:47 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:54 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
nelson66 wrote:

You talk absolute bollocks. You give a voice to an imaginary Ken who might as well be Barbie's boyfriend.
He bought the club. He's not a fxcking "steward", He's The Owner.
Thanks. How kind.

What is it you disagree with? He bought the club saying he didn't have the money to bankroll it long term. He's said that a lot. As far as we know he's not exactly put loads of his money in. Owning a business does not mean you have an obligation to invest your own money into it.

It's clear to me he thought he'd have either sold it by now or found external investment. His comments re crowds, throwing his dummy out when an investor fell through etc... make sense in this context.