Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:54 am

Magennis is more mobile than Madine, so that's a benefit. Doesn't have Madine's technical ability (people will laugh at that, but Madine's touch and ability to feed the ball whilst fighting off 2-3 players showed his technique was solid). He's powerful, reasonably quick and he works hard. His last three managers have all said the same about him, he's a limited but honest player (obviously they've said it in different ways, but as a summery that's accurate).

Common positive themes from his managers have been:

He's a threat in the air.
He holds the ball up well.
He defends from the front.
He's good in his own box.
He's great in training.
He shows up every game.

Common negative themes:

His movement has been described, at best, as "okay" (Killy manager has said that a few times).
His decision-making can be poor.
He lacks aggression to match his stature.
His finishing is poor (Lee Bowyer said he needed to bring in a "natural finisher", Killy's boss said Magennis didn't make the most of his chances etc).

So, assuming we sign him and he plays, we need to get crosses in and get runners around the lad. Basic stuff, but we didn't see much of the service and supporting runs he will need to get anything out of him. Regardless of whether people think he's a good or bad player, Parky will need to get him ticking - and more so than he did Madine. Parky got Madine the individual doing well, but the team overall remained poor. Magennis needs to be a cog in a better machine this season. We can't leave Magennis as isolated as we left Gary, he doesn't have the technical ability to retain and distribute in that way. We need to be in and about him quickly and offer much more simple passing options. We can, though, play the channels with Magennis up there and we lost the ball constantly trying that with Madine.

Time will tell and all that bollocks. He's more likely to suit Parky than Alf is, as has been said.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:05 am

One thing I would say, is based on the Girona game and what I know about Magennis, which is basically watching something like 5-10 Charlton games over the last two years and reading about him on here and on Charlton fan sites, I would select Donaldson assuming both are fully fit. From the Girona game, Donaldson does challenge well enough for long balls to at least prevent the defender from making a comfortable clearance. And he offers enough pace to get on the end of balls played into space, and has decent pace and ability when he gets it, and has a scoring record to suggest he will take chances. He probably won't be able to play every game given he is 34, but he looks a decent Championship striker in terms of ability.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:17 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:05 am
One thing I would say, is based on the Girona game and what I know about Magennis, which is basically watching something like 5-10 Charlton games over the last two years and reading about him on here and on Charlton fan sites, I would select Donaldson assuming both are fully fit. From the Girona game, Donaldson does challenge well enough for long balls to at least prevent the defender from making a comfortable clearance. And he offers enough pace to get on the end of balls played into space, and has decent pace and ability when he gets it, and has a scoring record to suggest he will take chances. He probably won't be able to play every game given he is 34, but he looks a decent Championship striker in terms of ability.
Would be fairly damning if Parky felt the same way. If Donaldson, who has never been a great player, is preferable at 34 to Magennis in his prime, then Josh is no longer plan C, he's more like plan Z.

One thing I would say is that Posh made a bid for Magennis. I know a couple of lads on the staff down there and they have a really good scouting and coaching set up. I've not spoken to them about Magennis, obviously, but if Posh are prepared to pay a fee for a player then they usually have something about them. The survival of that club relies on them identifying players who can do a job and then be sold for a good profit. My assumption would be that Posh being willing to spend money on Magennis means the team there think he's capable of playing in the Championship and would later command a reasonable fee. Jack Marriott, George Cooper, Marcus Maddison etc - they know their players, right through the leagues and into non-league.

We do apparently want another striker, though, so god knows who is and isn't in the running for the title of "main man" next season. With Wyke being off the table now (seemingly) I'd not be surprised if we had a go for Jayden Stockley. Last year of his two year contract, right frame for Parky, scores goals and is fairly young. Been some murmurs that we had a scout looking at him. I didn't even know we could still afford scouts.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:24 am

I love me a target man, so I'm in wait and see mode. Also grateful that 'Ken's serious about Wyke' nonsense is finally over.
Striker sorted, now for the love of god left back and defensive mid and keeper. Or does Ken got Magennis covering those positions too?

3GK: Alnwick, Magennis
3CB: Wheater, Beevers, Wilson, Magennis
3RB: Olki, Little, Darby,
1LB: Taylor, Magennis
3DM: Lowe, Vela, Magennis
3AM: Oztumer, Ireland, Pritchard
2RW: SAmeobi, Noone
2LW: Wildshcut, Buckley,
3ST: Magennis, Donaldson, ALF,
What could've happened; did.

