. . . and take Gartside with you, too.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Re: . . . and take Gartside with you, too.

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:06 pm

13 different teams have won the top flight in Japan in the last 30 years. It neither makes it exciting or competitive.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:16 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Until last year, when was the last time Man City won it? Within the last decade Chelsea won it for the first time in about 50 years. Our league could be won by somebody who never has before, if they can find the right foreign billionaire.
Does that make it competitive? Billionaires buying success? Do you think the English top flight is a competitive, open, interesting league?

Twente nearly went bust 10 years ago. They're now owned by Joop Munsterman, who'll never have to busk for change but certainly isn't in the Chelsea/City stratosphere. They haven't spent lavishly, but they've been well managed (on and off the pitch) and picked up their first ever national title. I just think that's far more interesting than being bankrolled by a mining billionaire, that's all.
I didn't say it made it competitive, just that I could see somebody winning it for the first time :D .

I don't think it is particularly competitive, but it is better than it was in the nineties, in terms of actually winning the thing anyway.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:13 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:So you don't think their top flight is more likely than ours to be won by a team that's never won it before?
This year? No.
Any year, generally, but thanks anyway. I'll ask another: when do you think the English top flight will next be won by a team that hasn't won it before? Or, to narrow it down, anyone who isn't Man City, Man United, Chelsea, Arsenal, even Liverpool? I think it will be a very long time. And I dislike that: it makes things very boring indeed.
I have no idea! But I don't think it's obviously likely to be before a team outside of Ajax, PSV, Feyenoord, Twente or AZ wins the Eredivisie. Five years ago, did it seem likely that Man City would be winning the title any time soon?
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:And as a side issue, I deplore the idea that a league being unpredictable is evidence of low quality.
I'll go further than that and say that unpredictability and 'competitiveness' are absolutely no indicator as to quality on their own whatsoever. That was actually my main point.
Ah, I see. I would agree that you can have a competitive league of any quality: that competition in itself does not guarantee brilliance. But it does at least threaten interest, which the Premier League procession has lacked for far too long.
Ok, so now we're talking about 'interest', which is something totally different and even harder to pin down.

Odd discussion, really.
Last edited by mummywhycantieatcrayons on Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:46 pm

The original point:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:I lived in the Netherlands for a year and saw a fair bit of Eredivisie football. To be honest, Championship football is exactly what I'd liken it to.
Yep - last year six teams went into the last month with a chance of winning the title. Our top flight ironed out that sort of thing years ago...
...by which I meant I find the Eredivisie (and our Championship) much less predictable and therefore interesting than our much-lauded but essentially oligopolised top flight, which very quickly becomes a procession of the usual suspects. That's all.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:51 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:The original point:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:I lived in the Netherlands for a year and saw a fair bit of Eredivisie football. To be honest, Championship football is exactly what I'd liken it to.
Yep - last year six teams went into the last month with a chance of winning the title. Our top flight ironed out that sort of thing years ago...
...by which I meant I find the Eredivisie (and our Championship) much less predictable and therefore interesting than our much-lauded but essentially oligopolised top flight, which very quickly becomes a procession of the usual suspects. That's all.
That's very interesting.

But the real original point was what the quality is like in some of the smaller European leagues, because that is relevant when it comes to assigning weight to people's experience managing in those leagues.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:55 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:The original point:
That's very interesting. But the real original point was what the quality is like in some of the smaller European leagues, because that is relevant when it comes to assigning weight to people's experience managing in those leagues.
Ah. Well in that case, places like Holland and Norway are definitely feeder leagues for the Premier, a bit like the Championship... which was your original point. :)

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:39 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:But the real original point was what the quality is like in some of the smaller European leagues, because that is relevant when it comes to assigning weight to people's experience managing in those leagues.
But is it positive or negative? There's no doubt that MLS is a lower quality league than the Premier League, but it's also much more balanced. Last season the top and bottom teams were separated by 39 points vs. 64 points in the Premier League (though MLS does only play 34 games in the regular season). Now I would argue that Bruce Arena's ability to exploit loopholes and put together a team that can win a balanced league is more impressive than Mancini's ability to win the league with a team made of player who each make more money than most MLS teams.

That doesn't mean Arena is necessarily a better manager than Mancini, but his skillset is certainly more suited to our situation.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:14 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:But the real original point was what the quality is like in some of the smaller European leagues, because that is relevant when it comes to assigning weight to people's experience managing in those leagues.
But is it positive or negative? There's no doubt that MLS is a lower quality league than the Premier League, but it's also much more balanced. Last season the top and bottom teams were separated by 39 points vs. 64 points in the Premier League (though MLS does only play 34 games in the regular season). Now I would argue that Bruce Arena's ability to exploit loopholes and put together a team that can win a balanced league is more impressive than Mancini's ability to win the league with a team made of player who each make more money than most MLS teams.

That doesn't mean Arena is necessarily a better manager than Mancini, but his skillset is certainly more suited to our situation.

hang on - when I suggested a 'Murican manager - you told me there's was no way on God's earth it would work!! now you're saying Bruce Arena would be a good fit???

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:20 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:

I think this is a good thing, Mancini might turn us down.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:08 am

thebish wrote:hang on - when I suggested a 'Murican manager - you told me there's was no way on God's earth it would work!! now you're saying Bruce Arena would be a good fit???
I'm just using Arena in this case because MLS is a good example of a balanced, lower-quality league.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:26 am

H. Pedersen wrote:
thebish wrote:hang on - when I suggested a 'Murican manager - you told me there's was no way on God's earth it would work!! now you're saying Bruce Arena would be a good fit???
I'm just using Arena in this case because MLS is a good example of a balanced, lower-quality league.
So's the Scottish third. Elgin Marbles are doing quite well - Ross Jack in :pissed:
May the bridges I burn light your way