Now he's gone, who's next?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who would you like to see replacing Owen Coyle?

Alan Curbishley
12%
Paolo di Canio
7%
Billy Davies
7%
Keith Hill
4%
Roy Keane
1%
Mick McCarthy
9%
Gary Neville
8%
A rising lower-league boss (eg Micky Mellon)
9%
BWFC legend (eg Hierro/Gudni/McGinlay)
8%
Someone from abroad (eg Solskjaer)
27%
Someone from within (LSL/Jiminho/Didsy/Zico)
2%
AN Other
6%

Total votes: 128

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: Now he's gone, who's next?

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:14 pm

football247 wrote:I think we at palace may end up with McCarthy
... who, whilst hardly exciting, you (& we) could do worse than.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:17 pm

football247 wrote:I think we at palace may end up with McCarthy

There's rumours that he wanted to much too come to us so...

Personally i don't want him (Mcarthy) do you?
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

scotty
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by scotty » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:30 pm

sounds like its pretty much a done deal now. Cant see Bolton and Freedman not coming to an agreement now.

Got a really bad feeling about this. Obviously, i'll give him my full backing from the off and i would love to be proved wrong, but like one of the Palace fans said, I don't think this suites any party. Very inexperienced and he's hardly been pulling up trees over the last 18 months. As other people have pointed out, his defensive record is dreadful this season and that has been our weak area for the last 2 years. Cant say i was impressed with Palace when they came to the Reebok earlier in the season either (other than a couple of individuals.)
Who's that coming up the hill boys,
The Wanderers are coming up the hill boys,
They all laugh at us, they all mock at us,
They all say our days are numbered,

Born to be a Wanderer, victorious are we....

football247
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by football247 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:31 pm

In answer to above for the next palace manager Im not too overexcited about Mccarthy, he's a bit old school for our youngsters imo

Id prefer Kenny Jackett from millwall, done a decent job there, plus it will piss them off quite a bit

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:39 pm

football247 wrote:
plymouth wanderer wrote:
Kirby wrote:Bolton have had far more recent success (being able to stay in the Premier League for longer than one season beats us!) but on the whole I don't think we're poles apart. We do have similar crowds and similar sized stadia (granted yours is a bit more flash).

I don't think the Freedman move suits either party. He's loved here and has job security. We also have wealthy owners willing to back the manager. He'll be taking a big risk career wise if he jumps ship. He'll also lose his legend status. Unless you're offering him a fortune the whole move seems a bit odd.

Size ain't everything it's how you use it :wink:

What sort of football does he like to play mate

For the last 2 seasons to be honest its been pretty turgid stuff for us at palace, he's played a 451, we were really hard to beat but it was awfull to watch, the last half of the season we were woeful and only won 3 games, very rare for us to score more than 1 goal.

This season, we had an awful start and were bottom after 3 games, fans were calling for his head but since then we had a tremendous run probably more down to zaha than the manager, the lad has just been unplayable we still play 451 but seem a bit more attacking.

To be honest as ive said before apart from this run weve been medicore, I really dont understand your interest.

It seems from reading from people in the know that the palace owners havent offered Dougie a new contract (probably not 100% convinced about him) so thats why he wants to speak to Bolton.

I just think Its a big cock up all round, from Bolton to going after him, our owners for not offering him a contract sooner and for Dougie to leave his fans for a tough job, I foresee him being sacked in a year.
This really worries me. Clearly none of us up here know how accurate this description is, but it seems to be a pretty honest and genuine opinion and describes many average manager's in any of the leagues.

I can't help think that if we get him, then this is one huge gamble and possibly one huge mistake. Nothing I've read about him fills me with any confidence or excitement.

Am I the only one a bit worried by this prospect?
Hope is what keeps us going.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:43 pm

Where all worried

Whoever we get i'll be worried, unless it's Mourinho
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:44 pm

Always hopeful wrote: Am I the only one a bit worried by this prospect?
clearly not if you read the last 2 or 3 pages of posts!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:46 pm

plymouth wanderer wrote:Where all worried

Whoever we get i'll be worried, unless it's Mourinho
This. Whoever we get, there will be people not happy.

Frankly I think keeping our feet on the ground is best.

We haven't appointed anyone yet. He may not take it.

If he does then we support him, because we have to hope it works.

Can't accuse the club of lacking ambition though, going for yet another manager already in employment.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:50 pm

Always hopeful wrote:
football247 wrote:
plymouth wanderer wrote:
Kirby wrote:Bolton have had far more recent success (being able to stay in the Premier League for longer than one season beats us!) but on the whole I don't think we're poles apart. We do have similar crowds and similar sized stadia (granted yours is a bit more flash).

I don't think the Freedman move suits either party. He's loved here and has job security. We also have wealthy owners willing to back the manager. He'll be taking a big risk career wise if he jumps ship. He'll also lose his legend status. Unless you're offering him a fortune the whole move seems a bit odd.

Size ain't everything it's how you use it :wink:

What sort of football does he like to play mate

For the last 2 seasons to be honest its been pretty turgid stuff for us at palace, he's played a 451, we were really hard to beat but it was awfull to watch, the last half of the season we were woeful and only won 3 games, very rare for us to score more than 1 goal.

