This majestical roof fretted with golden fire - Smoggies (A)

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Re: This majestical roof fretted with golden fire - Smoggies

Post by Hoboh » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:15 pm

plymouth wanderer wrote:Also (just by the commentary) it seemed Vela was having a bad game! see if it's verified by anyone that went!
Another?

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:29 pm

Hoboh wrote:
plymouth wanderer wrote:Also (just by the commentary) it seemed Vela was having a bad game! see if it's verified by anyone that went!
Another?

True!!! Played out of position again!! What's the deal with cravies? Where's this Rochinha?
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:31 am

Jonah wrote:
plymouth wanderer wrote:
Jonah wrote:
plymouth wanderer wrote:I think we'll be fine(hope) I like Lennon but he's dropped a massive (ginger) bollock tonight!

Yeah we didn't concede 4 but we still rolled over and handed it to them! we didn't attack um till the last 10 minutes!
Sometimes against string opposition that's the smarter approach . Think Ali, dope on a rope .

Sorry mate.... I don't see how Heskey and Eidur made the game tighter

Clough and Alf would've offered alot more! funny how we had our best spell when those 2 were on the pitch!
I think we are better with one big lad up there at least to stop it conning straight back at us . I assume eidur was in to steady and organise plus to enable clough to come on fresh when they tired and be 100% for the more winnable game coming up on Saturday . Wasn't far off working . It wasn't a coincidence that clough and alf were full of running in the last 15 and Heskey stayed on .
Agree with this. Against Watford ALF and Clough looked great breaking forward and were a joy to watch. But it only worked for short periods, and when it didn't it came straight back far too easily through a very soft midfield at a nervy defence. We need to forget about looking pretty and get results however possible right now. It's a real shame Medo was binned off without getting a chance, because Bannan has been a poor signing so far.
I'd certainly find a place for Clough at home because he's ours, he's on form and he can finish (ALF has missed more good chances than he's scored). I'd keep ALF on the bench until we can shore midfield up. Never thought I'd be advocating Heskey over ALF but it just demonstrates the desperate mess the team is in.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:02 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Jonah wrote:
plymouth wanderer wrote:
Jonah wrote:
plymouth wanderer wrote:I think we'll be fine(hope) I like Lennon but he's dropped a massive (ginger) bollock tonight!

Yeah we didn't concede 4 but we still rolled over and handed it to them! we didn't attack um till the last 10 minutes!
Sometimes against string opposition that's the smarter approach . Think Ali, dope on a rope .

Sorry mate.... I don't see how Heskey and Eidur made the game tighter

Clough and Alf would've offered alot more! funny how we had our best spell when those 2 were on the pitch!
I think we are better with one big lad up there at least to stop it conning straight back at us . I assume eidur was in to steady and organise plus to enable clough to come on fresh when they tired and be 100% for the more winnable game coming up on Saturday . Wasn't far off working . It wasn't a coincidence that clough and alf were full of running in the last 15 and Heskey stayed on .
Agree with this. Against Watford ALF and Clough looked great breaking forward and were a joy to watch. But it only worked for short periods, and when it didn't it came straight back far too easily through a very soft midfield at a nervy defence. We need to forget about looking pretty and get results however possible right now. It's a real shame Medo was binned off without getting a chance, because Bannan has been a poor signing so far.
I'd certainly find a place for Clough at home because he's ours, he's on form and he can finish (ALF has missed more good chances than he's scored). I'd keep ALF on the bench until we can shore midfield up. Never thought I'd be advocating Heskey over ALF but it just demonstrates the desperate mess the team is in.
I can't fathom why both Medo and Spearing have been allowed to leave, only to be replaced by Bannan. People say Spearing clearly isn't a Lennon type of player, but he would have been 2 years ago when he was in his prime here. Always chasing down players and ferocious in the tackle he was, you'd expect Lennon would be the guy to install that aspect of his game back in him.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:14 am

Jugs wrote: I can't fathom why both Medo and Spearing have been allowed to leave, only to be replaced by Bannan. People say Spearing clearly isn't a Lennon type of player, but he would have been 2 years ago when he was in his prime here. Always chasing down players and ferocious in the tackle he was, you'd expect Lennon would be the guy to install that aspect of his game back in him.
i guess managers either like players or they don't... Lenny gave Beckford a good chance and a fair few opportunities before offloading him - yet Medo didn't get a single minute in an actual game (did he?) under Lenny... he's given Trotter a fair crack but seems to have frozen McNaughton out...

