The Promotion Commotion Transfer Thread 2017

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Promotion Commotion Transfer Thread 2017

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:43 am

BN: Two NW League One clubs want to loan ALF, but we want to keep him.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... Le_Fondre/

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:00 am

No takers for Chris Taylor yet?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:28 pm

I suspect this transfer window, like the season overall, is going down to the wire. January 31st will be a big day in terms of how our season will pan out. Can Ken's nerve/pockets hold out? :)

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:53 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:28 pm
I suspect this transfer window, like the season overall, is going down to the wire. January 31st will be a big day in terms of how our season will pan out. Can Ken's nerve/pockets hold out? :)

Ooooh! Are we getting Sordell back at 11:59pm? :D
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:42 pm

In a worst case scenario, that we don't get anybody; when you compare it with not too long ago with embargos and injuries to key players, losing Mark Davies etc, not going into liquidation and having more debt than (insert suitable name) ...then can we really feel badly treaed right now? Me, I'm just glad we're still in there and battling...but I'm an optimist. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:20 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:42 pm
In a worst case scenario, that we don't get anybody; when you compare it with not too long ago with embargos and injuries to key players, losing Mark Davies etc, not going into liquidation and having more debt than (insert suitable name) ...then can we really feel badly treaed right now? Me, I'm just glad we're still in there and battling...but I'm an optimist. :wink:
Yep, I'd have taken this position with this squad at the end of September for sure. However, now we have come this far, we want to see it through and stay up. Relegation would be perilous for the club. In terms of this window a range of possibilities I am thinking are:

Sell Madine and don't replace him: Bad, terrible, relegation.
Sell Madine and replace him with say Chris Martin from Derby or a similar player: Bad. We would be weakened, but we can still keep our style of play. Relegation a distinct possibility.
Sell Madine, replace him, and sign a few others including return of Burke/Cullen: Hmmm. The signings would have to hit the ground running. Dubious.
Keep Madine, keep everyone else, with no additions: Ok. This squad is capable of staying up with some luck with injuries.
Keep everyone, get Cullen and Burke back, no other additions: Decent, would feel reasonably optimistic about staying up.
Keep everyone, get Cullen and Burke back, sign an attacking player who can score, and cover Madine: Awesome, very likely to stay up.
As above and also sign an experienced midfielder who can cover Henry: Super awesome, very, very likely to stay up.

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:04 am

Lee Anderson was twitching on SM yesterday. Said to keep an eye on his twitter account in the afternoon, though it turned out to be a premature dawn. Maybe something of interest will come out today, tho. Most likely to be news of a new Madine contract?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:00 pm

B.N reckons we're after Chungy on loan till season end ?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:55 pm

So... Charlsley (or something similar), and that's it. So far. It's a deliberate driven thang, and it's good for the future going forward opportunity not a negative thang, sorta shit!
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:23 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:00 pm
Would be a great signing imho.

Doesn't solve the problem of being a Henry or Madine injury away from relegation, but would give us a lot more quality in the final third..

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:36 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:23 am
TANGODANCER wrote:

Doesn't solve the problem of being a Henry or Madine injury away from relegation, but would give us a lot more quality in the final third..
It would depend which Chungy it is though. For a long time after his injury he was very ineffective and my worry is that he's not played much since leaving us and he might not be the player we all fondly remember. Do we play him at 10 and lose Vela's harrying but gain creativity, or do we stick him on the right where Ameobi is arguably most effective (and Noone if he ever turns up in a match).

I'd rather see someone in the Henry mould and someone to compete for Madine's role, as lets face it, his form might not last for the whole of a season (not a criticism) or get injured/head turned by a richer club etc.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:06 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:36 am
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

It would depend which Chungy it is though. For a long time after his injury he was very ineffective and my worry is that he's not played much since leaving us and he might not be the player we all fondly remember. Do we play him at 10 and lose Vela's harrying but gain creativity, or do we stick him on the right where Ameobi is arguably most effective (and Noone if he ever turns up in a match).

I'd rather see someone in the Henry mould and someone to compete for Madine's role, as lets face it, his form might not last for the whole of a season (not a criticism) or get injured/head turned by a richer club etc.
I get what you're saying. Totally. He's hardly played.

To counter that though, he's a 29 year old experienced pro who knows the club already. How many players with his level of experience and pedigree could we actually have a shot at? I suspect beyond one or two we're looking at promising but as yet mainly untested kids from premiership benches.

So I'd say overall Chungy is less of a risk than others. Like you I'm not entirely convinced because his quality on the ball will be lovely but I do wonder how he fits in entirely. I think he'd link well with Madine but Chungy isn't a goalscorer really so it sort of leaves us a little back at square one in that regard. Perhaps play him off the left as Buckley/Noone are seemingly not performing.