This season, we had an awful start and were bottom after 3 games, fans were calling for his head but since then we had a tremendous run probably more down to zaha than the manager, the lad has just been unplayable we still play 451 but seem a bit more attacking.

To be honest as ive said before apart from this run weve been medicore, I really dont understand your interest.

It seems from reading from people in the know that the palace owners havent offered Dougie a new contract (probably not 100% convinced about him) so thats why he wants to speak to Bolton.

I just think Its a big cock up all round, from Bolton to going after him, our owners for not offering him a contract sooner and for Dougie to leave his fans for a tough job, I foresee him being sacked in a year.
This really worries me. Clearly none of us up here know how accurate this description is, but it seems to be a pretty honest and genuine opinion and describes many average manager's in any of the leagues.

I can't help think that if we get him, then this is one huge gamble and possibly one huge mistake. Nothing I've read about him fills me with any confidence or excitement.

Am I the only one a bit worried by this prospect?
I think you might have to change your pen name! :D

No end of handwringing on here will change it if he coming so back him and see what happens. It's a fresh start. 451 would suit us. If he got them tight last season it implies he can sort out a defence and here he will have more creative players to turn to than Zaha.I've felt for some timne that if we tightened up and played less open we have enough quality going forward to be able to win more games than we'd lose.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:53 pm

Ianmooreslovechild wrote:
No end of handwringing on here will change it if he coming so back him and see what happens. It's a fresh start. 451 would suit us. If he got them tight last season it implies he can sort out a defence and here he will have more creative players to turn to than Zaha.I've felt for some timne that if we tightened up and played less open we have enough quality going forward to be able to win more games than we'd lose.
there's little evidence that palace have been tight this season... they have leaked more goals even than we have...

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:57 pm

thebish wrote:
there's little evidence that palace have been tight this season... they have leaked more goals even than we have...
I know, I was referring to what the palace poster said of last season. In fairness 9 of those were in the first 3 games then they tightened up but have conceded 5 in the last 2 BUT different personel.I'm sure with the quality defensive options inherited from coyle he will soon have us getting chants of boring boring bolton and we'll be singing 1 0 to the wanderers :lol:

football247
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by football247 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:04 pm

I forgot to add about Freedman

He's absolutely mad on fitness, the amount of trialists and potential signings weve turned down because they were not fit enough was getting silly, us palace Fans used to joke that even mo Farrah wouldnt be up to scratch, so If you have any players who have a poor attitude or are unfit then they will be shown the door.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:05 pm

football247 wrote:I forgot to add about Freedman

He's absolutely mad on fitness, the amount of trialists and potential signings weve turned down because they were not fit enough was getting silly, us palace Fans used to joke that even mo Farrah wouldnt be up to scratch, so If you have any players who have a poor attitude or are unfit then they will be shown the door.
Now it's all starting to make sense!

The Berlin Bear
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by The Berlin Bear » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:06 pm

Been mulling this over all day. The fact that this isn't and exciting prospect may be a good thing. It could what we actually need. Remember when Coyle signed? It was exciting. It was a decision made with the heart as much as it was with the head.

These where my thoughts until looking at his record and listening to what palace fans think of Freedman.

Now? I'm not convinced. I'm happy with keeping the current management team in, at least for the next few games.
Eisern Union!
HGW XX/7 Gewidmet, in Dankbarkeit

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:10 pm

I have to say. I really don't quite understand this one. That's not "I'm against it", that's "don't understand it".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:12 pm

Worthy4England wrote:I have to say. I really don't quite understand this one. That's not "I'm against it", that's "don't understand it".
^ exactly where I am! (you should be worried, Worthy!)

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:13 pm

thebish wrote:
I know, I was referring to what the palace poster said of last season. In fairness 9 of those were in the first 3 games then they tightened up but have conceded 5 in the last 2 BUT different personel.I'm sure with the quality defensive options inherited from coyle he will soon have us getting chants of boring boring bolton and we'll be singing 1 0 to the wanderers :lol:
Remember what it was like towards the end of Allardyce's reign and for the majority of Megson's? Boring, turgid stuff. Yes, we were strong at the back and we're in a reasonably safe position in the league, but I for one was very bored with it.

Stopping the rot is important and a change is as good as a rest and all that, but from the Palace fans description of the man, I'm more than a little concerned that he's not necessarily got anything to offer. Particularly when you take away the Saha effect.

Lets see what happens.
Hope is what keeps us going.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:14 pm

Heard from a Palace fan that he runs the club from top to bottom, believes in developing young players and integrating them with the first team, and is fanatical on fitness.

Guess it kinda makes sense based on what we were after.

I have a gut feeling but I will wait till he has agreed to come before stating that!

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:19 pm

Reports suggest talks will start on Wednesday but there is no chance of that IMO. Palace have a game tomorrow so he can't take on that game with things as they are. I suspect talks are underway as we speak and a decision will be made by the morning.

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:21 pm

I reckon he'll be great. Based on f-all, obviously.