Now he's gone, who's next?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who would you like to see replacing Owen Coyle?

Alan Curbishley
12%
Paolo di Canio
7%
Billy Davies
7%
Keith Hill
4%
Roy Keane
1%
Mick McCarthy
9%
Gary Neville
8%
A rising lower-league boss (eg Micky Mellon)
9%
BWFC legend (eg Hierro/Gudni/McGinlay)
8%
Someone from abroad (eg Solskjaer)
27%
Someone from within (LSL/Jiminho/Didsy/Zico)
2%
AN Other
6%

Total votes: 128

$huttgun
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Now he's gone, who's next?

Post by $huttgun » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:54 pm

can we afford to pay compensation to palace? I don't know much about this, how much would it be?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:56 pm

I'm not sure its as simple as "paying up his contract".

It will depend what clauses are in his contract.

Technically it may be that Palace can enforce his contract, and therefore can ask for whatever compensation they like.

I think given Palace's statement there are one of two things going on here...

1) Freedman is after a new contract there and it is being sorted.

2) He wants to leave and this is just the pre-amble towards that. Them showing their fans that they are "digging their heels in". Waiting on compensation. Just like Burnley did.

The Dangler
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by The Dangler » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:01 pm

Does this smell of a cheaper option than the other managers? Do you think that it was assumed that palace would let him go cheaply because he's nearly up on his contract?
Permission has been denied due to the compo package not being agreeable?

Mick must have really gone in high.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:24 pm

I think maybe money is a big factor here. The board are desperate to get back into the Premiership but won't splash the cash. Just because the 90 million that BWFC owe is not owed to the banks does not mean that Ed doesn't want it back.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:28 pm

What are you on about? Cheap option? No way is taking a manager from a club a "cheap option".

Taking one out of work, or appointing someone already at the club are the cheap options.

Paying compensation and offering a "big tempting salary" are hardly cheap options.

FFS.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:30 pm

No you're missing the point.... It's a cheap option unless we get Mourinho from Madrid for about £18m.

FWIW I'd rather us wait until December. If it's going okay then keep the current lot. Otherwise the new guy gets a window to work with.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

The Dangler
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by The Dangler » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:38 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:What are you on about? Cheap option? No way is taking a manager from a club a "cheap option".

Taking one out of work, or appointing someone already at the club are the cheap options.

Paying compensation and offering a "big tempting salary" are hardly cheap options.

FFS.
FFS.. :lol:
He's in the last stages of his contract.. And they've not offered a new un.
How much do you think say Mick wants a month?
I'd say it's a bit more than doogy..
Get yer fingers out and do some adding up you numbnuts

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:48 pm

The Dangler wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:What are you on about? Cheap option? No way is taking a manager from a club a "cheap option".

FFS.
FFS.. :lol:
He's in the last stages of his contract.. And they've not offered a new un.
How much do you think say Mick wants a month?
I'd say it's a bit more than doogy..
Get yer fingers out and do some adding up you numbnuts
I'd say you've no idea and neither do I.

But there will be no compensation for Mick. You have no idea how much compensation is required for Freedman. You have no idea whats in his contract with Palace and what they are asking for.

It may well NOT be a case of paying up the remainder of his contract. Why should it be?

I think its hard to make a case convincingly that trying to prise away a young, promising (in Palace's eyes anyhow) manager away from a club he has served for many many years as player, coach and manager, where his departure would be seen as unwelcome..........is cheaper than taking a manager out of work and looking for a way back in, OR promoting your existing staff.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:54 pm

False accounting all around. Paying some genius £30 million quid to get straight back into the Prem is probably more cost effective than paying nothing to anybody and staying in the Championship.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:59 pm

Last edited by Athers on Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Dangler
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by The Dangler » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:06 pm

To be fair we don't know what, for example, Mick would want. I'd say it's a fair assumption that others will be more expensive salary wise than the Doog.
I'm happy with Jimmy and co, and it's cheaper than anyone in a job, however if Gartside wants an outsider which it's looking like he does then get the right man and pay what is required.
I'm trying to understand why he'd gamble on the likes of DF. One of those reasons is he could be cheaper in the long run.
They haven't offered him a new contract and his is in the last stages. Don't you think that possibly would make people think he'd be cheaper than others in a job???
Last edited by The Dangler on Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:09 pm

The Dangler wrote:To be fair we don't know what, for example, Mick would want. I'd say it's a fair assumption that others will be more expensive salary wise than the Doog.
I'm happy with Jimmy and co, and it's cheaper than anyone in a job, however of Gartside wants an outsider which it's looking like he does then get the right man and pay what is required.
I'm trying to understand why he'd gamble on the likes of DF. One of those reasons is he could be cheaper in the long run.
Far more likely is because they are looking for a young manager, as was their strategy last time.

