Now he's gone, who's next?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who would you like to see replacing Owen Coyle?

Alan Curbishley
12%
Paolo di Canio
7%
Billy Davies
7%
Keith Hill
4%
Roy Keane
1%
Mick McCarthy
9%
Gary Neville
8%
A rising lower-league boss (eg Micky Mellon)
9%
BWFC legend (eg Hierro/Gudni/McGinlay)
8%
Someone from abroad (eg Solskjaer)
27%
Someone from within (LSL/Jiminho/Didsy/Zico)
2%
AN Other
6%

Total votes: 128

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Now he's gone, who's next?

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:24 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:Not inspired by Freedman, personally.
I wouldnt disagrer; but then i think its the market we are in now.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:35 pm

I was a kid when we signed Big Sam so did't really know anything about him

So to be honest none of the managers we've had since have inspired me

So i'll judge DF (if we get him) once he's had a fair crack of the whip

There's no manager that we could realistically get that will guarantee promotion

There all gambles
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Kirby
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Kirby » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:44 pm

IggyTheDawgster wrote:I have a feeling this is about Zaha somehow.
:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

Didn't realise you guys had a spare £12m. Fair play.

As for Dougie, it doesn't look great but the longer it drags on the more I'll expect him to stay. No news is good news and all that... :|

And I think the point the poster on our forum was making (re: Kevin Davies, Petrov etc.) was that he has some of the best young talent in the league here, whereas the aforementioned players are nearing the end of their careers.

There's no doubt Bolton have a strong squad, but I'm not sure how DF would cope with older players and bigger egos.
Last edited by Kirby on Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

as
Reliable
Reliable

Post by as » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:47 pm

Kirby wrote:

True, he'll end up on Tottenham's subs bench for 5 years instead.

Anyway, cheers for the manager, and how does it feel to be in Brighton's shadow?
Troll and proud of it.

Kirby
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Kirby » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:49 pm

as wrote:
Kirby wrote:

Anyway, cheers for the manager, and how does it feel to be in Brighton's shadow?
Meow :box:

You're probably right about where he'll end up, but at least we won't be ripped off this time.

As for being in Brighton's shadow, I suggest you check the league table. Try and find the last time they beat us while you're there :wink:

as
Reliable
Reliable

Post by as » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:56 pm

Kirby wrote:
as wrote:
Kirby wrote:

Meow :box:

You're probably right about where he'll end up, but at least we won't be ripped off this time.

As for being in Brighton's shadow, I suggest you check the league table. Try and find the last time they beat us while you're there :wink:
You're no fun - I was banking on you being an angry bar-steward.

Oh - two word - Simon Jordan :lol:
Troll and proud of it.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:04 pm

At the end of the day if freedman comes in everyone has to get behind him.It's a bold move but as someone says above no new manager would not be a gamble and I'm pretty sure if it was someone else there's be plenty folk saying how uninspiring it was.
On the upside freedman appears able to listen to others(Len Lawrence),can spot decent talent and seemingly has turned a struggling team at palace into something greater than the sum of it's parts. He's an intelligent bloke,or certainly comes across well in interviews.
I was concerned by palace's defensive record as someone highlighted yesterday but we dont know whether that is down to organisation or the limits he has to work with at palace.
A palace fan yesterday suggestged they get McCarthy in to which a number replied he would be the anti freedman. In other words young and progressive. I dont get the impression from what little I've been able to find out that he is the next Owen Coyle. Far from it, he has a plan and uses the best system he has for what he has available.
None of the managers available would have got us excited, he will overall have a better squad here and possibly a little more spending money and I get the impression rather than trying to make some radical noisy revolution he will make the best of what is already in place. If he does that we'll do pretty well.
Crucially his name also has the necessary syllables for the superwhite army chant and personally I've missed hearing that chant over the last 18 months. :D

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:10 pm

palace lot taking it as bad as burnley did. bless em. :cry:

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:21 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:I feel for Palace though. They're a good club who I consider to be pretty much on a par with us, so easy to see why their fans would be upset.
On a par with us? In what way?

hi there, i'm chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by hi there, i'm chris » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:28 pm

BL3 wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:I feel for Palace though. They're a good club who I consider to be pretty much on a par with us, so easy to see why their fans would be upset.
I assumed he meant alphabetically.
http://www.twitter.com/chrisbradish" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:29 pm

I don't know if he's any good but just from my gut I'd much rather have a Dougie than a Souness or McCarthy.

