..so as no-one else has; next home game;

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Re: ..so as no-one else has; next home game;

Post by clapton is god » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:32 am

Harry Genshaw wrote: Oh and a question for the refs on here. The Knight backpass that produced the wonder save from Lonergan - shouldn't it have been a free kick to them since he touched it with his hand?
It has to be a deliberate and intentional backpass and I don't think anyone in their right mind would deem Knight did that deliberately (except about 17,000 Bolton fans who knew damn well he did). It was the only decent shot on target from either team in that whole dire first half.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:10 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Butterfields first start in a year, might explain why he was off the pace.
Oh well, that's alright then.

An old mate of Dougie and Lennie from his Palace days isn't he? I'm getting the woooooooooords....................... Robbie Blake!
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:14 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

An old mate of Dougie and Lennie from his Palace days isn't he? I'm getting the woooooooooords....................... Robbie Blake!
He played with Dougie, but I don't think he has any connection to Lennie Lawrence (as Dougie did not until he started managing).

And lets play devils advocate here, who would we have played at right back last night, given Ricketts was suspended, if we hadn't got Butterfield in as cover?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:19 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

He played with Dougie, but I don't think he has any connection to Lennie Lawrence (as Dougie did not until he started managing).

And lets play devils advocate here, who would we have played at right back last night, given Ricketts was suspended, if we hadn't got Butterfield in as cover?
Let's not play devil's advocate, no. He was our only choice to play there last night, of course. The more pertinent question remains, however - is he the best that we could do in the loan market? Because, given his shambolic performance last night, it's a fecking poor do if he is!
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:24 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Let's not play devil's advocate, no. He was our only choice to play there last night, of course. The more pertinent question remains, however - is he the best that we could do in the loan market? Because, given his shambolic performance last night, it's a fecking poor do if he is!
He was brought in as cover for the last 7 or 8 games. I suspect that there weren't many other options for such a role, given how tight the loan market appeared to be at the end.

I'm not convinced many players would have done better being thrown into action for the first time in 12 months.

Anyhow, who was the last really decent right back we had? It's been a problem position for a while.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:30 am

Candela.

... & preferred to live in Rome, with his super-model wife. W@nker.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:38 am

bobo the clown wrote:Candela.

He was a left back.....

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:29 am

Brighton V Leicester this weekend is a huge game this weekend,

is that this weekend then?

89bwfc89
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by 89bwfc89 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:31 am

I stood for Sordell when he was replaced simply because of the effort he put in for the goal. He's clearly the kind of player who needs his ego boosting and a standing ovation will have done just that.

Oh and the pass from Spearing to Eagles before THAT N'Gog miss was sublime!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:38 am

Sordell worked hard last night. He's clearly being coached in how to run the channels and work the defenders. First time I've seen him come close to being a striker we could consider starting week in week out.

His workrate impressed me. I think that's why he got a standing ovation. There are still big gaps in his game. His touch is poor, and he is wasteful in possession at times, and his decision making needs to improve.

However, if he works like that every game, that'll be a massive start.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:55 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Sordell worked hard last night. He's clearly being coached in how to run the channels and work the defenders. First time I've seen him come close to being a striker we could consider starting week in week out.
given you think we struggled with the system last night - and 4-4-2 was a mistake (Dougie's?) - would you play sordell up front on his own then?

also - why has Dawson stopped scoring! i was hoping for one a game for the rest of the season!!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:05 am

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Sordell worked hard last night. He's clearly being coached in how to run the channels and work the defenders. First time I've seen him come close to being a striker we could consider starting week in week out.
given you think we struggled with the system last night - and 4-4-2 was a mistake (Dougie's?) - would you play sordell up front on his own then?

also - why has Dawson stopped scoring! i was hoping for one a game for the rest of the season!!
I'm not sure it was a "mistake", we've not got much to lose now, and he'd be hammered for going 1 up top against Hudds at home if we didn't win.

I just think, way we played it left us very open at times. It's not so much the two up but more the two wingers that at times left us struggling in midfield. And Pratley didn't have one of his better games, and seemed a little off the pace which didn't help.

I think personally if we play 2 up we look better with a narrower midfield with just one of LCY or Eagles. But equally we're having to win games now, so I guess not much point in being too cautious at his stage.

I'm interested in what sort of a system Dougie will prepare for next season. Or indeed if we will continue to vary it. Sordell may be ok up on his own (He played there for Watford afterall) IF we keep the ball better and work it through midfield more. Fairly big IF though. Hopefully he can continue to improve. I'd not be surprised if he went in the summer though. Same with NGog. Be interesting to see what Dougie's plans involve.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:07 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:

I'm not sure it was a "mistake", we've not got much to lose now, and he'd be hammered for going 1 up top against Hudds at home if we didn't win.

I just think, way we played it left us very open at times. It's not so much the two up but more the two wingers that at times left us struggling in midfield. And Pratley didn't have one of his better games, and seemed a little off the pace which didn't help.

I think personally if we play 2 up we look better with a narrower midfield with just one of LCY or Eagles. But equally we're having to win games now, so I guess not much point in being too cautious at his stage.

I'm interested in what sort of a system Dougie will prepare for next season. Or indeed if we will continue to vary it. Sordell may be ok up on his own (He played there for Watford afterall) IF we keep the ball better and work it through midfield more. Fairly big IF though. Hopefully he can continue to improve. I'd not be surprised if he went in the summer though. Same with NGog. Be interesting to see what Dougie's plans involve.
surely given the training we are doing and stuff - we should be comfortable with the system we are playing - no?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:30 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
boltonboris wrote:Butterfield had a stinker. They switched Pratley and Spearing over in the second half so Jay could cover him a bit bette than (the back to his useless self) Pratley

Ngog looked like he'd never seen a football for the majority of that game. He could've been playing with a bean bag last night and he still wouldn't have trapped it.

