Coyle vs Megson

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Coyle vs Megson

Post by truewhite15 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:45 pm

Martin_Cruise wrote:I don't think we have the points total we should have in Dougie's time, i think we have better players than Hull who are going to finish 2nd.Dougie's away record is poor and hasn't shown any sign of improving.Any team that puts us under pressure away from home scores a goal, Leicester was as flimsy as ever.He has vastly improved the home form after a disgusting start against the likes of Barnsley, Ipswich and Sheff Wed so credit for that
Conveniently forgetting wins against now-champions Cardiff and Charlton, and a draw against then-high-flying Leicester.

Seems like a classic case of "we're billy big bollocks, we should be shitting this league" to me. You seem to have mentally skimmed over the losing mentality of the previous 18 months under Coyle; our entire team essentially needed to be stripped down to basics and built back up from scratch.

Having lost 7 of our first 14 games in all competitions, and having never strung together more than 2 without losing, Dougie took over and avoided defeat in his first 6. Yes, it only included 2 wins, but just scrambling to points at that point, considering what we'd come off the back of, was a monumental achievement.

We've won 4 away games, drawn 6 and lost 6 in all competitions since Dougie took over. This coming off the back of 6 defeats, 1 draw and 1 win in the 14 games beforehand. That's an impressive turn-around in anybody's book.

All that, combined with the best home streak we've had since (IIRC) 2005. How is it that ANYBODY can still have a bad word to say about the new man in charge?

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:50 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Martin_Cruise wrote:I don't think we have the points total we should have in Dougie's time, i think we have better players than Hull who are going to finish 2nd.Dougie's away record is poor and hasn't shown any sign of improving.Any team that puts us under pressure away from home scores a goal, Leicester was as flimsy as ever.He has vastly improved the home form after a disgusting start against the likes of Barnsley, Ipswich and Sheff Wed so credit for that
Conveniently forgetting wins against now-champions Cardiff and Charlton, and a draw against then-high-flying Leicester.

Seems like a classic case of "we're billy big bollocks, we should be shitting this league" to me. You seem to have mentally skimmed over the losing mentality of the previous 18 months under Coyle; our entire team essentially needed to be stripped down to basics and built back up from scratch.

Having lost 7 of our first 14 games in all competitions, and having never strung together more than 2 without losing, Dougie took over and avoided defeat in his first 6. Yes, it only included 2 wins, but just scrambling to points at that point, considering what we'd come off the back of, was a monumental achievement.

We've won 4 away games, drawn 6 and lost 6 in all competitions since Dougie took over. This coming off the back of 6 defeats, 1 draw and 1 win in the 14 games beforehand. That's an impressive turn-around in anybody's book.

All that, combined with the best home streak we've had since (IIRC) 2005. How is it that ANYBODY can still have a bad word to say about the new man in charge?

Couldn't have summed it up better, I was just interested in hearing Martin's reason.
Pfffft.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:07 pm

truewhite15 wrote:

:pray:
And Dominating Sunderland over 2 games not to mention pretty much Everton aswell
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:10 pm

truewhite15 wrote:

Couldn't agree more TrueWhite.

Without sounding pedant; your argument is full of data and facts whilst Martin's is an opinion.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:28 pm

A minor amendment. I said we'd won 4, lost 6 and drawn 6 of all away games since Dougie took over. I then pointed out that we'd lost 6, drawn 1 and won 1 in the previous 14 games put together.

I meant, of course, that we'd lost 6, drawn 1 and won 1 of the 8 away games before Dougie took over. Which actually serves my point even more.

As you were.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:38 pm

truewhite15 wrote:A minor amendment. I said we'd won 4, lost 6 and drawn 6 of all away games since Dougie took over. I then pointed out that we'd lost 6, drawn 1 and won 1 in the previous 14 games put together.

I meant, of course, that we'd lost 6, drawn 1 and won 1 of the 8 away games before Dougie took over. Which actually serves my point even more.

As you were.
So our away PPG shot up from 0.5 to over 1 after the change, still not amazing but that's quite a big shift!
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:44 pm

truewhite15 wrote:How is it that ANYBODY can still have a bad word to say about the new man in charge?
His hair looks stupid.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:46 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:
truewhite15 wrote:How is it that ANYBODY can still have a bad word to say about the new man in charge?
His hair looks stupid.
Fvck off, he's absolutely gorgeous.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:48 pm

Martin_Cruise wrote:This is the post of the thread although I disagree that Taylor was a good signing.He was an overpriced Portsmouth reject imo.What's a fact is we lost money on him.
Like BWFC_I said, we'd have gone down without him in 2008. Worth his transfer fee right there. And he scored a lot of goals for a midfielder in a mediocre team. And his set-piece delivery was excellent. And we recouped around half of the transfer fee.