A win and positive news on the manager front... what's going on?
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:30 pm

BL3 wrote:
I could be wrong but arent palace a team that generally have been around championship level with a few not too distant years in the top division with crowds not dissimilar to ours according to how successful they are at the time. In terms of recent history we have been a bigger more successful club but long term we're not that far apart.
Besides i thought we liked to moan about the fans of clubs like massive city etc when they get all big and bold about the size of their clubs.

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:36 pm

Ianmooreslovechild wrote:
BL3 wrote:
I could be wrong but arent palace a team that generally have been around championship level with a few not too distant years in the top division with crowds not dissimilar to ours according to how successful they are at the time. In terms of recent history we have been a bigger more successful club but long term we're not that far apart.
Besides i thought we liked to moan about the fans of clubs like massive city etc when they get all big and bold about the size of their clubs.
We're a club with a Premier League training set-up and stadium, not to mention parachute payments and arguably a better squad. That's all that matters to prospective managers. The rest is just bollocks but in terms of our 'long term' history there is no comparison. We are a miles bigger club.

Kirby
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Kirby » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:38 pm

Bolton have had far more recent success (being able to stay in the Premier League for longer than one season beats us!) but on the whole I don't think we're poles apart. We do have similar crowds and similar sized stadia (granted yours is a bit more flash).

I don't think the Freedman move suits either party. He's loved here and has job security. We also have wealthy owners willing to back the manager. He'll be taking a big risk career wise if he jumps ship. He'll also lose his legend status. Unless you're offering him a fortune the whole move seems a bit odd.

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:43 pm

Kirby wrote:Bolton have had far more recent success (being able to stay in the Premier League for longer than one season beats us!) but on the whole I don't think we're poles apart. We do have similar crowds and similar sized stadia (granted yours is a bit more flash).
Forget about crowds. Managers don't give a shit about stuff like that. They're more likely to be interested in things like transfer budget and what the training ground is like since that's were they'll be spending most of their time.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:47 pm

Kirby wrote:Bolton have had far more recent success (being able to stay in the Premier League for longer than one season beats us!) but on the whole I don't think we're poles apart. We do have similar crowds and similar sized stadia (granted yours is a bit more flash).

I don't think the Freedman move suits either party. He's loved here and has job security. We also have wealthy owners willing to back the manager. He'll be taking a big risk career wise if he jumps ship. He'll also lose his legend status. Unless you're offering him a fortune the whole move seems a bit odd.

Size ain't everything it's how you use it :wink:

What sort of football does he like to play mate
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:49 pm

Well, he's not Souness, so I guess I'm OK with this.

football247
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by football247 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:01 pm

plymouth wanderer wrote:

Size ain't everything it's how you use it :wink:

What sort of football does he like to play mate

For the last 2 seasons to be honest its been pretty turgid stuff for us at palace, he's played a 451, we were really hard to beat but it was awfull to watch, the last half of the season we were woeful and only won 3 games, very rare for us to score more than 1 goal.

This season, we had an awful start and were bottom after 3 games, fans were calling for his head but since then we had a tremendous run probably more down to zaha than the manager, the lad has just been unplayable we still play 451 but seem a bit more attacking.

To be honest as ive said before apart from this run weve been medicore, I really dont understand your interest.

It seems from reading from people in the know that the palace owners havent offered Dougie a new contract (probably not 100% convinced about him) so thats why he wants to speak to Bolton.

I just think Its a big cock up all round, from Bolton to going after him, our owners for not offering him a contract sooner and for Dougie to leave his fans for a tough job, I foresee him being sacked in a year.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:03 pm

If he plays 4-5-1 he's got a chance here.....

IF he does join us, a tip for you Palace fans, I'll even give it for free..........are you ready?

Owen Coyle hasn't got a clue

football247
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by football247 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:10 pm

I think we at palace may end up with McCarthy