Freedman out!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Freedman out!

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:55 pm

Only rule of football that matters: Kick ball in net. Sorted.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:02 pm

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:Who else did he target? What other positions did we try to strengthen?
He didn't say. But I'm sure he said, after we signed the full-backs and kids, that he wanted four more. Was it at the forum?
I'm not sure, mate, I thought Freedman made a few comments before the start of the season that after Spearing (I think), he was happy with the squad and wouldn't be bringing anyone else in unless Dawson became available. I know Nixon confirmed that Freedman was only after Dawson, though it was a long shot.
If you are using Nixon as a source then that is definitely incorrect. He was banging on from end July onwards about how Dougie was frustrated that he couldn't bring in the players he wanted and that DF felt the squad was short,

Dougie himself on one of those twitter q&a's said he wanted 4 more, but we only got Spearing after that.
no - we got spearing, danns, McNaughton, Feeney = 4

job done.
Ha. Well yes though he was talking about during the summer window.

Big difference having a proper choice then but having to take what you're given now.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:09 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote: Ha. Well yes though he was talking about during the summer window.

Big difference having a proper choice then but having to take what you're given now.

Really!

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:39 pm

The fact that he didn't get every single player he wanted is not cause to say he wasn't happy with his squad, or that his hands were tied in the transfer window. We signed six first team players over the summer, how many club's have signed more than that?

I'm sure he'd have wanted more, I'm sure he'd have wanted Messi, but I can't believe people are still trying to put forward the myth that Dougie was hard done to in the transfer market.

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:44 pm

Big difference having a proper choice then but having to take what you're given now.[/quote]

I've previously said I thought you were Dougie in disguise, but I suspect even he would embarassed by the hard done to line you present on his behalf. The guy has had a pretty good gig in comparison with a lot of fellow champ'ship managers.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:56 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

was he though - or did he just say "the window"?

and that's not what dougie is saying - he's saying these are the players he WANTS and rates - and to show that - he put them all pretty much straight in the team...

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:06 pm

I think he rates them as people rather than footballing talents. Says a lot about the character and determination of the ones on the bench really that he has to sign people he's basically admitted have less ability to gee them up.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:13 pm

LeverEnd wrote:I think he rates them as people rather than footballing talents. Says a lot about the character and determination of the ones on the bench really that he has to sign people he's basically admitted have less ability to gee them up.
nahhh - i think he's gone out to look for people who are unscarred by the downer that seems to have infected the club - people (as he says) who have summat to prove... i think he hopes some of that will rub off on the players - and so he might not need for them for the long haul...

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:17 pm

thebish wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:I think he rates them as people rather than footballing talents. Says a lot about the character and determination of the ones on the bench really that he has to sign people he's basically admitted have less ability to gee them up.
nahhh - i think he's gone out to look for people who are unscarred by the downer that seems to have infected the club - people (as he says) who have summat to prove... i think he hopes some of that will rub off on the players - and so he might not need for them for the long haul...
I agree. but still think it's a poor reflection on the senior players. And on Dougie really, though I do hope this last throw of the dice pays off for him.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:50 pm

Interestingly, the same people who are now saying the players are to blame, are the same people who argued the opposite when Coyle was in charge.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:56 pm

Ah, but the ones who are saying that the ones who are now saying the players are to blame are the ones who argued the opposite when Coyle was in charge are the ones who are saying that Freedman has brought his own players in. So it's different players. They could be to blame now, but Coyle's weren't.

8)
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:59 pm

Again, that's interesting.

I'll throw in 5 points from 10 games.

Coyle's never done that.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:15 pm

No, but Sammy Lee did! Wait...

I've always been one for patience. My mind was made up about Coyle after the Villa game which IIRC was just before Christmas. By then we'd had pretty much five solid (football, so skipping summer) months, from the Semi onwards. He probably got a bit longer because the good run we had had been so good. And we'll always had Birmingham. By the end it was shit, we'd been relegated, we were still rubbish, and he kept picking mental teams.

It hadn't been truly shit under Freedman until the start of this season. Then almost two months of wank before a pick up the last couple of weeks. He doesn't get unlimited time from me, but I think there's sense to the team's he's picking still, and we seem to be getting better (he says, with 0 wins on the board). I think there's a good manager in there, and I'd rather try to give him time than chance out arm on the merry-go-round again. If come the New Year, either things don't look like picking up, or we're stuck in a relegation battle, it might be time to change.

I do get folk who think he's shit though. We're all talking about our massive improvement because we got a point at home to Yeovil and actually kept a clean-sheet away. Hooray.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:14 pm

Remind me about this pick up in the last couple of weeks, I seem to have missed it.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:33 pm

That's because you've got your head in the sand and refuse to accept the Freedman revolution.

ABC.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:28 pm

Bitter much you two :D?

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:36 pm

Someone stick my name down on the bitter much list too. Ta.

Anyhoo. Here's a little treat to cheer you up...
• Bolton have taken seven points from a possible 36 since beating Middlesbrough on 20 April.
Businesswoman of the year.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:40 pm

Don't miss me out too. I'm bitter much all the fxckin time.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:47 am

Wandering Willy wrote:Interestingly, the same people who are now saying the players are to blame, are the same people who argued the opposite when Coyle was in charge.
Could you precede that with "some of the same people". For me, buck stops with the Manager.

In a one off game you could point to something like Bogdan's howler last week, over time, then it has to be at the Manager's door.

So interestingly, you're not entirely correct. :-)

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:51 pm

Seems the executioner is indisposed