Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:53 pm

Also of some note for us, St Mirren appear to be seeking fees for Baccus and Strain before Australia go away. That's a bit unexpected as St Mirren are flying in the league and the general wisdom was they'd take the hit for the chance of European football.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:55 pm

I think selling Morley in January would be crazy. A young player with potential in whom we have invested in, and is still developing. How many of our current midfielders can kick a dead ball like him? He is going through a bad patch now but with patience he will come through it. I am more concerned about Carlos Mendez Gomes... what position does he play ? Definitely not a central midfielder nor a # 10 to me, and is taking up a midfield spot in the six that we have. He is not a 9 either, probably a 7, but maybe if Jerome retires, we can push him forward and sign a midfielder. Not impressed either with Maghoma and his short bouts of dribbling. He cannot kick, nor can he defend and is out of the game most of the time. Sort those two out before looking at Aaron.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:47 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:55 pm
I think selling Morley in January would be crazy. A young player with potential in whom we have invested in, and is still developing. How many of our current midfielders can kick a dead ball like him? He is going through a bad patch now but with patience he will come through it. I am more concerned about Carlos Mendez Gomes... what position does he play ? Definitely not a central midfielder nor a # 10 to me, and is taking up a midfield spot in the six that we have. He is not a 9 either, probably a 7, but maybe if Jerome retires, we can push him forward and sign a midfielder. Not impressed either with Maghoma and his short bouts of dribbling. He cannot kick, nor can he defend and is out of the game most of the time. Sort those two out before looking at Aaron.
Amazed by criticism of CGM and Maghoma.

Paris has looked like a superb addition to the squad and CMG has hardly been seen.

Paris has started 9. He's scored 3 and made one. He can 100% improve, but he's been a breath of fresh air. Always looks to attack a defender and play forward.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:58 pm

I think Paris has been excellent (I'd like to see that made permanent in Jan).

I get it with CMG though. Not so much criticism of him as I've absolutely no idea what he is supposed to be for us.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:06 pm

Yeah, I'd sign Maghoma too. And same as most others on CMG, not sure what he's about, for us at the moment..

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:09 pm

CMG is the latest Dapo / Sadlier.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:16 pm

Seems like I am a lone voice on Paris, but he has to show me more to prove to me that he could cut it in the Championship. I have been keeping a close eye on him. He has the x-factor but cannot flit in and out of games as he currently does. I would love to see his passing accuracy and game involvements compared to our other midfielders.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:20 pm

Seems very unlikely we’d be in a position to sign Maghoma next month. Too expensive and probably not much motivation on the player’s side to make that decision in this window.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:33 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:20 pm
Seems very unlikely we’d be in a position to sign Maghoma next month. Too expensive and probably not much motivation on the player’s side to make that decision in this window.
Sounds right. If we go up, maybe we can afford it more and he would fancy it more.

But then again it's one of those where if he truly excels (a la Traf/Bradley, albeit perhaps not quite to that extent) then others might circle, or Brentford might think he has potential for them. Even if they don't, their business model is not to let players go for nowt – and as his contract expires in 2025, next summer they will decide whether to poop or vacate the pot.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:54 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:33 pm
Sounds right. If we go up, maybe we can afford it more and he would fancy it more.

But then again it's one of those where if he truly excels (a la Traf/Bradley, albeit perhaps not quite to that extent) then others might circle, or Brentford might think he has potential for them. Even if they don't, their business model is not to let players go for nowt – and as his contract expires in 2025, next summer they will decide whether to poop or vacate the pot.
I think the big difference with Paris is that he'll be 23 at the end of this season. It's a big step up from League One to the Prem and with one year left on his deal I'd fancy Brentford to cash in.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:57 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:54 pm
Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:33 pm

I think the big difference with Paris is that he'll be 23 at the end of this season. It's a big step up from League One to the Prem and with one year left on his deal I'd fancy Brentford to cash in.
That’s what I expect too. And not a loan-to-release-date like say Dapo essentially was. They ain’t in it to help us. Fair enough.

Maybe if he really rips up League One between now and May they’ll give him another year and hope he can step up next season, do same in Champo and be worth more. Again though, not sure it helps us.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:04 pm

Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:57 pm
That’s what I expect too. And not a loan-to-release-date like say Dapo essentially was. They ain’t in it to help us. Fair enough.

