Who ate all the pies?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Who ate all the pies?

Post by Prufrock » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:52 pm

Love the desire from Craig Davies to get into the box for his goal.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:53 pm

Prufrock wrote:Love the desire from Craig Davies to get into the box for his goal.
I wonder if Jermaine picked up on it?
May the bridges I burn light your way

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:57 pm

He went and celebrated with Beckford after the goal. He whispered "that's how you do it, Jay"
Pfffft.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:09 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:Just seen the highlights and, wow, we really are a team reborn under Lennon. When he was appointed I was excited about what he could for us with his Celtic pedigree, but I didn't anticipate such a marked and rapid turnaround.

Each player seemed to really play their role well yesterday, and in the game before too. Sure we looked shakey in the first 10 minutes but even that wasn't as scarey as every minute under DF. McManaman is something else and how he's still playing in this league is beyond me; any other day he could have single handedly won the game for Wigan. Cravies seems like he could be a Super Kev Mk 2 for us with the way he battles everything on these performances; Clayton's movement, vision, and ability to lose the last man is truly exceptional (his playstyle reminded me of a young Owen); and Chungy looks like a completely different player from the past 2, 3 years. I hope we can hold onto him, but his contract is out this summer isn't it? Hope he's not playing for scouts.

Odd that McClean chose not to represent a poppy. I can understand, almost respect, why he would choose not to but isn't Lennon from Northern Ireland too? Not to trivialise the politics and issues during the 60s-80s especially, but just odd that he makes a stance against the poppy.

Overall very, very happy fan here. Everyone played well but those three really stood out in the highlights. Also nice to see Mavies not injured and that he hasn't lost any pace or movement, let's hope he keeps fit. 2 wins on the bounce against good teams, 4 wins from 6 and all decent-to-good performances. Let's hope this confidence and a nice break carries us forward to Blackpool in two weeks' time :)
I should have phrased it like that. A lesson to learn for me in not posting when you're knackered, and when you've had a couple of victory drinks, I think.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:17 pm

Lennon comes from an area in Norn Iron that is intrinsically linked with the Troubles and he didn't seem to have much issue with the Poppy/minute's silence last night
Pfffft.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:24 pm

As good a team performance as I can remember for a long, long time. Desire, graft and craft, all the things we were lacking under DF.

I went round to the local club to watch it. The Wings club has a generally elderly clientele, they switch off the sound on the TV's when they start the bingo and the pool table gets shut off when the artiste comes on.

Sadly for members last night, the first goal went in just as the artiste reached the bridge of Ronan Keating's 'Life is a Roller Coaster". My apologies to him for the scream of "Yeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssss" in the middle of his act.

Fortunately, Craig Davies heard my scream of "Wide, Wide" and laid the ball off for Feeney before galloping into the box (Have a look where he is when Feeney crosses, he's got masses of ground to make up) and I apologise to the bingo caller for drowning out his "Maggie's Den, number ten" with a "Fecking GET IN".

I may be barred. It was worth it.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:27 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:As good a team performance as I can remember for a long, long time. Desire, graft and craft, all the things we were lacking under DF.

I went round to the local club to watch it. The Wings club has a generally elderly clientele, they switch off the sound on the TV's when they start the bingo and the pool table gets shut off when the artiste comes on.

Sadly for members last night, the first goal went in just as the artiste reached the bridge of Ronan Keating's 'Life is a Roller Coaster". My apologies to him for the scream of "Yeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssss" in the middle of his act.

Fortunately, Craig Davies heard my scream of "Wide, Wide" and laid the ball off for Feeney before galloping into the box (Have a look where he is when Feeney crosses, he's got masses of ground to make up) and I apologise to the bingo caller for drowning out his "Maggie's Den, number ten" with a "Fecking GET IN".

I may be barred. It was worth it.
I honestly wished you had a video of that, BB :lol:
Pfffft.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:39 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:Desire, graft and craft
That's kind of what I was getting at rather than a particular style of play. You could also add swagger to that.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:04 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Love the desire from Craig Davies to get into the box for his goal.
I wonder if Jermaine picked up on it?
Those points I completely agree with. I also absolutely love the way that Lennon and Mjallby celebrate our goals, they look as though we're in a cup final with every celebration. That passion is nothing if not infectious. Even if we win or lose, I feel happy being a fan again with our desire and passion to throw everything into each game.
truewhite15 wrote:
throwawayboltonian wrote:Just seen the highlights and, wow, we really are a team reborn under Lennon. When he was appointed I was excited about what he could for us with his Celtic pedigree, but I didn't anticipate such a marked and rapid turnaround.

Each player seemed to really play their role well yesterday, and in the game before too. Sure we looked shakey in the first 10 minutes but even that wasn't as scarey as every minute under DF. McManaman is something else and how he's still playing in this league is beyond me; any other day he could have single handedly won the game for Wigan. Cravies seems like he could be a Super Kev Mk 2 for us with the way he battles everything on these performances; Clayton's movement, vision, and ability to lose the last man is truly exceptional (his playstyle reminded me of a young Owen); and Chungy looks like a completely different player from the past 2, 3 years. I hope we can hold onto him, but his contract is out this summer isn't it? Hope he's not playing for scouts.

Odd that McClean chose not to represent a poppy. I can understand, almost respect, why he would choose not to but isn't Lennon from Northern Ireland too? Not to trivialise the politics and issues during the 60s-80s especially, but just odd that he makes a stance against the poppy.

