Coyle vs Megson

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Coyle vs Megson

Post by a1 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:02 pm

we'dve had to win the next x (think it were 3) games in the uefa cup to win it. thats like saying allardyce threw our chance to win it by sending sammy lee out to work his magic in the velodrome on purpose.

as
Reliable
Reliable

Post by as » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:48 pm

coffeymagic wrote:Coyle might have been out of his depth but Megson was pure evil.

He came to this club thinking that we were shit and he was great. While the league table showed that he might have had a point on the former his management record quite clearly showed that he was wildly off the mark with the latter.

He constantly bemoaned the fact that the fans 'nave gave (him) a chance' and that our ambitions were unrealistic for a club of our size (despite what SA had acheived) and almost cultivated an air of defeat around the club in 24hrs.

Writing off games before a ball's been kicked may be seen as realism or pragmatism but he seemed to set a target no higher than 0-0. If we lost he'd shrug his shoulders if we won he'd go on MotD like a dancing gnome rejoicing in a 'I told you so' fashion.

He WAS given a chance to be good. We want our team to do well. Who in their right mind wants to be fighting relegation year-on-year?

'Bolton aren't Real Madrid' he said. That's right Gary we're not and we never will be but neither were we Northampton Town so stop talking bollocks and get going.

I've not read the full thread above but I'm sure Rasziak and the UEFA/Wigan farago has come up several times.

For the first time in this clubs existence we had a chance of some European silverware (Lancs-Manx apart) and he blew it. Deliberatley. Can you imagine that? Threw away something we could have put in the trophy cabinet and in the honours column for ever just so we could lose at New Springfield Park.

For that alone he should have been railroaded out of the county.

He'll come back. Football chairman have short/bad/no memories and someone will give him a job soon.

Prove us wrong Gary.

Prove us wrong.

Coyle on the other hand? Just couldn't hack it.
I'd wiped that Wigan game from my mind - thanks for that.

Megson kept us up after Ali decided to play 'Superman' in goal for the last few games, we'd have stayed up last season with a better keeper.
Troll and proud of it.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:51 pm

coffeymagic wrote:For the first time in this clubs existence we had a chance of some European silverware (Lancs-Manx apart) and he blew it. Deliberatley. Can you imagine that? Threw away something we could have put in the trophy cabinet and in the honours column for ever just so we could lose at New Springfield Park.
At the time, rotating in Europe was the right thing to do. It served us well in Belgrade and Munich, but not in Lisbon. But we stayed up, and the game being what it is these days, that was the priority (the result in the next game cannot be the only way of measuring whether it was the right decision to take at the time).
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:57 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
coffeymagic wrote:For the first time in this clubs existence we had a chance of some European silverware (Lancs-Manx apart) and he blew it. Deliberatley. Can you imagine that? Threw away something we could have put in the trophy cabinet and in the honours column for ever just so we could lose at New Springfield Park.
At the time, rotating in Europe was the right thing to do. It served us well in Belgrade and Munich, but not in Lisbon. But we stayed up, and the game being what it is these days, that was the priority (the result in the next game cannot be the only way of measuring whether it was the right decision to take at the time).
Indeed not. There's public relations to consider, too... :wink:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:08 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
Yep. The "Chucking away a European trophy chance" is absolutely nonsensical.

Firstly we'd rotated in Europe all season. We didn't play our strongest team in Munich, nor Belgrade (where anything other than the first ever British win away there, would have meant exit from the competition).

Getting so far was a bonus, but as our top flight status was in serious threat the policy of rotation that had been suspended for the Atletico Madrid game, had to be re-instated. After winning in Madrid we got thumped at Blackburn.

The squad was stretched the priority was league status (set out by Eddie Davies as is his right) and the retention of the tens of millions of pounds of TV money.

It of course was the right and only thing to do. Anything else would have been irresponsible management and risked the long term future of the club for a possible, but unlikely short term gain.

Fans can get as misty eyed as they want about the shot of a trophy, of a glory day out, of tales for the grandkids. They can not like the situation. But what they shouldn't do is criticise the Bolton Wanderers management and ownership at the time for living in the actual and very real world. I'm 100% sure that Megson and Gartside and Eddie Davies would have rather risked it all and gone on to try and win the UEFA cup. But because they're actually running a business to keep it going and because they ultimately are dealing in real world balance sheets, targets and objectives, and not in dreams and hopes (as much as everyone may not like it, that IS the situation) they had to do the responsible thing.

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:13 pm

I'm not saying we would have won it. We almost certainly wouldn't but Megson deliberatley went out to jeopardise our chances. If I didn't know better I'd think he would have been gutted after the 2-2 in Munich looking at the team he sent out.

I think it was more likely an 'eff-you megson' team spirit that galvanised the players for those last few games into a team because from what I can remember they played totally different in those to anything we'd seen previously.

I don't expect Bolton to win every game, Jesus Christ how could I? But what I do expect is them to try in every game, very rarely can I accuse players of not trying but Megson's idea of 'success' was 'mediocrity in everything'.

