A switch of the (h) Ips and we're gone..Home V THE Tractor Boys Sat 11th Mar. 3-0'clock

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: A switch of the (h) Ips and we're gone..Home V THE Tractor Boys Sat 11th Mar. 3-0'clock

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:17 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:59 pm
January signings are all poor. That’s glaring now. None of them are in our best 11. And obviously Dapo would be were he here. We are weaker.
Evatt's clearly not happy, with talk to changing how we approach transfers. For him to come out and say that before the season is over was striking.

The fact is we've had no chance to actually use the January lot, because they've barely been fit. It may well be that that's what Evatt is talking about when he says a shift in policy. We've signed players with sketchy injury histories to try and get bang for our buck, but it's totally backfired as they've broken down whilst we try to get them fit enough for this pressing style. We need a different profile of player if this is the way we're going to play from now on.

The main on-field issue right now is that for all Evatt's talk of "My strikers always get chances" they don't. We put money into the front two in January, but we're creating very little. Evatt's not been able to integrate the passing patterns into his high press effectively against better sides and when they pass through us we have no response. We won't find out if these lads can do what we need until we get the ball to them consistently. Our pass appreciation has to improve dramatically.

This group of players didn't believe they could play at pace through Ipswich, which is daft because when they tried to at the start of the second half we made things happen.

Evatt might have taught these lads how to play his system, but they're clearly lacking confidence in their ability to get it done on the grass against good sides.

It's a huge lift to go from today to a performance that can lay a glove on Wednesday or Plymouth.

My worry is that Evatt hasn't got any kind of response, despite claiming he would. We're getting worse, not better. This will be a very short few days for him as we head to Friday. It'll skip by in a heartbeat and he has a lot to do to change the mood.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: A switch of the (h) Ips and we're gone..Home V THE Tractor Boys Sat 11th Mar. 3-0'clock

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:24 pm

I think everyone expects a drubbing at Hillsborough. I'm there for the atmosphere and beer!
Would be worse I think if we had a game were expected to win and failed to do so.
Did you get there or remain happily snowed in?

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:27 pm

We'll beat Wednesday.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:28 pm

Our midfield shape is appalling, absolutely non existent - I honestly couldn't tell anyone what we are good at as a team, we are not defensive, not attacking, not a passing / possession team, not long ball - what are we as a team. answers on a postcard ?

I can say however that we are a team who fcuks about at the back for no reason & then do nothing with the ball. Evatt's barrowcelona, heavy press, fitter than any other team etc. is utter bollocks & bullshit.

With the backing that he's had from FV IMO he's under performing & his January signings have been a real let down.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:30 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:24 pm
I think everyone expects a drubbing at Hillsborough. I'm there for the atmosphere and beer!
Would be worse I think if we had a game were expected to win and failed to do so.
Did you get there or remain happily snowed in?
Snowball fights and sledges, I'm afraid.
334911045_705998291309527_4536872754148333164_n.jpg
334911045_705998291309527_4536872754148333164_n.jpg (423.3 KiB) Viewed 451 times

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:31 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:17 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
January signings are all poor. That’s glaring now. None of them are in our best 11. And obviously Dapo would be were he here. We are weaker.

Evatt's clearly not happy
So are you saying that transfers in & out are out of his hands ?, which if so totally contradicts everything that he's said over the past few years about him & Markham working closely on targets,

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:34 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:28 pm
With the backing that he's had from FV IMO he's under performing & his January signings have been a real let down.
Ipswich's left back cost more than our entire squad.

Luongo gets paid for than our entire midfield.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:35 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:31 pm
So are you saying that transfers in & out are out of his hands ?
I've never said that, nor have I implied it.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:35 pm

If we don't reach the play off's Evatt should be sacked (IMO)

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:36 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:35 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:31 pm
So are you saying that transfers in & out are out of his hands ?
I've never said that, nor have I implied it.
So what where you saying Mr know it all.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:36 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:35 pm
If we don't reach the play off's Evatt should be sacked (IMO)
You are entitled to your wrong opinion.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:37 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:17 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Evatt's clearly not happy, with talk to changing how we approach transfers. For him to come out and say that before the season is over was striking.

The fact is we've had no chance to actually use the January lot, because they've barely been fit. It may well be that that's what Evatt is talking about when he says a shift in policy. We've signed players with sketchy injury histories to try and get bang for our buck, but it's totally backfired as they've broken down whilst we try to get them fit enough for this pressing style. We need a different profile of player if this is the way we're going to play from now on.

The main on-field issue right now is that for all Evatt's talk of "My strikers always get chances" they don't. We put money into the front two in January, but we're creating very little. Evatt's not been able to integrate the passing patterns into his high press effectively against better sides and when they pass through us we have no response. We won't find out if these lads can do what we need until we get the ball to them consistently. Our pass appreciation has to improve dramatically.

This group of players didn't believe they could play at pace through Ipswich, which is daft because when they tried to at the start of the second half we made things happen.

Evatt might have taught these lads how to play his system, but they're clearly lacking confidence in their ability to get it done on the grass against good sides.

It's a huge lift to go from today to a performance that can lay a glove on Wednesday or Plymouth.