Lenny wouldn't be the first manager to appear fickle - but I guess there is more going on through what they see in training that we don't have access to...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:24 am

Possibly Spearing's exit was wage-related - although Lennon did seem to completely lose faith all of a sudden (was it the game at Norwich?)

We can play two "non-stick" forwards like Alf and Zach if we've got a teak-tough midfield winning the ball back. It works less well with a Coylesque midfield four of two wingers, one tippy-tapper and one knackered Scouser who, when tired, arrives late in the tackle and gives away free kicks.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:29 am

Anyone else get the feeling, even in this slump that Lennon gives off the aura of I know what I'm doing?

I really hope we turn it round soon and don't get dragged into a relegation fight. With Lennon in charge and a pre season under his belt I really see us doing something.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:30 am

We'll win the next two. Word. :oyea:
May the bridges I burn light your way

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:31 am

Oh and if Spearing and Medo were 2 ft taller they'd still be here.

They are solid players but aren't aerially good. I know Bannan isn't tall but he is here in an attacking sense to which Medo and Spearing offered little.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:48 am

LeverEnd wrote: . I'd keep ALF on the bench until we can shore midfield up. Never thought I'd be advocating Heskey over ALF but it just demonstrates the desperate mess the team is in.
Apparently, at least according to the commentary and N.L, last night Heskey well earned his place on merit because of his contribution. Despite all else, we lost to one goal due to a soft error and playing away against a high flying team. Had we got to half time at 0-0 we may well have got at least a point. As the second half went on we got more and more dominant and in the final ten they sounded to be really hanging on.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:57 am

Also sounded like we couldn't have complained if they'd been 3 up at that point too though.

An improvement it sounds, certainly, but forgive me for not getting too excited at a defeat. What I like about Lennon is that I'm sure that's his attitude too. Wasn't for pats on the back for glorious defeat post-Liverpool, was disappointed we didn't win. Next 4 games look huge, big performances needed.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:03 pm

Lennon post-Borough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_-rSay ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He gives big props to Ben Amos, which is interesting ("gave us a calmness at the back...")

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:15 pm

Looks to me like Boro could/should have had at least 3 :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-kL7o3 ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:24 pm

Prufrock wrote:Also sounded like we couldn't have complained if they'd been 3 up at that point too though.

An improvement it sounds, certainly, but forgive me for not getting too excited at a defeat. What I like about Lennon is that I'm sure that's his attitude too. Wasn't for pats on the back for glorious defeat post-Liverpool, was disappointed we didn't win. Next 4 games look huge, big performances needed.
He could be my best mate and drinking buddy, but if he doesn't keep us up, he'll be a complete tw@t.

Job 1 isn't build for next year or anything to do with pre-season. Job 1 is clearly to keep us in the division at the moment. If he manages some of the other things along the way - that's bonus.

He clearly isn't going to emulate what Dougie achieved in his first season.* ;-) (* This is clearly a wind up, but also probably true)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:28 pm

Worthy4England wrote: He could be my best mate and drinking buddy
Ahh, I think that LeverEnd's pipped you for that slot.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:33 pm

Christ, I think they were struggling for a few of those "highlights"!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:39 pm

Looking at those highlights Dean Moxey's positioning is terrible. He's drawn towards the ball or dawdling on nearly every one of Boro's attacks.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:44 pm

DJBlu wrote:Looking at those highlights Dean Moxey's positioning is terrible. He's drawn towards the ball or dawdling on nearly every one of Boro's attacks.
THREE.YEAR.DEAL :hang:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:53 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
:D

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:56 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
:D
Well we only had a brief chat which started in the pub bogs but I do think we will soon be BEST friends.