Freedman out!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: Freedman out!

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:21 pm

ffs Joe. Really, lighten up man !!
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:31 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/10 ... go/?ref=mr

The BN have their say (in a roundabout way). Its actually quite a good piece!
It's a terrible piece.

"As things stand now, Dougie Freedman’s team have timed their return to form perfectly, recovering from a 10-game winless streak to beat Birmingham City on Saturday; and now sit 20th with eight points." - "Return to form" is very generous given that our goal against Yeovil shouldn't have counted and we were gifted two goals against Birmingham. Aside from that 'timed perfectly' indicates that it was all part of a masterplan...no, the plan is to win every single game from the first to the last. We didn't strategically do abysmally for the first few games in order to catch Birmingham off guard and scrape a win against them. This logic is nonsense.

"Is it telling, however, that four months into his reign at Wigan Athletic, Coyle has not signed a single one of the players under his charge at Bolton." - No it's not. It means absolutely nothing. Maybe Coyle would have loved to sign some of our players but didn't because Wigan don't need strengthening in that area, don't want to pay over the odds, the player wouldn't be interested in leaving or numerous other reasons. It's not 'telling' at all and it's certainly not proof that Coyle doesn't rate the players he signed for us.

"On the staffing front, Freedman seems to have a more proactive backroom with old hand Lennie Lawrence and ‘sergeant major’ Curtis Fleming calling the shots and a beefed-up medical and analytical team." - So despite having an even better backroom, medical and analytical team, Freedman is still doing a worse job in the Championship than Coyle did during his tenure, most of which was in a higher league?

"Freedman took a while to turn the ship round but seemed to have done so after winning nine out of 12 games in February and April last season, eventually missing out on the play-offs by a single goal. The less said about this season’s start – the longest winless stretch from the start of a campaign in 111 years the better." - So this basically translates to "lets highlight everything negative Coyle did whilst ignoring the absolute sh*t that Freedman has done. Coyle is a better manager than Freedman. He's doing a much better job at Wigan than Freedman has done so far this season, and that's despite Wigan being in Europe.

It's a terribly biased article but I'm sure Iles would have been biased towards Coyle when he was still our manager too. A writer for the local newspaper isn't going to put the boot in, even though it's deserved, because it'd be bad for their career. I don't blame Iles for writing this nonsense but that's exactly what it is; he's showing blind faith in a manager who has done nothing to prove he has managerial ability. Freedman has the lowest win percentage in the league for a reason and him staying in the job is doing nothing but holding us back.
Can I just check the rules on this so I'm clear. Is the number of points you've got at any one stage the deciding factor over who is the best manager?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:42 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:Coyle is a better manager than Freedman. He's doing a much better job at Wigan than Freedman has done so far this season,
that would be..... errr... because Freedman hasn't had the chance to do a job at Wigan?? :conf:

SmokinFrazier wrote:Freedman has the lowest win percentage in the league
you keep saying that - over and over again - but... just to be clear.. it's not, strictly speaking, actually true.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:05 pm

thebish wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:Coyle is a better manager than Freedman. He's doing a much better job at Wigan than Freedman has done so far this season,
that would be..... errr... because Freedman hasn't had the chance to do a job at Wigan?? :conf:

you keep saying that - over and over again - but... just to be clear.. it's not, strictly speaking, actually true.
SF, you would never agree with it unless it was a bruital character assassination of your bete noir, aka Douglas. This is the local mpaper, they have to have a bit of optimism. And they have improved, although 'return to form' is a bit strong.

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:35 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Can I just check the rules on this so I'm clear. Is the number of points you've got at any one stage the deciding factor over who is the best manager?
It's a factor but not the deciding one.
thebish wrote:you keep saying that - over and over again - but... just to be clear.. it's not, strictly speaking, actually true.
My apologies, I checked that before and he did have the lowest career win percentage in the Championship. Recent results have put Freedman just ahead of Dickov and Flitcroft.
LeverEnd wrote:SF, you would never agree with it unless it was a bruital character assassination of your bete noir, aka Douglas. This is the local mpaper, they have to have a bit of optimism. And they have improved, although 'return to form' is a bit strong.
I agree, Iles is never going to be critical of Freedman unless he gets sacked. He can't be openly against any manager, regardless of how bad they are.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:58 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Can I just check the rules on this so I'm clear. Is the number of points you've got at any one stage the deciding factor over who is the best manager?
It's a factor but not the deciding one.
thebish wrote:you keep saying that - over and over again - but... just to be clear.. it's not, strictly speaking, actually true.
My apologies, I checked that before and he did have the lowest career win percentage in the Championship. Recent results have put Freedman just ahead of Dickov and Flitcroft.
LeverEnd wrote:SF, you would never agree with it unless it was a bruital character assassination of your bete noir, aka Douglas. This is the local mpaper, they have to have a bit of optimism. And they have improved, although 'return to form' is a bit strong.
I agree, Iles is never going to be critical of Freedman unless he gets sacked. He can't be openly against any manager, regardless of how bad they are.
Iles was fairly critical of Coyle towards the end of his time in charge. Before he got sacked.

As an example a tweet from him at the end of August 2012
Coyle's thoughts on tonight's game on BN website now. Hard to defend, really.
That is not exactly "toeing the club line". Though I accept he can't write exactly what he thinks.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:45 pm

Despite the cock-eyed optimism of the "return to form" commit, it's far from a terrible piece.

Its main drift is that we're in a very different place now to a year ago.