We were too deep again though. It's frustrating me as we've got the ability and should have the confidence to make games like that comfortable.

This too deep thing is getting tedious. We were massively stretched at times. That is most certainly not because we were too deep.

In fact we looked a better side when we went one up front as we finally got control of a game we'd not really been in control of all night as our midfield had not been strong enough to do so.
The fact that Pratley and Spearing were too deep was the reason we were getting stretched
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:33 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
boltonboris wrote:Butterfield had a stinker. They switched Pratley and Spearing over in the second half so Jay could cover him a bit bette than (the back to his useless self) Pratley

Ngog looked like he'd never seen a football for the majority of that game. He could've been playing with a bean bag last night and he still wouldn't have trapped it.

We were too deep again though. It's frustrating me as we've got the ability and should have the confidence to make games like that comfortable.

This too deep thing is getting tedious. We were massively stretched at times. That is most certainly not because we were too deep.

In fact we looked a better side when we went one up front as we finally got control of a game we'd not really been in control of all night as our midfield had not been strong enough to do so.
The fact that Spearing was screaming at Ngog all night for not tackling their midfielders 30 yards from our own goal suggests to me, that were playing fvckin deep. Eagles and Lee were playing higher up the pitch than both of the centre mids and not filling in, which was a reason we were stretched. All their play came down the flanks before working it inside
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:00 pm

boltonboris wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

The fact that Spearing was screaming at Ngog all night for not tackling their midfielders 30 yards from our own goal suggests to me, that were playing fvckin deep. Eagles and Lee were playing higher up the pitch than both of the centre mids and not filling in, which was a reason we were stretched. All their play came down the flanks before working it inside
Second half for example there were two possibly three occasions where we got caught with 5/6 players ahead of the ball.

I know what you're getting at, but I think if anything the two wingers left us exposed in midfield and Pratley was either tired or just having an off day and it meant we really struggled to press the ball.

Having said that, Huddersfield, defensive blunders from Zat aside, only threatened us from set pieces really.........

wanderers_on_tour
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by wanderers_on_tour » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:30 pm

Just some quick thoughts on last nights game (and on the season as a whole really)

Jay Spearing is class. Between him and Eagles for man of the match last night and probably for player of the season. Whilst the former is more consistent the latter has some moments of brilliance. One of the best first touches i've seen on a Wanderers player for quite some time (probably) and took his goal well.

Ngog and Sordell is a viable front two...if only one of them can just find the net! Both work well together and complement each others style. Ngog's attempt in the first half made me laugh it was such a feck up but in the second half he continued to make something out of nothing and could have had a couple if it wasn't for the keepers form and if Chungy's delivery was a bit more on point. Impressed by Sordell's harrying of the ball and even though there was a clear chance early in the second half for the counter (he'd done the hard work picking it up from outside our area and taking it beyond a few up past half way) I can understand why he chose to try take it on his own, again more frustrating then owt to get too enraged about.

And Medo looks set to have all the makings of a 'cult' (note; not 'legend' or anything of the sorts) player for the whites. Biggest pop of the evening apart from the goal came from his play. Notably when he won the ball in our half and proceeded to visibly fight off a few Huddersfield challengers and sweep the ball forward to the attacking players. Crowd seem to love him and he seems to be good for the atmosphere, reminded me of when SKD would put in a few tough tackles at the start of games.

Anyway, dire first half, solid second. We need to be more clinical sure and always seem to be a goalscorer away from greatness.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:14 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:Candela.

He was a left back.....
Really ?!

Glad he fckd off then !
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:15 am

clapton is god wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote: Oh and a question for the refs on here. The Knight backpass that produced the wonder save from Lonergan - shouldn't it have been a free kick to them since he touched it with his hand?
It has to be a deliberate and intentional backpass and I don't think anyone in their right mind would deem Knight did that deliberately (except about 17,000 Bolton fans who knew damn well he did). It was the only decent shot on target from either team in that whole dire first half.
It was deliberate alright, and totally and utterly stupid and shite. I also wondered why it wasn't penalised as a back-pass but I think the view above is right and the ref didn't realise how poor Zat can be.

Unlike a home game a few weeks back where Ngog was going clean through and the ref blew up for a foul further back. I concluded that the ref thought putting Ngog through on goal was not an advantage, and on last night's evidence I can see why. I'm a defender of Ngog's on the whole but he had a very poor game last night and Sordell (who im not keen on generally) did OK. You can excuse a poor strike rate for a forward who plays with back to goal a lot and brings others in but you can't excuse that miss last night.

I still can't believe that such a piss-poor performance got a win. We've been very lucky in recent home games but none more so than last night. On the plus side I thought eagles lookjed class and Spearing and Medo both made a difference.

Butterfield looked dodgy and out of shape but stuck at it and always looked up for it. He's only been brought in because Riley and Mears are out of action and just as well as Ricketts got sent off. He'll go back to being unused sub for the rest of the season I expect, and I don't think it was ever Dougie's intention to bring him in for anything other than an emergency. Good job Ricketts only has a 1 match ban.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:06 am

Bruce Rioja wrote: Oh well, that's alright then.

its a lot less shamelessly nepotistic than that coz he's a southampton player.

and he's probably never even touched a pingpong paddle.