My worry is that Evatt hasn't got any kind of response, despite claiming he would. We're getting worse, not better. This will be a very short few days for him as we head to Friday. It'll skip by in a heartbeat and he has a lot to do to change the mood.
Today was crying out for experienced pros like ermm Arimson. Instead we had kids like Mbete and Shoretire running round like the absolutely hopeless chickens. They simply are not options for the rest of the season and Evatt has to be honest about that.

You can’t parachute kids at the level they are into a team trying to compete at the top end of league one. These are kids who are a year or two behind the level required.

All over the park it’s worrying but Evatt has to find a way to stop this or for me I do think he’s found his level as a manager and we would need a change. Ipswich showed the template for how to get out of this league. You need to be strong, physical, ruthlessly organised and have a clinical edge. You need that template to roll out week on week. You can’t get out of this league with the sort of football we’ve played. It needs too much. We need to simplify it. Stop relying on individuals and build a team in the way Ipswich and Wigan last season have.

There is a lot for Evatt to learn but his management is going to be tested in the next few weeks far more than ever.

I did detect in his interview a bit of the sense that he’s given up. The whole ‘nice to be up here’ tone. It’s not the tone you want.

I don’t think he can blame anyone for January but himself. The decisions we made were questioned at the time. And now the result is clear. An incredibly poor window where we sold experience and proven players for youngsters not ready for men’s football and an array of strikers who are all so far looking poor.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:38 pm

Whenever we've played poorly and been well beaten it's always nice to check in and be reminded that at least I'm not mental.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:40 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:36 pm
So what where you saying Mr know it all.
That Evatt feels we need to change the profile of player we recruit as we shift styles.

I imagine we'll be looking for more physicality and fewer injuries in their background.

It's a guess, obviously. He could have meant he'd be looking abroad for value for all I know.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:44 pm

Another thing was Santos got absolutely murdered today. People keep saying he’s championship level yet whenever we play against a half decent side with a striker with some movement he looks an absolute lumbering liability.

If we want automatic promotion or to really compete at the top end of this league we need better. Watch the videos and clips and tell me otherwise. He’s simply not going to deliver consistently in a way you need.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:48 pm

We needed experience in January & some leadership as the team are weak as piss & soft as shit. Did Evatt address this, did he fcuk he thought signing & playing inexperienced kids (Mbete & Shoretire) would do it.

Evatt isn't really that good IMO, tactically or managerially. Knee-jerk possibly but someone please tell me what he's seriously improved & how he will get us out of League 1, because we could do this for the next 3-4 years under Evatt and still come up short as we need a few big, tougher & wiser players to get us out of league 1 which is not Evatt's style & he refuses to sign these type of players.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:49 pm

Will Aimson wouldn't have helped today. We got caught on the counter and on a set piece, neither of which Aimson has helped with in the past.

The issue we had at the back was related to experience, sure; but just having more experience regardless of attributes wouldn't have solved much.

What we've needed in both the wide centre back positions recently has been on the ball and not off it. Toal has apparently forgotten how to pass and Mbete clearly has no faith in his ability to put a ball in.

Evatt's big mistake today was playing Jones next to Mbete. Mbete refuses to use his left foot to play angles and that means he passes to Jones, but he passes to Jones as though he's a left footer and then there's no ball forward. We got stuck down that side so many times. If Mbete is going to play that same pass outside then Williams had to start.

I don't mind Toal or Mbete and I'm not having a go, but they've been poor with the ball recently.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:51 pm

Well that was grim. Again. Men against boys today. Poor choices and poor decision making all over the park.

One positive note - Cameron Jerome did enough in his short appearance to suggest he'll be an upgrade on what we've had up top. Victor certainly isn't on current showing.

Bertie - give yer head a wobble lad. Evatts proven himself and I'm confident we'll finish in a higher position next season than this, which shows continual improvement in my book.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:52 pm

George Johnston shall return, as will others, tough March, April might, just might surprise us all.

If we can't take the fact we've been beaten by a better side on the day then we don't deserve to enjoy the victories.

It's the hope that is kills the fans as this builds the expectation that goes beyond the abilities of the team.

We'll win some and lose some until the end of the season.

If we go up then hurrah, if not then we are on the way there. Just needs a little more patience.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:53 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:49 pm
Will Aimson wouldn't have helped today. We got caught on the counter and on a set piece, neither of which Aimson has helped with in the past.

The issue we had at the back was related to experience, sure; but just having more experience regardless of attributes wouldn't have solved much.

What we've needed in both the wide centre back positions recently has been on the ball and not off it. Toal has apparently forgotten how to pass and Mbete clearly has no faith in his ability to put a ball in.

Evatt's big mistake today was playing Jones next to Mbete. Mbete refuses to use his left foot to play angles and that means he passes to Jones, but he passes to Jones as though he's a left footer and then there's no ball forward. We got stuck down that side so many times. If Mbete is going to play that same pass outside then Williams had to start.

I don't mind Toal or Mbete and I'm not having a go, but they've been poor with the ball recently.
Williams looks absolute bobbins. I’d play myself ahead of his thus far. Mbete is in no way ready to be in our team. Neither is Shoretire. No point pretending otherwise it’s blindingly obvious.