January 2022 Transfer Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: January 2022 Transfer Thread

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:26 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:13 pm
Are we up to 6 now?
Four permanent, two new loanees, one extended (Amaechi).

Morley and Charles on 3.5yr deals, Sadlier 2.5, Bod 1.5. That's 11 years of contract signed off...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:33 pm

Last year's loanee Ben Jackson lent to Donny.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:43 pm

I think we’ve managed to get many more options going forwards which is good.

We still are too lightweight in midfield in my view and have huge questions about cover at the back or even quality there.

The system has helped. But we look light in quality and depth in these areas.

Tomorrow will be a good test of how far we’ve come. Can we stand up to a good side in this division.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:53 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:43 pm

We still are too lightweight in midfield in my view and have huge questions about cover at the back or even quality there.

Tomorrow will be a good test of how far we’ve come. Can we stand up to a good side in this division.
Reasonable. I don't think they've had enough games yet, to judge whether it's been good or not. But promising start.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:13 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:43 pm

I think "non league donkey" to "light in quality" is a big progression for Santos and I'm delighted to see him get such praise :lol:

Sunderland will be a massive test and we will have to keep and use the ball better than we have in the previous two games to get another clean sheet. If we did manage to it would be a genuinely amazing achievement given where we were.

A point would be a statement of improvement. A win would be massive.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:14 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:26 pm
one extended (Amaechi).
Another where you're left scratching your head as to when he gets games.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:22 pm

Looks like a really decent signing Sadlier, a player signed to fit in with Evatt's style of play (certainly a decent replacement for Sarcevic). It does look like the Dempsey deal has moved forward today & is still on and will apparently likely to be done on Monday should he not get injured in his last game for Gillingham tomorrow.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:30 pm

Random twitter rumours linking us to Matt Butcher of Stanley and Swansea's Yan Dhanda #content
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:44 pm

Nice to see that despite signing 6 players and still being in for Dempsey we are still involved in silly season.

Matt Butcher is probably capable of playing Championship football. No idea where he'd fit into everything at this stage, but if we sign him it'd be more quality in the squad. Hard to see, though.

Yan Dhanda I can no longer see being on the cards. Maybe in the summer.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:59 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:44 pm
Nice to see that despite signing 6 players and still being in for Dempsey we are still involved in silly season.

Matt Butcher is probably capable of playing Championship football. No idea where he'd fit into everything at this stage, but if we sign him it'd be more quality in the squad. Hard to see, though.

Maybe the subject for a separate thread but demarcation lines such as 'can play championship football' or 'league one is their limit'/'non leaguer'...what does that mean in practice? Obviously 'being better at football' covers that but are there specifics that elevate one above another or is it more just about doing fundamentals a bit better and a bit quicker?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:07 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:

Butcher is the sort we need. The sort we are crying out for surely? We can’t rely only on MJ. And some games we need two enforcers in there anyway.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:22 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:59 pm
Maybe the subject for a separate thread but demarcation lines such as 'can play championship football' or 'league one is their limit'/'non leaguer'...what does that mean in practice? Obviously 'being better at football' covers that but are there specifics that elevate one above another or is it more just about doing fundamentals a bit better and a bit quicker?
Depends on the player.

If you take Dhanda as an example, the question marks for him are all around his physicality. Because he's small the rest of his game has to be exceptional to make up for it. The higher you go the the more you have to compensate.

Some combination of pace, power, match awareness, technical ability etc. Then the harder stuff to allow for like personality traits.

Dapo's biggest issues are his reliance on shifting to his right and his inability to react if things aren't working for him. He needs to improve on those before he can reliably step up a division, but if he were quicker Championship clubs would be looking at him right now as an option.

On the pace thing, same goes for Williams. Love the guy, but Championship sides will rip him to bits as there are so many players at that level who can run him on either foot.

Lee has never been fast or strong and has only ever been solid technically, rather than exceptional; but his match awareness is genuinely top class and he's always been able to make time for himself as a result, meaning he easily mixed it in the Championship. If he'd had those physical traits he'd have got a move to the Prem.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:29 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:14 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:26 pm
one extended (Amaechi).
Another where you're left scratching your head as to when he gets games.
I didn't think that was the case. I thought Amaechi was one of our stand out targets over the summer and we got him rather late after we found out he was available. I suspect that we'll be de-registering Josh Sheehan to allow for the likes of Amaechi to be registered for the second half of the season. I suspect that Delfouneso is going to be de-registered due to a lack of impact.

Possibility of being de-registered:
Gilks, Gordon, Brockbank (obviously), Edwards, Sheehan, Tutte, Isgrove (pending injury recovery), Delfouneso, Darcy, Thomason

The EFL site states:
Clubs in League One shall be permitted to name up to a maximum 22 Players, of which a minimum of 8 must be a Home Grown Player.

Under 21 players do not need to be named on the Squad List to be eligible to participate in a League Match. For Season 2020/21 Under 21 players will have been born on or after 1 January 1999.