If you told me he was dead I wouldn't even blink.
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:19 pm

coffeymagic wrote:I'm not saying we would have won it. We almost certainly wouldn't but Megson deliberatley went out to jeopardise our chances. If I didn't know better I'd think he would have been gutted after the 2-2 in Munich looking at the team he sent out.

I think it was more likely an 'eff-you megson' team spirit that galvanised the players for those last few games into a team because from what I can remember they played totally different in those to anything we'd seen previously.

I don't expect Bolton to win every game, Jesus Christ how could I? But what I do expect is them to try in every game, very rarely can I accuse players of not trying but Megson's idea of 'success' was 'mediocrity in everything'.

If you told me he was dead I wouldn't even blink.
People accuse me of hyperbole?

Oh dear........

It's this kind of mixed up thinking that causes the nonsense we have now where players are booed coming on to ensure an 8th straight home win. Exactly this sort of nonsense that creates that.

Megson did what he was asked to do that season. His only objective was to keep us in the premiership. The selection was no more an "eff you" to the fans than Sam Allardyce's was picking 7 or 8 reserves in Plovdiv. It was what he was being paid to fecking do.

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:30 pm

In what way does me reiterating my almost pathalogical hatred for Megson have anything to do with what's going on now?

Football fans are allowed to be illogical, if we weren't we'd all support Man United and only watch when RVP had the ball.

You will NEVER convince me that anything Megson 'achieved' was by anything other than luck. And by 'anything' I'm including swimming certificates, driving test results and cutting his grass.

The man was wrong for the club, had a bad attitude, hated the fans and the day he fecked off was one of the happiest days in my life and I include in that the kids being born and us getting the artifical grass put down (the current leader).

If you'd also like to start threads on SGE, David Beckham, Soap Operas and dog owners I will be pleased to offer you my one sided opinions on those.

I said good day sir!
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:34 pm

coffeymagic wrote:In what way does me reiterating my almost pathalogical hatred for Megson have anything to do with what's going on now?

Football fans are allowed to be illogical, if we weren't we'd all support Man United and only watch when RVP had the ball.

You will NEVER convince me that anything Megson 'achieved' was by anything other than luck. And by 'anything' I'm including swimming certificates, driving test results and cutting his grass.

The man was wrong for the club, had a bad attitude, hated the fans and the day he fecked off was one of the happiest days in my life and I include in that the kids being born and us getting the artifical grass put down (the current leader).

If you'd also like to start threads on SGE, David Beckham, Soap Operas and dog owners I will be pleased to offer you my one sided opinions on those.

I said good day sir!
I was not trying to do anything of the sort.

Merely explaining why every decision, in particular the Lisbon one, was not a way to annoy or get at you, but merely one taken because he was in a tough position at the time and had to make a call based on the priorities he was working to.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:41 pm

coffeymagic wrote: us getting the artifical grass put down (the current leader).

uh-oh. I have a nasty feeling about this. Thread about to be launched...
it's here > viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24601
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:55 pm

Coyle is a better manager than Megson is and in time, I think Coyle will improve and find a decent job for himself. He's been a success elsewhere throughout his career and despite all the negativity at the end with Bolton, I think he'd have ept us up with a little more luck. That doesn't excuse his failings as a manage though.

Throughout their managerial careers, Coyle has a higher win percentage, 41% to 34%. As Bolton managers, Coyle won 33% and Megson won 27%. Megson also inherited a better team and had more money to spend.

For me, there's no question. If I had to have either back next year, I'd go for Coyle.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:17 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:Coyle is a better manager than Megson is and in time, I think Coyle will improve and find a decent job for himself. He's been a success elsewhere throughout his career and despite all the negativity at the end with Bolton, I think he'd have ept us up with a little more luck. That doesn't excuse his failings as a manage though.

Throughout their managerial careers, Coyle has a higher win percentage, 41% to 34%. As Bolton managers, Coyle won 33% and Megson won 27%. Megson also inherited a better team and had more money to spend.

For me, there's no question. If I had to have either back next year, I'd go for Coyle.
I stopped reading this after the first 7 words
Businesswoman of the year.

Whookam
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Whookam » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:37 pm

I'd take Megson any day of the week.

I didn't say where to though...

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:42 pm

I might not have read every single post in this thread... someone must have mentioned having them both together. Sum greater than the sum of the parts. Coyle can be in charge of ping pong and scoring goals, Megson can be in charge of everything else other than the training ground which would obviously go to LSL. No other backroom staff needed!
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:17 pm

coffeymagic wrote:In what way does me reiterating my almost pathalogical hatred for Megson have anything to do with what's going on now?

I said good day sir!
You've just stolen jaffka's genius crown.

Jaffka, you are relegated to nearly man. Sorry.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:28 pm

RVP? fckin fanboy.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:30 pm

OGS?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:32 pm

Exactly. Where will it end? Before you know it we'll be allowing yer Giggsys and yer Scholseys and yer Fergies on here too.
Slippery slope I'm telling you.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:33 pm

I'll just stick with DMB's...

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:03 am

Lord Kangana wrote:

I said good day sir!
You've just stolen jaffka's genius crown.

Jaffka, you are relegated to nearly man. Sorry.
oh well, feck it, I like being the grey man