Overall very, very happy fan here. Everyone played well but those three really stood out in the highlights. Also nice to see Mavies not injured and that he hasn't lost any pace or movement, let's hope he keeps fit. 2 wins on the bounce against good teams, 4 wins from 6 and all decent-to-good performances. Let's hope this confidence and a nice break carries us forward to Blackpool in two weeks' time :)
I should have phrased it like that. A lesson to learn for me in not posting when you're knackered, and when you've had a couple of victory drinks, I think.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Poppies are a matter of pride whether pro or against so knee jerk reactions happen. I can understand his viewpoint with his open letter, but it's odd that he goes out of his way to not display one despite other (Northern) Irish players & managers, probably with similar opinions, wearing one to represent losses in conflict regardless of beliefs or politics. It's normally something worn to respect those lost in conflict, with an empahsis on the first and second world wars, to bring us all together.

With respect to McClean, as the Dude once said, "You're not wrong. You're just an asshole".
Well, that's what I thought. Surely by not wearing one, you're perpetuating the sort of sectarian nonsense that brought about the Norn Iron conflicts in the first place?

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:14 pm

truewhite15 wrote:Well, that's what I thought. Surely by not wearing one, you're perpetuating the sort of sectarian nonsense that brought about the Norn Iron conflicts in the first place?
Yes and he's happy enough to pick up his £000's a week from over here....

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:31 pm

William the White wrote:And, hey, it looks like we all of a sudden we have central defenders who can defend... Dervitte excellent, mills like a rock...
Yeah, I thought they were brilliant. I made a post after the Cardiff game about how I'm worried about Mills in a high line but there were two occasions last night which made me he's adapting very well to the new role. Instead of waiting until the ball came to him, he attacked it, made sure their striker couldn't get to it and cleared the threat without any problem. That's exactly what he needs to do and if he keeps doing that, it should mean we get caught out much less. Had he not intercepted one pass, it was 2 on 1 for them, so it likely would have resulted in a goal but his reading of the game was excellent and he snuffed the chance out with no problem.

I was impressed with all the team though. We're developing very nicely. Only 10 points away from the play offs and I fancy us to beat Blackpool next... :oyea:

Whookam
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Whookam » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
truewhite15 wrote:Well, that's what I thought. Surely by not wearing one, you're perpetuating the sort of sectarian nonsense that brought about the Norn Iron conflicts in the first place?
Give over.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:29 pm

Whookam wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:
Give over.
Go on then I'll humour you....

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:38 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Whookam wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:
Give over.
Go on then I'll humour you....
Where he earns his money is irrelevant. Did you read his letter? The British Army has done plenty good in the past but massacring unarmed civilians was clearly not one of them. If I were from the community where that happened I wouldn't be wearing a symbol supporting the institution responsible for it. Nobody should be obliged to wear it, and if he's uncomfortable with it then fair play to him for having the balls to stand apart and take the abuse. Equally if people in the crowd feel very supportive of th armed forces and want to boo him then fair enough as long as it doesn't get silly.
I've worn a poppy all week for the same reasons as most people, but I haven't come from the background he has so I'm not going to judge the lad.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:41 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Well, that's what I thought. Surely by not wearing one, you're perpetuating the sort of sectarian nonsense that brought about the Norn Iron conflicts in the first place?
Old hatreds die hard in Ireland, believe me. My dad was Irish from Mayo and you'd never get a word out of him about the troubles, although he was a thirteen year regular soldier and always took us to the Cenotaph on Rememberence Sunday. On the other side of the coin I once gave a relief holiday to a "ten year old" girl from Belfast who was absolutely filled with hatred and black bile about the British Army and made no secret of it. She had a mouth like a sewer and stole from my own kids. It was what she had been taught at home. It may resolve some day, but it's still far from it right now.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:19 pm

truewhite15 wrote: Well, that's what I thought. Surely by not wearing one, you're perpetuating the sort of sectarian nonsense that brought about the Norn Iron conflicts in the first place?
Oh dear!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:21 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Exactly the sort of remark I'd expect from you. Go on, what have his wages to do with any of it?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:22 pm

Loved hearing Rosler after the match complaining about Davies bullying his centre backs. A sentence I loved the first time I heard it from a Mr O'Leary :D

Have we become so jingoistic as a nation, that some cant see why an Irish Catholic might not want to wear a poppy? Sheeesh
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:42 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
truewhite15 wrote: Well, that's what I thought. Surely by not wearing one, you're perpetuating the sort of sectarian nonsense that brought about the Norn Iron conflicts in the first place?
Oh dear!
Maybe I'm naive about what the poppy stands for. I wear it to remember everyone who lost their lives in wartime, whether civilian, war-hardened general or somewhere in between. But please, enlighten me, because I'd like to know what exactly was so wrong with the comment I made above, so that I don't make the same mistake in future.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:05 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:exactly the sort of remark I'd expect from you. Go on, what have his wages to do with any of it?
Ditto....exactly the response that I expected from you...relax its just a BWFC internet forum.... and you don't know me from Adam (who the feck is Adam !).

For the record I have absolutely no issue with anyone not wearing a poppy, but why make it public by making such a provocative statement. Would you go to work in another country, enjoy everything that that country had / has given you and then publically make such a statement on such a sensitive issue.

Why not just not wear a poppy on the shirt and keep quiet, there is a possibility that no one would have noticed....why bite the hand the feeds you, and to be honest his side of the NI troubles have hardly been an innocent party have they ?

Would you go and work in the US and come out with such a public statement, ahead of a 9/11 anniversary that is so important to the majority of US citizens - who you have lived with and worked with and in the country that has given you such a great lifestyle....