Given Darcy falls into the category of home grown I can't see him being de-registered in favour of someone else nor can I see Thomason being removed from that list.

Homegrown:
Darcy, Thomason, Senior, Edwards, Hutchinson, Alexander, Henry, Pettifer, Tweedley, Conway.

Any of those to make the 8 homegrown which leaves 14 for the rest of the players.

Dixon, Gilks, Trafford
Jones, John, Santos, Johnston, Fossey, Aimson, Baptiste, Gordon
Sheehan, Amaechi, Morley, Tutte, Lee, Sadlier, Isgrove, Williams
Delf, Bodvarsson, Charles, Bakayoko, Afolayan, Kachunga

I'd suspect the new players to feature:
Bodvarsson, Sadlier, Fossey, Charles, Trafford, Morley, Amaechi

A keeper to backup: Dixon

Which then would leave 6 left:
Dapo, Baka, Isgrove, Williams, Kacha, Johnston/Aimson

So that would likely end up leaving out:
Gilks, Baptiste, Gordon, Sheehan (expected back registered next season), Tutte, Delfouneso, Johnston/Aimson

Someone correct me if i'm wrong and there is more positions. Not a fan of squad size restrictions but it does seem like the club have a lot of tough decisions to make.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:31 pm

We probably don't see isgrove back til next season I think

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:39 pm

Mar, Brockbank already left, and Darcy and Thomason are under 21 so don’t count against that squad total of 22.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:44 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:59 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:

I take it to generally mean something along the lines of being capable of doing things more efficiently. The higher level, the more intelligent the players are, meaning their positioning is better, their closing down of the space is better, the pace of the play is quicker, fewer technical mistakes are made, etc.

All the above place demands on a player's technique, concentration, spatial awareness and so on. Space found in the third tier might not be found in the second tier, a heavy touch that can be got away with in the fourth tier might result in possession being lost in the third tier.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:15 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:39 pm
Mar, Brockbank already left, and Darcy and Thomason are under 21 so don’t count against that squad total of 22.
I put obviously next to Brockbank to account for him already leaving.

As for Darcy and Thomason, they make up 2 of the 8 that are expected by the league for homegrown players.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:34 pm

Mar wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:15 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:39 pm
I put obviously next to Brockbank to account for him already leaving.

As for Darcy and Thomason, they make up 2 of the 8 that are expected by the league for homegrown players.

I think that only applies in the Premier League.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:57 pm

Mar, mate, don't worry. You're overthinking it, and getting a bit lost in rules. :D

Firstly, it's 22 *outfielders* so forget goalies.

Secondly, don't worry about "homegrown". It means country not club – it just means affiliated to a club under the England or Wales FA for three years before the age of 21. Cesc Fabregas counted as homegrown.

From the EFL rules:
https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/ef ... -fixtures/
33.9 ‘Home Grown Player’ shall mean a Player who irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with:-

33.9.1 his current Club; and/or

33.9.2 a Club and/or any other football club affiliated to the Football Association or the Football Association of Wales,

for a period, continuous or not of three Seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the Season during which he turns 21). For the purposes of this definition of Home Grown Player only, a Season will be deemed to commence for all Clubs on the same date as the date on which the Summer Transfer Window in that Season closes for Clubs in Leagues One and Two, and expire on the date of the final League Match of the Season.

33.10 For the purposes of Regulation 33.9.2, but not otherwise, a Player who was at all times registered with a Club (or club) affiliated to the Football Association of Wales shall be treated as having been registered with a Club (or club) affiliated to The Football Association, and vice versa.
Darcy, Thomason, Morley and Amaechi are all "underage" by the EFL's definition (which, this season, is being born on or after 1/1/2000).

By my reckoning, even with Sadlier we have 20 overage outfielders not on loan:

1 Marlon Fossey (9/11/98)
2 Alex Baptiste (31/1/86)
3 Liam Gordon (15/5/99)
4 Andrew Tutte (21/9/90)
5 Nathan Delfouneso (2/2/91)
6 Ricardo Santos (18/6/95)
7 Will Aimson (3/6/94)
8 MJ Williams (6/11/95)
9 Kieran Lee (22/6/88)
10 Josh Sheehan (30/3/95)
11 Lloyd Isgrove (12/1/93)
12 Elias Kachunga (22/4/92)
13 Amadou Bakayoko (1/1/96)
14 Jon Dadi Bodvarsson (25/5/92)
15 Kieran Sadlier (14/9/94)
16 Gethin Jones (13/10/95)
17 George Johnston (1/9/98)
18 Declan John (30/6/95)
19 Dapo Afolayan (11/9/97)
20 Dion Charles (7/10/95)

*Xavier Amaechi (5/1/2001)
*George Thomason (12/1/01)
*Ronan Darcy (4/11/00)
*Aaron Morley (27/2/00)

(Just to prove it's confusing, that's one more space than I thought we had - I'd been counting Amaechi forgetting he is underage)

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:10 am

So Gordon, Tutte, Delf, Sheehan and Isgrove could all be de-registered if need be to free up spaces.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle: