January 2022 Transfer Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: January 2022 Transfer Thread

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:38 am

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:25 am
A close reading of offhand quotes is often a fool's errand, but it's not like there's any actual football to distract us so...

Charles. Had no idea who he was. Have since done some YouTube scouting and he looks promising. BWFCi won't be happy though, he's another short-arse. Nice mix of goals including a lot of poached efforts which I think is important for us. A bit like Doyle with more of an all round game. It's a tiny sample size but I trust the scouting team.

Hartigan - lots put 2 and 2 together and came up with we're not after him, he's not on any shortlists. Reads a bit more ambiguously to me. First name terms and "at the moment". My no basis reckon is that's a negotiating ploy aimed at Wimbledon saying "we're not paying that".
I've stopped youtube scouting since Daniel Braaten! :-)

Agree his Hartigan comments read a little like "there's a shop full of that shit"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:48 am

Yep - I think we may have been eyeing up Hartigan but perhaps have better targets we’ll chase first

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:57 am

That seal dribble though!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:03 am

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:57 am
That seal dribble though!
:D

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:01 am

Looks increasingly like Charles is a player we know we can get on the terms we want and Hartigan is trickier to sort. He is playing, Wombles are due a development fee regardless and he's not going to throw out his toys if he has to wait until summer for a move.

I agree with Pruf that there's an element of "your move" to Evatt's Hartigan comments, but also we will have other irons in the fire and won't want to rub anyone's nose in being second choice. Also seems unlikely that we only want one centre mid.

Stanley supporters seem to think Charles is a player who overrates himself and has a shocking attitude, but that may just be the griping of disappointed fans. It's hard to reconcile Evatt's "if only people knew the amazing talent we were after they'd shut up" stuff with Dion Charles being our main target, but he'd improve the squad.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:16 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:01 am
It's hard to reconcile Evatt's "if only people knew the amazing talent we were after they'd shut up" stuff with Dion Charles being our main target, but he'd improve the squad.
Welcome back!

I suspect Charles is far from the sexiest name on the list but common sense dictates that even Evatt won’t blurt out a long-odds name.

The worry with Charles is that he’s only really had one good season above tier six, but he does seem to have worked on his game. Our boy Brommers tweeted an interesting Twitter thread from a fellow analyst (trigger warning: contains numbers).

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:59 pm

Cheers, DSB. We got hit pretty badly by the storms up here and we only just got our phonelines (and thus internet) back up last weekend. Hasn't been much to post about since then aside from Covid, which I'm sure we are all sick of hearing about.

I fancy Charles to be a good signing, but I don't think he'll shut a lot of people up. The usual shouts of "Why are signing lads from clubs like Accrington!?" will go up from more than a few.

If there a few names coming in who will get folk excited then great. I'll take players like Charles who will improve the squad, though. We can't afford a squad of big names.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:35 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:59 pm
Cheers, DSB. We got hit pretty badly by the storms up here and we only just got our phonelines (and thus internet) back up last weekend. Hasn't been much to post about since then aside from Covid, which I'm sure we are all sick of hearing about.

I fancy Charles to be a good signing, but I don't think he'll shut a lot of people up. The usual shouts of "Why are signing lads from clubs like Accrington!?" will go up from more than a few.

If there a few names coming in who will get folk excited then great. I'll take players like Charles who will improve the squad, though. We can't afford a squad of big names.
Don’t care where he comes from it’s whether he adds the physicality, presence and pace we lack up front. I know little about him but we don’t need a younger Doyle we need someone who can mix it up more up front.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:53 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:35 pm
Don’t care where he comes from it’s whether he adds the physicality, presence and pace we lack up front. I know little about him but we don’t need a younger Doyle we need someone who can mix it up more up front.
Well, he's not a big lad - that's for sure. He used to play off the right for Fylde and he's not slow - or at least he wasn't when I saw him for Halifax when I took my little lad a few times as we are on that side of the Pennines. Not rapid either, mind.

He's not precisely what I'd have picked out as us needing, but what he does have is a bit of audacity. Doyle is a penalty box sniffer with commendable work rate. Charles is a player who will pick the ball up inside or outside the box and try to make things happen.

He looks like he's added that "fox in the box" stuff at Accy and he's always been genuinely two-footed, so I've no issue with it. I'm not sure we're rolling in better options.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:06 pm

Tricky Nicko saying Dion Charles “should” be one of January’s first deals. £300k.

“Bolton. Charles should be one of first deals of window. Decent fee too. Around 300. Long time since that was spent on a player. Reasonable sum for Accrington Stanley too.”

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:31 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:06 pm
Tricky Nicko saying Dion Charles “should” be one of January’s first deals. £300k.

“Bolton. Charles should be one of first deals of window. Decent fee too. Around 300. Long time since that was spent on a player. Reasonable sum for Accrington Stanley too.”
Sounds positive. Let's hope the accumulation exceeds the speculation.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:39 pm

That fee, if correct, feels like the kind of deal Gartside used to sign off. I hope it's "rising to" rather than it simply being the agreed price.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:58 pm

300k is a huge amount for a player in his position. He's not playing for them and he has 6 months on his deal. Will be shocked if Alan has that one right.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:41 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:58 pm
300k is a huge amount for a player in his position. He's not playing for them and he has 6 months on his deal. Will be shocked if Alan has that one right.
Me too. I'd rather struggle on until summer and have him for nowt then, than shell out that kind of money.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:12 pm

I suspect if Doyle wasn’t so wasteful we wouldn’t be paying for him. I also suspect there’s some incentives in that price. But if it was the other way round there has to be a point where you wouldn’t sell to another team in your league just to get a wage off the books - they were after a million quid in the summer weren’t they?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:29 pm

It’s mind boggling to me we’d pay a fee for a striker who isn’t playing.

We have Doyle, Kachunga, Dapo, Baka.

All could do a job up top. Are any ideal? No. But given we are far worse off in other areas I’m pretty shocked we’d invest so much in a striker. Has to be one that Evatt believes is top notch and will change us and let’s hope he has that right.

Real test. If it doesn’t work out it’s a huge judgement error that could seriously bite us.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:30 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:12 pm
I suspect if Doyle wasn’t so wasteful we wouldn’t be paying for him. I also suspect there’s some incentives in that price. But if it was the other way round there has to be a point where you wouldn’t sell to another team in your league just to get a wage off the books - they were after a million quid in the summer weren’t they?
2 million offer from Forest was the rumour iirc.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:48 pm

There is probably a start of Jan and end of Jan price as well - we might be will big to buy now to avoid being gazumped by someone else later on.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:03 pm

I also admit to being slightly shocked at the £300k figure when I first read it, but it’s from Nixon so could be well wide of the mark.

There’s a reason Charles was getting a lot of hype over the summer. Has a bit of ‘X factor’ in the final third, is always looking to make something happen whether that be taking an opponent on, having a shot at goal or playing a defence-splitting through ball. Will certainly add a lot of much needed energy to our pedestrian attack.

A few more additions of this calibre and the second half of the season looks really positive.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:35 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:30 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:12 pm
2 million offer from Forest was the rumour iirc.

I suspect that if anything like that amount of money was really offered he'd currently be a Nottingham Forest player.