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:43 am

Confirmed that we are looking to bring Antoneeeeee back on loan. I'm starting to feel a bit better now between this and the Magennis move - think my panic fanny dial has dropped from an 8 to a 7.
http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/16 ... -the-jedi/

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:02 am

:lol: headline writer's dream. Hope that gets done and soon.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:08 am

Hopefully Everton get their end sorted quickly. Antonee can hopefully slot back in very quickly, more so than an entirely new signing.

It is of course entirely possible that the BN are making it up purely so they can use that headline.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:29 am

I would be extremely happy to get Jedi back for the season. He brings pace and attacking threat down the left flank and should be a better, more mature player relative to last season.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:29 am

Spartan2 wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:57 pm
How would we have described Madine if he were to have been bought by a championship club when we were in league one? or the season before? What would his most vociferous detractors have said? He went on to be exceptional for six months. I'm glad we've got a target man because watching us hoof it to ALF is painful.
Sums up how I feel on this. Glass half full. Especially after last season
Pfffft.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:04 am

Posh game not on tv/streaming somewhere?

Also the IFollow thing. Does anyone use it?

I'm thinking about it but I only want the highlights on demand package.
A) because most LIVE games begin at 2am for me & B) because it's heaps cheaper...

Could I buy it and get a UK VPN or something?
What could've happened; did.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:28 am

We might all be jumping the gun slightly on Magennis. We are reported to have had a bid accepted, we have to agree terms yet. Ken will have contacted Barry Fry and found out what Peterborough are offering, and will offer a bag of Hoola Hoops, and a fun size Mars Bar on top. When Magennis' agent says that the minimum his client will accept is that plus a large bag of Minstrels on top, Ken will delay and obfuscate, dragging it out until the last days of the window, when having saved a whole weeks wages will then offer a regular bag of Minstrels, with one large bag as an end of season staying up bonus, as a take it or leave it offer, to be paid as cashflow allows. Barry Fry could easily stretch to a large packet of Bacon Wheat Crunchies, plus the fun size Mars, and the large bag of Minstrels with a promotion bonus of luxury truffles, guaranteed to be paid on time, and gazump us.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:24 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:28 am
We might all be jumping the gun slightly on Magennis. We are reported to have had a bid accepted, we have to agree terms yet. Ken will have contacted Barry Fry and found out what Peterborough are offering, and will offer a bag of Hoola Hoops, and a fun size Mars Bar on top. When Magennis' agent says that the minimum his client will accept is that plus a large bag of Minstrels on top, Ken will delay and obfuscate, dragging it out until the last days of the window, when having saved a whole weeks wages will then offer a regular bag of Minstrels, with one large bag as an end of season staying up bonus, as a take it or leave it offer, to be paid as cashflow allows. Barry Fry could easily stretch to a large packet of Bacon Wheat Crunchies, plus the fun size Mars, and the large bag of Minstrels with a promotion bonus of luxury truffles, guaranteed to be paid on time, and gazump us.
Lee Anderson has put the emojis on twitter so maybe not.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:00 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:24 pm
3 turd emojis, a shrug and a dead donkey.

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:02 pm

Season tickets arrived to day so expect one or two players leaving.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:07 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:00 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:24 pm
3 turd emojis, a shrug and a dead donkey.

Two fun size Mars bar emojis and a family pack of Doritos.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:20 pm

Emoji's could also be because of this?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... Digne.html
Pfffft.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:31 pm

Robinson, Magennis....need both. Then a goalkeeper, centre back and midfielder.

I'm hoping we'll see one "wow" signing. I don't expect it, but it would help morale. A serious mid or centre back would be great.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:00 pm

mullayo wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:04 am

A) because most LIVE games begin at 2am for me & B) because it's heaps cheaper...

What could've happened, did. FFS; what drives the illiterate misuse of semi-colons?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:08 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:00 pm
mullayo wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:04 am

What could've happened, did. FFS; what drives the illiterate misuse of semi-colons?
Let me guess Spots: It's those yobish, vape-puffing tourists nicking your seat in the local again. :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:58 pm

Iles Tweets:
Wanderers have all but wrapped up Magennis. Few little bits to sort. Also hearing fee is lower than predicted down south... A very decent deal.
So sub the £350k mooted.

He also says:
Another one will be sorted Monday.
I'll guess that'll be A. Trialist... Hobbs?