Maybe if he really rips up League One between now and May they’ll give him another year and hope he can step up next season, do same in Champo and be worth more. Again though, not sure it helps us.
I doubt he'd sign that deal. It's not in the player's interests to just accrue value for Brentford. He wants to play in the Premier League and to achieve that he probably needs to leave Brentford. If we go up we'd probably be in a very good position to get him, but he'd not cost peanuts.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:16 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:04 pm
Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:57 pm

I doubt he'd sign that deal. It's not in the player's interests to just accrue value for Brentford. He wants to play in the Premier League and to achieve that he probably needs to leave Brentford. If we go up we'd probably be in a very good position to get him, but he'd not cost peanuts.
So you think if he does well here and a Premier club (Brentford) extend his contract, he’d say no? Possible I guess but extending wouldn’t hugely hurt his options; it’d give him another year to impress Brentford, for a start. He’s already left Spurs at 18 to sign for the Bees’ Bs, and has since geared up through three loans - Div 4 Wombles, lower-D3 McDons and now upper-D3 us.

As you say he’s a touch old for all that, but while he’s still rising he might fancy his chances.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:30 pm

Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:16 pm
So you think if he does well here and a Premier club (Brentford) extend his contract, he’d say no?
Yes, if the offer was a one year extension and "see how you do" I think he'd turn it down.

He will go back to Brentford wanting a clear path to first team football and a commitment from the club that reflects that. If he doesn't get it he will look for a club that can offer him a route to the top tier as a first team player.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:20 pm

Worth noting, in terms of our midfield this season - the midfield and wingbacks last season scored 22 league goals in 46 games.

This season they've scored 15 in the first 20 games. That's with CMG, who scored 7 for (a not very creative) Fleetwood last term, largely missing.

Whilst we can improve, that section of the team is streets ahead of where it was.

8 teams outscored us last season. We're second for goals scored this term.

Sometimes it's as well to take a moment to look at how much we've improved and assess what that means for where spending should be targeted.

*Edit* 20 games into last season vs now gives you:

22/23: Scored - 24 Conceded - 19
23/24: Scored - 38 Conceded - 22

Our defending got better as we went along last season and it seems like we are getting there this season with the clean sheets run we had. If we sort out our transitional defending we go up. Fairly simple. For us that'll be primarily about the flanks and not the spine.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:01 pm

Matheson and Carty given new deals lasting until summer of 2025.

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/new-deals-young-whites-duo

This suggests that we think both of these lads might have a first team future with us, although it sounds as though potentially both of them will be heading out on loan in January, so won't be filling the gaps we have at WB and up front this season.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:24 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:01 pm
Matheson and Carty given new deals lasting until summer of 2025.

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/new-deals-young-whites-duo

This suggests that we think both of these lads might have a first team future with us, although it sounds as though potentially both of them will be heading out on loan in January, so won't be filling the gaps we have at WB and up front this season.
Sounds like Carty is definitely set for a loan and Matheson may be if we can get some business done, which is more hopeful that Hart's comments.

Entirely possible Neil was trying to be clever and not have any clubs thinking they had us over a barrel.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:39 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:24 pm
Sounds like Carty is definitely set for a loan and Matheson may be if we can get some business done, which is more hopeful that Hart's comments.

Entirely possible Neil was trying to be clever and not have any clubs thinking they had us over a barrel.
Hart's comments? Have I missed some verbal diarrhoea?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:43 pm

Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:39 pm
He did an interview where he said everyone is happy with the squad and there have been no conversations about "wanting him" regarding any players for January.

From some of the stuff around the club I'd have assumed that was bollocks if a fan said it, but when it comes from the CEO you have to at least acknowledge it's been said :conf:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:20 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:43 pm
Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:39 pm
He did an interview where he said everyone is happy with the squad and there have been no conversations about "wanting him" regarding any players for January.

From some of the stuff around the club I'd have assumed that was bollocks if a fan said it, but when it comes from the CEO you have to at least acknowledge it's been said :conf:
Thanks. I believe you, but do you have a link? I'd be interested to cock an eye, if one can indeed do so, even if it's horseshit.