Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:12 pm

Whitesince63 wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:18 am
Not a striker?

One question then.

If Doyler gets injured who takes his place?
I suspect Evatt would say Kachunga, who is expected to make his full home debut tonight. It would probably be Baka but he ain't back-a till October at least. Kachunga was signed when Amaechi was injured, and I think he will play more wide than up top for us, but let's see.

Personally, I'd like another option too, especially with Baka out.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:22 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:10 pm
A lot of people are noting that we have the division's high shot-to-goal ratio, ie we're the most clinical with chances. That's lovely, but I worry about reversion to the mean, ie we're overperforming now but our luck won't hold (ask Cambridge).

Similarly, we've been allowing our opponents far more attempts on goal than we've been laying on theirs - before Saturday it was 65 to 82 across the season, with a hefty slice of ours coming on the opening day (we had 17 efforts to MK's 10). In terms of attempts on target, we've now achieved 20 to our opponents' 33. Again, kudos to Dixon for keeping them out, but can that last?
Self-quoting but one other stat to tie to this. Our xG balance, ie (the number of efforts we should score from) minus (the ones we should concede from), has frequently been extraordinarily level so far this season. In date order from the MK opener to Cambridge last weekend, it's been 0.8, 0, 0.1, -0.7 (Lincoln), -0.1, 0 and 0.3. These are evidently evenly-balanced games decided by fine margins. I don't particularly fear that Doyler isn't up to it, but I do fear the (temporary?) lack of alternatives.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:53 pm

Swansea happy to loan out Kyle Joseph, the 6ft1in teenage striker they signed in summer from Wigan, where he scored five in 18 third-tier games last season

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:53 pm

My first thought when I saw that stat about the goals to shots was that it's unlikely to last. Maybe we'll create more, miss more and still score a good few goals, but it's not one to cling to because I don't think we're really as clinical as it suggests.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:59 pm

Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:22 pm
Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:10 pm
A lot of people are noting that we have the division's high shot-to-goal ratio, ie we're the most clinical with chances. That's lovely, but I worry about reversion to the mean, ie we're overperforming now but our luck won't hold (ask Cambridge).

Similarly, we've been allowing our opponents far more attempts on goal than we've been laying on theirs - before Saturday it was 65 to 82 across the season, with a hefty slice of ours coming on the opening day (we had 17 efforts to MK's 10). In terms of attempts on target, we've now achieved 20 to our opponents' 33. Again, kudos to Dixon for keeping them out, but can that last?
Self-quoting but one other stat to tie to this. Our xG balance, ie (the number of efforts we should score from) minus (the ones we should concede from), has frequently been extraordinarily level so far this season. In date order from the MK opener to Cambridge last weekend, it's been 0.8, 0, 0.1, -0.7 (Lincoln), -0.1, 0 and 0.3. These are evidently evenly-balanced games decided by fine margins. I don't particularly fear that Doyler isn't up to it, but I do fear the (temporary?) lack of alternatives.
I guess the worry is that even with Bakayoko and Kachunga fit - two clearly good players - neither are prolific. So if you're looking for a long period without Doyle and finding a different way to play you might also struggle to hit the net so regularly. I know we've shared goals round and to me that's good but I still fear that we might at some periods struggle to find enough goalscoring power.

At the same time I don't think we're likely to bring in a proven goalscorer or even a young unproven one with high enough potential. Its just a premium market for that player.

The lack of any rumour does make me wonder if the deal we're waiting on relies on lots of dominoes falling as by now if something was 'in place' you'd expect a hint of it from either our end or the other end. I don't think not signing anyone further would be a disaster but I would look at our squad as being somewhat lighter in key areas than I would think ideal.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:02 pm

Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:53 pm
Swansea happy to loan out Kyle Joseph, the 6ft1in teenage striker they signed in summer from Wigan, where he scored five in 18 third-tier games last season
Looks like this dude's off to Cheltenham

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:26 pm

Elsewhere, Sunderland still desperately trying to offload for nothing the striker they bought for £4m *while in this division*