But I'm sure the comparisons will continue nevertheless, to suit the repeatedly banged drum.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:29 pm

thebish wrote:

The grass is always greener.....
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:02 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:Coyle is a better manager than Freedman
And there we have it
Do you ever get to games?
I can only assume you didn't see the utter dogshit served up at Hull, Millwall and Burnley at the beginning of last season
All served up by the team Coyle thought was good enough to be playing in the Prem
He either can't judge a player or he's shit...or both

ps - Jokes over
Tell me who you are
Owen or his mop headed lad?
Sto ut Serviam

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:11 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:
And there we have it
I can only assume you didn't see the utter dogshit served up at Hull, Millwall and Burnley at the beginning of last season
All served up by the team Coyle thought was good enough to be playing in the Prem

ps - Jokes over
Tell me who you are

so do you think DF is better and if so why ?

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:21 pm

StaffsTrotter wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:
And there we have it

ps - Jokes over
Tell me who you are

so do you think DF is better and if so why ?
I've just given you
We can then have the fact that no other Bolton manager has left a club so much lower in the League than when they started than Owen Coyle managed
We can mention 4 fcuking million on Ngog
We can mention Sordell, Ream and some other bag of shit that he wasted the Cahill money on
We can mention his piss poor management of Muamba
We can mention his complete and utter neglect of anything other than table tennis and seallion impressions
We can mention Wigan at home when we didn't see the ball for the first half hour
We can mention his employment of the fat kit man
We can mention him being a complete and utter cock who watched us win about 15 games in 70 and never got the idea that it might be worth trying something else for fear of being proven wrong

None of this proves Freedman is better, but I didn't actually make a claim that he was - the Champ Manager expert got my attention with his laughable post
Sto ut Serviam

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:26 pm

Oh aye, as for why Freedman is better?

Cos he's not that fcuking cock, Owen Coyle and that's all you need to know

That and the fact that Freedman knows more about football than Owen Coyle and his chums will ever know

You only need to talk to people in the club who have seen the methods of the two blokes to know which one is a bloke you can trust with the club

I've heard from somebody who has seen him at close quarters at Wigan (lBolton lad who has now left so he could have an axe to grind) that the difference between Martinez and Coyle is unbelievable

Ones a football manager, the other is winging it
Sto ut Serviam

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:50 pm

get the slight impression you don't rate coyle then :| , but given you won't favour DF despite how vehemently you berate coyle doesn't give an impression that you have much regard for Dougie.

I do see that you weren't saying DF was better, but IMO the 'better' thing is like knitting fog anyway - they all have strengths and weaknesses (much of which we don't see or experience) - even Coyle. As ever, the default is results / table position as it the only irrefutable fact, but the bit that gets me is that most people usually judge in retrospect and re-write history to suit. Thats why I quite like the challenge that SF poses, I know he winds a lot of people up on here, but he's made an early call on DF and willing to put forward a case (not sure about basis for the OC comparison mind) - events will show whether he is right

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:54 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:Oh aye, as for why Freedman is better?

Cos he's not that fcuking cock, Owen Coyle and that's all you need to know

That and the fact that Freedman knows more about football than Owen Coyle and his chums will ever know

You only need to talk to people in the club who have seen the methods of the two blokes to know which one is a bloke you can trust with the club

I've heard from somebody who has seen him at close quarters at Wigan (lBolton lad who has now left so he could have an axe to grind) that the difference between Martinez and Coyle is unbelievable

you posted this whilst I was writing mine - OK so you favour DF, albeit a little bit by default of not being coyle

Ones a football manager, the other is winging it

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:01 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:
I imagine we're talking about the same lad. Coyle's touchline gobshittery was a standing joke amongst the Wigan players long before he took over there, so it isn't sour grapes on the player's part - he's been saying it for a few years. Even Miachi had a 'hilarious' impression of him apparently.
When a player that's played in every division and has spent much of the latter part of his career on Premier League benches listening to the good and the great at close quarters claims that he's never heard anyone as utterly clueless as Coyle, well, that for me carries a fair bit of weight, unlike the opinion of some single-issue gobshite on the internet with a bee in his bonnet.
May the bridges I burn light your way

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:08 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:
I imagine we're talking about the same lad. Coyle's touchline gobshittery was a standing joke amongst the Wigan players long before he took over there, so it isn't sour grapes on the player's part - he's been saying it for a few years. Even Miachi had a 'hilarious' impression of him apparently.
When a player that's played in every division and has spent much of the latter part of his career on Premier League benches listening to the good and the great at close quarters claims that he's never heard anyone as utterly clueless as Coyle, well, that for me carries a fair bit of weight, unlike the opinion of some single-issue gobshite on the internet with a bee in his bonnet.

if nothing else then OC clearly is a successful snake oil salesman

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:14 pm

StaffsTrotter wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:

Oh I agree entirely. Listening to him at the first fans' forums I left with fire in my belly. I went to all the ones at which Coyle spoke and they all became less and less convincing as Coyle withstood less and less scrutiny.

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:22 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
StaffsTrotter wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:

Oh I agree entirely. Listening to him at the first fans' forums I left with fire in my belly. I went to all the ones at which Coyle spoke and they all became less and less convincing as Coyle withstood less and less scrutiny.
suggests that he would be good for the motivational bit but need someone else for the more strategic/ tactical bit - wonder if DF is the other way round ?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:38 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:I imagine we're talking about the same lad.

A glove-wearer, I guess ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:48 pm

bobo the clown wrote:A glove-wearer, I guess ?
That doesn't really narrow it down nowadays, does it?! ;)