Perhaps Eddie wants to invest in a younger up and coming manager rather than someone who will likely take the club so far, but then struggle.

Maybe, after a 2 week selection process, Freedman is the best choice in their opinion?

Lets be fair immediately after Coyle went there were noises that we were looking for "another young manager".

I honestly can't see him being cheaper than Mick. Perhaps Mick wanted his own staff, but thats a separate issue.

We clearly need to have Lee involved with the first team, given his experience.

Kirby
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Kirby » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:45 pm

Another Palace fan here.

In response to those slagging off our forum: Like all messageboards, there are a minority who are short of the odd brain cell and instantly direct abuse at other clubs as a means of protecting their own. A lot of others are just plain misinformed.

Most fans however accept that Bolton have a nice stadium, good facilities and a decent squad and would be an attractive proposition to any manager.

Saying that, we're currently 2 points off top spot, with a strong squad and two of the brightest young prospects in the league. DF has the backing of the board and the adulation of all Palace fans. Moving to a team below us and starting again wouldn't seem to make a great deal of sense, but football's a funny old game.

I'm confident that CPFC2010 are drawing up an attractive contract offer as we speak (if they haven't already) and Freedman will sign it by the end of the week.

As for Dougie as a manager, it's been a mixed bag, but he finally seems to have found the right formula. Whilst we played negative football last season, on the whole it's been a lot more positive this year and it shows with some of our scorelines. We do rely heavily on Zaha, but the partnership of Dikgacoi and Jedinak (both Freedman signings) in the middle cannot be underestimated. He also brought in Glenn Murray on a free, who is currently third top scorer in the league.

Oh, and he prefers to be called "Duggie".

Ta-ra for now duckies :negative:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:19 pm

FWIW Neil Ashton (Daily Mail *spit* Journalist) on twitter seems to think Freedman is on his way to us.

I believe he's quite well connected at Palace.

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:26 pm

I'd feel a bit sorry for Palace if Freedman came to us. From all accounts, he's a club legend and they aren't doing badly at all right now. It's a shame that people in football are mercenaries, especially when they get as much affection as Freedman has had at Palace. It's not even like Coyle leaving Burnley for us either, because he was leaving a club where he was liked to join a club where he was loved. The Bolton fans don't have any opinion on Freedman and if they do, it's not a highly positive one.

If he does come here and things work out, great. However, it's still wrong. It doesn't say much about Freedman's character either, and assuming he joined us and we got promoted, when a bigger club comes calling, he'd leave us too.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:31 pm

What' s the legal position here, seeing as Palace have not granted permission to speak to Freedman? Isn't that the end of it?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Whookam
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Whookam » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:33 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:What' s the legal position here, seeing as Palace have not granted permission to speak to Freedman? Isn't that the end of it?
No, we could just speak to him anyway and the compensation issue gets dragged through the courts.

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:35 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:What' s the legal position here, seeing as Palace have not granted permission to speak to Freedman? Isn't that the end of it?
Unless he starts getting stroppy saying he wants to speak to us... could make there lives very difficult... then we make another approach with a what if he says yes we give you £x and don't sign any of your players in December.... blah blah blah
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:40 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:I'd feel a bit sorry for Palace if Freedman came to us. From all accounts, he's a club legend and they aren't doing badly at all right now. It's a shame that people in football are mercenaries, especially when they get as much affection as Freedman has had at Palace. It's not even like Coyle leaving Burnley for us either, because he was leaving a club where he was liked to join a club where he was loved. The Bolton fans don't have any opinion on Freedman and if they do, it's not a highly positive one.

If he does come here and things work out, great. However, it's still wrong. It doesn't say much about Freedman's character either, and assuming he joined us and we got promoted, when a bigger club comes calling, he'd leave us too.
I think thats a really simplistic account.

What if (as reported) we are offering a massive salary (relatively) and greater spending power. He may at a very basic level see it as a way to set his family up for life. I doubt he's minted or close to it. Perhaps he wants his kids to have a future and feels that it could go wrong at Palace at any point and he get sacked and be on the scrap heap?

I think the loyalty vs money argument is far too simplistic.

Otherwise no manager would ever leave a club they've done well at or would all be "disloyal".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:41 pm

Kirby wrote:
Ta-ra for now duckies :negative:

y'see - you were doing quite well... but then you had to go and spoil it all!! :wink: