2015/16 pre-season

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: 2015/16 pre-season

Post by twilight » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:50 pm

Thanks for the info on Maher guys (must've had a sleep when he was loaned out, don't recall his name at all!!!)

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:51 pm

LeverEnd wrote:Ahhhhh! Jamie Lanister.
:conf:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:12 pm

Does that make twilight Brienne of Tarth?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:16 pm

Prufrock wrote:Does that make twilight Brienne of Tarth?
Or Jamie's sister !!!
Last edited by bobo the clown on Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:38 pm

:D

Has anyone actually watched that training video posted? (again underneath) I initially didn't bother but our kid pointed me to the training game 10 mins onwards.

Now, I make it a mission in life both never to get too excited about any of our kids, and to disagree with Bobo wherever possible, but Zach is a bit special, isn't he? Trying to figure out who the two lads he skins at 11:30 and 13:10 are (best guesses are White and then Taylor) but if he's not careful one of our own is going to kick him up in the air before the season even starts. Absolutely the real deal. Just hope he's not made of glass.

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Post by danardif1 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:52 pm

It annoys me that he didn't get a chance in the first team sooner, because it seems like all this time there's this clearly gifted lad in the youth setup and meanwhile Freedman is loaning in players like Mason to play upfront that whilst he is certainly not terrible, wasn't our own player and hardly set the world alight. This 'eye for youth' that he trumped about failed to spot one of the most talented players he's had at the clubs he's been at...

It was a couple of months between Lennon coming in and Zach getting his debut against Wigan in the Cup, and even then you could say 'why not sooner' but I would suggest he was concentrating on getting the existing 1st team squad functioning as an actual football team first before casting his eye on our younger players. Right from that first game he was electric... just seems to have that awareness of what is going on around him on the pitch.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:05 am

On firm it's a little bit like that kid who's just simply better than the rest. He is quicker to react and sees the game simply. Maybe there's still a long way to go and so far he's only at 2nd division level and only a dozen or so games at that (thanks Dougie !!). It could all hit a wall and he could be found out or he may be made of glass but I do hope we get the chance to see him grow into a very good player.

... oh, and "told you so !!"
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:15 am

The difference between the good and the top class is mental. Tom Walker is only 6 months younger than Clough and has bags of talent, but is clearly not ready yet; his decision-making isn't there. Walker is like Bogdan the year we went down: Talented, but mentally still a kid trying to work out how he's playing with adults. Clough's decision-making is (almost) always right. He's got a long way to go, and as you say, lots can happen but the maturity at that age to always want the ball and to always want to hurt people is fab to watch. He finishes so well too. Michael Owen-like in that it always somehow seems to trickle in.

I still want to know what Boris' inside on Kellet is, coz if he's the real deal too, even if we actually lose him, it shows there's something finally going right in the academy.

chester white
Promising
Promising

Post by chester white » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:58 am

LeverEnd wrote:What about Osede playing at RB if required? I would hope he's technically proficient with both feet if he's been coached by Zidane for a couple of years.
I'd have looked at Sam Ricketts again after his release by Wolves, but Coventry have signed him. Classic case of a decent honest player who seems better in the brownish hindsight glow of what we've seen since, but was sneered at by many.
Looking at the training video linked, it appears Osede it playing right back in the training game.
The Sherpa Van Trophy! We've won it one time!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:21 am

^^ for the first part .... and centre half later. I guess they're finding out what they have.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:51 am

Prufrock wrote::D

Has anyone actually watched that training video posted? (again underneath) I initially didn't bother but our kid pointed me to the training game 10 mins onwards.

Now, I make it a mission in life both never to get too excited about any of our kids, and to disagree with Bobo wherever possible, but Zach is a bit special, isn't he? Trying to figure out who the two lads he skins at 11:30 and 13:10 are (best guesses are White and then Taylor) but if he's not careful one of our own is going to kick him up in the air before the season even starts. Absolutely the real deal. Just hope he's not made of glass.

It's a great video and it highlights plenty (much of which we already knew...):
Rob Hall doing well then immediately fecking it up. He's direct, which is good, but he's almost too raw.
Heskey missing a one-on-one
Walker losing possession trying to go it alone/do too much down a narrow alley (twice)
Clough skinning people willy-nilly (though he really should have squared it after the drag-back move in the far corner)
Pratley having the best engine.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:29 am

Noticed Clough arrived with Mavies. Lets hope they don't end up hanging out too much :|

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:36 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:Noticed Clough arrived with Mavies. Lets hope they don't end up hanging out too much :|
In all seriousness, if those two get on the same wavelength (and pitch, obvs) they could have some real fun in this division.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:47 am

I get the impression that they are going to be fit.

You can also a see that he wants the ball being moved about quickly.

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:57 am

Second video is out today so will post when it shows up.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:06 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:Noticed Clough arrived with Mavies. Lets hope they don't end up hanging out too much :|
In all seriousness, if those two get on the same wavelength (and pitch, obvs) they could have some real fun in this division.
Though Mavies has some explaining to do bout that haircut !!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:27 am

bobo the clown wrote:
He can have a Mohi as far as I'm concerned, long as he stays fit

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:29 am

bobo the clown wrote:
He can have a Mohi as far as I'm concerned, long as he stays fit
Well argued.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:39 am

Yes, totally agree. With a bit of luck Clayton will continue his progress too. It's further back that I'm most worried about!

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:59 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Yes, totally agree. With a bit of luck Clayton will continue his progress too. It's further back that I'm most worried about!
You and me both, those lads have to receive the ball if they're to do any damage on the front foot!