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:36 pm

That fire seems to have fizzled out!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:37 pm

Our old mate the Postman has been mentioned casually in the B.N. Remembering how he always delivered...???
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:42 pm

Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:08 pm
Looking at Champo strikers who may be loaned out and Barnsley may let George Miller go. Bolton-born nephew of Mark Halsey, came up through Bury's academy, scored 15 goals in 47 third-tier games, earned a move to Boro who then shunted him sideways to Barnsley. He's since been loaned out to car-crash Bradford and then Scunny, hasn't worked. Still only 23. Described as strong and pacey, can play across front three, and last year the Barnsley gaffer said "he shows me a very good picture from the physical side and running side. He has a big impact."

He played the 90 minutes for them at our place - on the right of midfield in a 3-4-3 - having 75 touches (only four players had more), 79% accurate passing, three key passes (only one player had more), six accurate cross (game's highest) our of 12 (only Isgrove had more attempts). But not a second in the league yet this season.

Could be nowt, could be summat. Nearly deadline time...
George Miller's off to Walsall, according to one website.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:48 pm

Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:26 pm
Elsewhere, Sunderland still desperately trying to offload for nothing the striker they bought for £4m *while in this division*
Grigg? Bloody hell,didn't realise they'd shelled that out!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:01 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:48 pm
Aye. He's played 62 games and scored eight goals, or £500,000 per goal (excluding his wages, said to be around £6k per week)

Of those eight goals, two were in the Sherpa Van Trophy, one was in a 3-1 FA Cup win

His five league goals came in a 5-0 win, a 3-0 win, a 4-2 win, a 5-4 loss and a 2-1 win. So really the only one that mattered was that last one, a winner at home to 19th-placed Walsall

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:19 pm

Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:01 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Aye. He's played 62 games and scored eight goals, or £500,000 per goal (excluding his wages, said to be around £6k per week)

Of those eight goals, two were in the Sherpa Van Trophy, one was in a 3-1 FA Cup win

His five league goals came in a 5-0 win, a 3-0 win, a 4-2 win, a 5-4 loss and a 2-1 win. So really the only one that mattered was that last one, a winner at home to 19th-placed Walsall
Not even smouldering!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:28 pm

Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:01 pm
LeverEnd wrote:

Good for a cup run, then! :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:34 pm

And the first incoming link of the day....

Ben Jackson linked via the usually reliable Football League World. Potentially returning on loan.

A LB. Makes no sense to me unless of course there is interest in Liam Gordon.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:40 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:34 pm

Ben Jackson linked via the usually reliable Football League World. Potentially returning on loan.

I mean I like him and all that but a left-back was waaaaay down the priority list...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:42 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Certainly not where I'd be expecting us to sign, if we were only making one...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:45 pm

Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:40 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I mean I like him and all that but a left-back was waaaaay down the priority list...
Yeah our league clean sheet at Lincoln was with Gordon at LB. Which whilst Gordon is a bit shaky at times, suggests he's solid enough to hold his own if needed. DJ has been a bit shaky defensively but get the impression he's still not up to speed after the summer. And we know he's better going forward than the other side anyway. But I'd have thought between those two you're covered. Whereas Jones does a sterling job on the right without ever really maximising the huge amount of ball he gets and has been slightly less solid this season than last thus far and in reality Brockbank is injury cover for him (can't see Brocky forcing him out the side). So for me if we were getting a full back it'd have been a right back.

Unless of course we don't know something.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:49 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:45 pm
Unless of course we don't know something.
Fairly sure that'll hold true! :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:50 pm

Looking up Jackson on Transfermarkt and he's actually played most of his career on the left side of midfield (though this was non league) and is playing for Huddersfield's reserves in CM. Now Evatt doesn't strike me as the sort to sign a LB and play him elsewhere. But wonder if he's seen as some cover for LB/RB/midfield - a versatile player the manager knows and likes? I could see a role in an Allardyce side ala Robbie Elliot but I'm just not convinced IE is really into utility players?