Which muppet can we appoint next?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Which muppet can we appoint next?

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed May 18, 2016 1:49 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:It's a hell of a caveat
Basically I think that we will get promoted next season, providing that Peter Reid is not the manager.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 18, 2016 1:49 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:^^ worrying.
Bobo out of interest - what is worrying...?

Like I've said before to BWFCI give the new owners a chance, in KA's first interview on ITV he said that they will be getting the transfer embargo lifted ahead of the summer transfer window, which I don't think is WC 16th May so perhaps its not currently the No1 priority but perhaps it will be in a week or so.

I really don't know why people are worrying about anything, if the embargo hasn't been lifted by 1st July then yes maybe start to slightly panic, but DH/KA have inherited an absolute mess of a club from Gartside & Davies.

Too many people on the various BWFC forums are listening to any made up bullshit that Iles tweets, and actually believing it !!

It'll be fine - we'll go up next season, believe me (my only caveat is that we will however be relegated again if they appoint the managerial dinosaur that is Peter Reid)
Are you saying Reid would take us up, then down again? Or are you saying he'd take us straight down to L2?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 18, 2016 2:04 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:It's a hell of a caveat
Basically I think that we will get promoted next season, providing that Peter Reid is not the manager.
...in which case the same squad would finish around 20 places lower?

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed May 18, 2016 2:39 pm

Ok I'll try again - BWFCI no I didn't say that Reid would take us up & then back down again, how on earth do you come to that conclusion that Reid would take us up from the caveat ?

DSB - perhaps the caveat that Reid would take us down to League 2 was a bit OTT, IMO for a start he would not get us promoted and if it was Reid the team would struggle in League 1, and under Reid there would be a possibility that we could struggle and could possibly even get relegated again.

IMO Reid is the worst of any manager mentioned to date.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 18, 2016 2:46 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:Ok I'll try again - BWFCI no I didn't say that Reid would take us up & then back down again, how on earth do you come to that conclusion that Reid would take us up from the caveat ?

DSB - perhaps the caveat that Reid would take us down to League 2 was a bit OTT, IMO for a start he would not get us promoted and if it was Reid the team would struggle in League 1, and under Reid there would be a possibility that we could struggle and could possibly even get relegated again.

I suspected that, but the way you worded it was possibly open to interpretation. As it might have been you were saying we'd be promoted regardless but Reid would then bring us straight back down again.....

I think personally we are at least 3 or 4 first team players short of pushing for promotion as it stands.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed May 18, 2016 2:53 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:Ok I'll try again - BWFCI no I didn't say that Reid would take us up & then back down again, how on earth do you come to that conclusion that Reid would take us up from the caveat ?

I suspected that, but the way you worded it was possibly open to interpretation. As it might have been you were saying we'd be promoted regardless but Reid would then bring us straight back down again.....

I think personally we are at least 3 or 4 first team players short of pushing for promotion as it stands.
I agree with this, we need a striker who can score goals, a hardened battling 'hard as nails' midfield general & a commanding centre half - a bonus would be a pacy winger.

We will get these in before the new season starts....

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed May 18, 2016 2:54 pm

^^ so pretty much an entire spine, then? Should be no problem for us to resolve this. :-)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 18, 2016 2:55 pm

That's fair enough mate, it's your opinion and I defend your right to have it, even if I weren't agreeing with it. Reidy would be very far down my list but I'm beginning to suspect that the people further up it require money we don't have. I mean, being too skint to afford Rochdale's manager kinda kicks you in the crackers.

So if you're in the Anyone But Reid camp - and, again, I can understand that - to me it looks like you need the managerial equivalent of a free transfer, someone currently unemployed - Steve Cotterill? Sean O'Driscoll? There's loads of others, and more might come up in the next week or so.

And yes, we need some new recruits on the pitch, preferably down the spine, with the width possibly added by twinkling young loanees from clubs who spend more money on their PR budget than we have in our wage-pot.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed May 18, 2016 3:00 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:

That's fair enough mate, it's your opinion and I defend your right to have it, even if I weren't agreeing with it. Reidy would be very far down my list but I'm beginning to suspect that the people further up it require money we don't have. I mean, being too skint to afford Rochdale's manager kinda kicks you in the crackers.

So if you're in the Anyone But Reid camp - and, again, I can understand that - to me it looks like you need the managerial equivalent of a free transfer, someone currently unemployed - Steve Cotterill? Sean O'Driscoll? There's loads of others, and more might come up in the next week or so.

And yes, we need some new recruits on the pitch, preferably down the spine, with the width possibly added by twinkling young loanees from clubs who spend more money on their PR budget than we have in our wage-pot.
There's not just the question of compo although paying none would be a good option. We've just unloaded two players who we reckon are on the square root of diddly, there's no guarantee that we could tempt a "free" either...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 18, 2016 3:05 pm

W4E wrote:
DSB wrote:So if you're in the Anyone But Reid camp - and, again, I can understand that - to me it looks like you need the managerial equivalent of a free transfer, someone currently unemployed - Steve Cotterill? Sean O'Driscoll? There's loads of others, and more might come up in the next week or so.
There's not just the question of compo although paying none would be a good option. We've just unloaded two players who we reckon are on the square root of diddly, there's no guarantee that we could tempt a "free" either...
Of course, but even the skintest or tightest owners must realise we need a manager of some sort, and with the odd exception (Brendan Rodgers and his £100kpw gardening-leave wage!) gaffers get paid a lot less than players. Presumably Reid wouldn't do it for nowt, either, although if you pay peanuts you get monkey-heeds...

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed May 18, 2016 3:16 pm

Neil Warnock is still available, I'm lead to believe.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 18, 2016 3:22 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Neil Warnock is still available, I'm lead to believe.
PETER REID'S SUPER-WHITE ARMY
etc

(Warnock will get better offers elsewhere - or at least I f*cking hope so)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed May 18, 2016 3:23 pm

I'm AMAZED he hasn't been snapped up! :D

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed May 18, 2016 3:33 pm

I'd take him ahead of Reid any day of the week....

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 18, 2016 3:45 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Well obviously – you reckon a bladder on a stick could get us promoted and Reid would take us down... :D

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed May 18, 2016 5:17 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:
Well obviously – you reckon a bladder on a stick could get us promoted and Reid would take us down... :D
Warnock IS a bladder on a stick!

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Wed May 18, 2016 6:14 pm

Sky Sports reporting that Warnock is the favourite for the Dingles role. Maybe we could get Keith Hill as a result or is he heading up the list of prospective Forest/Charlton/Aston Villa trifecta? (Personally I think Moyes is a shoe in for the Villa role)
Pfffft.

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Wed May 18, 2016 7:11 pm

This is nothing more than a hunch but I suspect that our new owners plan to be very involved with the transfer side of things, particularly if money is tight. Should this prove to be correct, then we are probably going to go for someone who is more of a head coach than a manager in the traditional sense. This would tend to point us in the direction of someone like O'Driscoll as opposed to Warnock.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 18, 2016 7:33 pm

Or Neil McDonald, who has just become available. He knows how to take a club out of this division...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed May 18, 2016 7:48 pm

I can't see any new manager being given much free rein, to be honest.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?