5 Games to go

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

gizmothevoomer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: 5 Games to go

Post by gizmothevoomer » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:03 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
gizmothevoomer wrote:If the comment about playing sport at a top level was aimed at me then, I have played rugby in this country at the equivalent of current division 1 in football ( Two promotions of premiership ). At college I played for a club with a number of current home nation internationals, although I only played at second team level there. Not top level but certainly above average.
It waas ... & it will continue to be while you seem to believe that ;
a). You are alone on here in playing a sport at a decent level.
b). This (even if the above wasn't the case) gives you a unique insight that the rest of us don't ... indeed cant ... have.
c). referee's treatment in rugby is the same as football and that's going to change any time soon.

You went so far as to say that the referee in that Charlton match wasn't significant in our result ... which sort of tells the lie to points one & two, above.

These things even themselves out over a season ... which, given that the 'big-club syndrome' is a real phenomenon.

When it happens you have to suck it up as pissing & moaning about it isn't going to change anything at the time. This, at least, I tend to agree with.
As a final comment on the subject from me,

I don't believe I am the only person who has played sport at a decent level, Point C I am unsure of what you are trying to say so I can't comment.

The point about the referee in the Charlton match was that we put the referee into a position to make those decisions, he then made the best decision he was able to at the time. Consenus suggests that he got them wrong, Assuming he made these decisions impartially and without prejudice, if the roles had been reversed he would of made the same decision but sent Charlton players off. It was us who surrendered the two goal lead, we should of defended this better and to simply blame the referee is an easy way. As I said at the time I improved as a player when I looked where I could of done better on the pitch rather than blame someone else. A player can always improve himself and his own performance. But he can't improve the referees performance.

I will make an effort not to piss and moan about it from now on.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:45 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
I played Rugby against Neary, Tony Bond and Kevin O'Brien in one game. All internationals.

The ref was shit.
The question is: Was he a C*nt?
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:26 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Gizmo appears to be pissing & moaning about people pissing & moaning about the ref

Which means Bobo might be pissing & moaning about Gizmo pissing & moaning about people pissing & moaning about the ref

Which makes this post me pissing & moaning about Bobo pissing & moaning about Gizmo pissing & moaning about people pissing & moaning about the ref
Blimey, when you put it like that...

Final comment from me. Look, I'll downgrade him to total git alright? But I won't go any lower.

As I pointed out, I'm not randomly ref bashing. When watching a game I usually pay close attention to the ref's performance as well as the players. As with this guy I'll sometimes go through their case history too.

It's a preoccupation, cos they get on my wick so.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:04 pm

gizmothevoomer wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
gizmothevoomer wrote:If the comment about playing sport at a top level was aimed at me then, I have played rugby in this country at the equivalent of current division 1 in football ( Two promotions of premiership ). At college I played for a club with a number of current home nation internationals, although I only played at second team level there. Not top level but certainly above average.
It waas ... & it will continue to be while you seem to believe that ;
a). You are alone on here in playing a sport at a decent level.
b). This (even if the above wasn't the case) gives you a unique insight that the rest of us don't ... indeed cant ... have.
c). referee's treatment in rugby is the same as football and that's going to change any time soon.

You went so far as to say that the referee in that Charlton match wasn't significant in our result ... which sort of tells the lie to points one & two, above.

These things even themselves out over a season ... which, given that the 'big-club syndrome' is a real phenomenon.

When it happens you have to suck it up as pissing & moaning about it isn't going to change anything at the time. This, at least, I tend to agree with.
As a final comment on the subject from me,

I don't believe I am the only person who has played sport at a decent level, Point C I am unsure of what you are trying to say so I can't comment.

The point about the referee in the Charlton match was that we put the referee into a position to make those decisions, he then made the best decision he was able to at the time. Consenus suggests that he got them wrong, Assuming he made these decisions impartially and without prejudice, if the roles had been reversed he would of made the same decision but sent Charlton players off. It was us who surrendered the two goal lead, we should of defended this better and to simply blame the referee is an easy way. As I said at the time I improved as a player when I looked where I could of done better on the pitch rather than blame someone else. A player can always improve himself and his own performance. But he can't improve the referees performance.

I will make an effort not to piss and moan about it from now on.
The only way Ricketts could have avoided putting him in a position to make those decisions is by not bothering tackling. Outstanding advice.

Craig Davies first booking was a joke, but he at least had no need to get involved, otherwise, you're talking bollocks.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:21 pm

Might be a point that it's all a bit harder with ten men than eleven. I'll mention again that we were warned about Kettle before the game...by the opposition.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

gizmothevoomer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by gizmothevoomer » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:27 pm

Which bit is bollox?

The part that a team 2 goals up should be able to close a game out and ensure the three points.

Or the fact that I said We put the referee in a position to have to make those decisions? Other people have made the same observation.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:29 pm

The bit about putting him in the position to make the decisions. Of course we did, the alternative was not bothering tackling. Cravies' first I'll give you, and I reckon that's what Freedman was on about, it was never a booking, but he didn't need to get involved. Ricketts' pair: the first I'm convinced was a dive, and the second he got dragged under it by Fuller, which was probably a fould but was never, ever, ever, a booking. The only way he could have avoided them was not bothering tackling. Outstanding advice.

As for 'should be holding on to a two goal lead', I agree. The defending for the first was woeful, but we got sucker punched in a five minute period that started with the first red, followed by their goal from the resulting free kick, and then a (correctly awarded) penalty. Trying to come back from that with 10 and then 9 was made unneccesarily difficult. I'm convinced we wouldn't have given the pen away with 11 on too, but hey ho.

Doesn't alter the trufax that the ref was a bell-end and played a part in our defeat.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.