He is someone with the potential to control the possession and I think would add something. But it still leaves us that pacy direct, have a shot type short in the support cast behind Madine. And presumably we'll only sign one for in there.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:12 am

Chungy was as lovable for his work-rate as his talent, so it makes sense managerially as well as politically.

What doesn't make much sense is hiring another right-winger when that's already clearly the best position for Ameobi, Morais and Noone, with Buckley probably also preferring it but being more flexible than the others (ie he can flatter to deceive anywhere across the 3 of the 4231). I suppose we could ask LCY to play on the left and he could fulfil a Zach-type remit. And obviously I'd welcome him back, but it does feel like we have bigger squad holes to fill, namely defensive midfield and target man.

Iles also raising doubts as to whether the Hammers will allow Burke'n'Cullen back out, given their squad paucity. That one could go down to the wire but at some point we'll have to stop waiting for them and make more concerted moves for alternatives. I'm sure we'll have others in mind.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:33 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:06 am
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:36 am
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

I get what you're saying. Totally. He's hardly played.

To counter that though, he's a 29 year old experienced pro who knows the club already. How many players with his level of experience and pedigree could we actually have a shot at? I suspect beyond one or two we're looking at promising but as yet mainly untested kids from premiership benches.

So I'd say overall Chungy is less of a risk than others. Like you I'm not entirely convinced because his quality on the ball will be lovely but I do wonder how he fits in entirely. I think he'd link well with Madine but Chungy isn't a goalscorer really so it sort of leaves us a little back at square one in that regard. Perhaps play him off the left as Buckley/Noone are seemingly not performing.

He is someone with the potential to control the possession and I think would add something. But it still leaves us that pacy direct, have a shot type short in the support cast behind Madine. And presumably we'll only sign one for in there.
It'd be great to have him back, but I fear we're collecting right wingers, just as we once collected full backs. That said, Chungy working the ball with Ameobi and some willing runners would be nice to see :)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:56 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:12 am
Chungy was as lovable for his work-rate as his talent, so it makes sense managerially as well as politically.

What doesn't make much sense is hiring another right-winger when that's already clearly the best position for Ameobi, Morais and Noone, with Buckley probably also preferring it but being more flexible than the others (ie he can flatter to deceive anywhere across the 3 of the 4231). I suppose we could ask LCY to play on the left and he could fulfil a Zach-type remit. And obviously I'd welcome him back, but it does feel like we have bigger squad holes to fill, namely defensive midfield and target man.

Iles also raising doubts as to whether the Hammers will allow Burke'n'Cullen back out, given their squad paucity. That one could go down to the wire but at some point we'll have to stop waiting for them and make more concerted moves for alternatives. I'm sure we'll have others in mind.
To me, he can play anywhere across that 3. I think he was excellent for a period in this league in the central attacking midfield role. And Vela isn't so hot right now.....

I don't think he's a "right winger" in the traditional sense, and I strongly suspect we don't intend to play him there.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:00 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:56 am
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:12 am
To me, he can play anywhere across that 3. I think he was excellent for a period in this league in the central attacking midfield role. And Vela isn't so hot right now.....

I don't think he's a "right winger" in the traditional sense, and I strongly suspect we don't intend to play him there.
I don't think Ameobi is a right-winger in the traditional sense, and nor is Noone: inverted right-wingers, perhaps, but that's not "traditional" (like Morais: jiggle/sprint, byline, cross). My point remains that we're overstaffed in that position. You may well be right that we intend to play him elsewhere (as I'd said). I'd hope so.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:22 pm

Are we not romanticising CYL a little? CYL just before he left us and before he broke his leg was fantastic for us, but it's now, what 3 years later and he's hardly played...just think he would be a luxury that we could ill afford at the moment and still not get what we really need...just imo of course

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:51 pm

He is an improvement on Buckley.
Ameobi has also looked a bit burnt out to me later on in games.
So it’s a thumbs up from me.

We still need a centre mid and would desire centre half and centre forward cover.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:52 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:51 pm
He is an improvement on Buckley.
Ameobi has also looked a bit burnt out to me later on in games.
So it’s a thumbs up from me.

We still need a centre mid and would desire centre half and centre forward cover.
Surely centre forward cover is essential? Madine could get injured/lose form tomorrow and we have no cover whatsoever.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:05 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:52 pm
Surely centre forward cover is essential? Madine could get injured/lose form tomorrow and we have no cover whatsoever.
We don't have "no cover whatsoever", we have a fully-grown professional target man in Aaron Wilbraham. I mean, his cameos have hardly suggested he deserves a longer spell, but to say we have "no cover whatsoever" is simply factually incorrect.

I too would like us to hire another striker, and plainly so too would Parkinson. The latest is that they're waiting for Madine to sign in order to discover what kind of striker to find. Interestingly, Iles suggests that had he gone to Cardiff or wherever we'd have gone for Darren Bent, whom Parky knows from Charlton (he didn't manage him, but he was Pardew's assistant there; by the time Pards left, so had Bent).