Never quite understood the Taylor hate.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:51 pm

We lost money, on bought, sold comparison. But some massive goals probably clawed back about £40m
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:54 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:3. I think we'd have made money on Muamba if: (a) his heart hadn't packed in; and (b) he'd been used properly by a decent manager.
"Using Muamba properly" basically means "using him to break up the play and pray he can pass 5 yards before giving it away." There is certainly a role for a player like that in a team like Bolton, but I don't see how we ever would have turned a profit on him.

Again, I feel bad saying it, but some of his misses were so bad that I'm not sure I could replicate them if I tried.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:59 pm

Didn't we sell Taylor for like 2mill with 6 months left on his contract
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:56 pm

jaffka wrote:So he spent a lot more money on shite then if all coyles similar signings were shite. There we have it then megson was shite.

You, sir, are a genius.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:31 am

Lord Kangana wrote:
jaffka wrote:So he spent a lot more money on shite then if all coyles similar signings were shite. There we have it then megson was shite.

You, sir, are a genius.
Ah, thank you.

Case closed, lets move on, Megson was shite.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:51 am

Doublegenius.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:29 am

but gazginger never signed greg wylde , at least when allardyce used to do it, it were dwight perrozoli from feck Knows , South America.

or when megson did that shit, he played them once or twice.

makes gerald cid or elmander look like a jason mcateer-esque bargain.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:20 am

a1 wrote:

but gazginger never signed greg wylde , at least when allardyce used to do it, it were dwight perrozoli from feck Knows , South America.

or when megson did that shit, he played them once or twice.

makes gerald cid or elmander look like a jason mcateer-esque bargain.
Allardyce is not part of this discussion.

So you are saying that megson is less shit than coyle because he played shit players :laugh:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:05 am

Addenda from memory and a very quick web-skim. Frees unless stated (although that ignores signing-on fee, wages etc)
thebish wrote:Megson signings:

Steinsson £3,5m
Taylor £3,5m
Cahill £5m
Muamba £5m
Elmander £8.2m according to the club
Riga
Shittu £2m
M Davies "believed to be £1m rising to £2m"
S Davis
Connolly £1m
Knight £4m
Ricketts
Lee £2,2m

Coyles signings
Holden £250k
Robinson £1m - technically a Megson signing
Blake
Petrov
Alonso £2.2m
Klasnic
Eaves £250k
Wheater £2.3m
Reo-Coker
Pratley
Eagles £2.5m with Mears
Mears £2.5m with Eagles
Ngog £4m
Ream £2,5m
Sordell £3m
Wylde
Andrews
Lonergan £200k
Mills £2m
McKee -

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:09 am

We've been round the houses on this, but 11m euros (direct quote from Coyle B(e)N) was, even in a hedge-fund-manager's-wildest-wet-dream never as low as £8m in 2008-09 (when we would have paid for him).

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:35 am

Coyle might have been out of his depth but Megson was pure evil.

He came to this club thinking that we were shit and he was great. While the league table showed that he might have had a point on the former his management record quite clearly showed that he was wildly off the mark with the latter.

He constantly bemoaned the fact that the fans 'nave gave (him) a chance' and that our ambitions were unrealistic for a club of our size (despite what SA had acheived) and almost cultivated an air of defeat around the club in 24hrs.

Writing off games before a ball's been kicked may be seen as realism or pragmatism but he seemed to set a target no higher than 0-0. If we lost he'd shrug his shoulders if we won he'd go on MotD like a dancing gnome rejoicing in a 'I told you so' fashion.

He WAS given a chance to be good. We want our team to do well. Who in their right mind wants to be fighting relegation year-on-year?

'Bolton aren't Real Madrid' he said. That's right Gary we're not and we never will be but neither were we Northampton Town so stop talking bollocks and get going.

I've not read the full thread above but I'm sure Rasziak and the UEFA/Wigan farago has come up several times.

For the first time in this clubs existence we had a chance of some European silverware (Lancs-Manx apart) and he blew it. Deliberatley. Can you imagine that? Threw away something we could have put in the trophy cabinet and in the honours column for ever just so we could lose at New Springfield Park.

For that alone he should have been railroaded out of the county.

He'll come back. Football chairman have short/bad/no memories and someone will give him a job soon.

Prove us wrong Gary.

Prove us wrong.

Coyle on the other hand? Just couldn't hack it.
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey