Coyle sacked

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Joggers Nipple
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Coyle sacked

Post by Joggers Nipple » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:55 pm

Dr.Karl wrote:Has anyone got his league record? I can only find wikipedia's version of win record which included his cup games and lower league results. My flatmate is trying to win me up by saying his win record is better than Allardyce's!

Really glad he has gone. I wasn't running around the house like last time but I'm relieved he's gone. I'll say it, Megson seemed to work harder for the club while being an arsehole but Coyle has seemed to have ridden his luck while he has been here while earning a more than decent living from it.
Win record of just 33%

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:05 pm

Coyle feels Bolton were not far away from turning the corner, pinpointing a lack of luck as a factor for only collecting 11 points so far.

"The performances have been to a high standard, but we have to accept that we have not won as many games this season as we wanted to," he said.

"There has been an element of luck (involved).
Thus proving he wasn't changing any time soon.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:08 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Coyle feels Bolton were not far away from turning the corner, pinpointing a lack of luck as a factor for only collecting 11 points so far.

"The performances have been to a high standard, but we have to accept that we have not won as many games this season as we wanted to," he said.

"There has been an element of luck (involved).
Thus proving he wasn't changing any time soon.

indeed... and if that was his pitch in save-my-skin meetings with Garty and Eddie - then I'd be surprised if they didn't chase him out if the conference room with a shitty stick!

alpeters
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by alpeters » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:34 pm

Great servant both as player and manager i wish owen and hos family all the best but plese Sammy Lee again jesus thats gonna boost confidence not ?.
English By Birth Boltonion By the Grace Of God RIP The 33 9/3/1946

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:37 pm

alpeters wrote:Great servant both as player and manager i wish owen and hos family all the best but plese Sammy Lee again jesus thats gonna boost confidence not ?.
Dan.

Daaaan.

Danny, Danny, Danny.

Oh, you little tease.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:38 pm

alpeters wrote:Great servant both as player and manager i wish owen and hos family all the best but plese Sammy Lee again jesus thats gonna boost confidence not ?.
oh - I thought we paid him a shed load of money to manage us?? no???

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:46 pm

thebish wrote:
oh - I thought we paid him a shed load of money to manage us?? no???
Paid him to score 12 goals too.

Let's not rewrite history.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:52 pm

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0 ... 11,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dignified interview...dignified exit, "calling it straight".

Refers to "us" a lot - presumably Sandy Stewart and Steve Davis - best piece of advice I would give to Owen is to dump these yes men....meet some new people. Ones who could help you with the organisatioal side of the game.

Reading between the lines we (Gartside/Davies) tried to help him, by bringing in some help. Owen, you are too stubborn. Nobody's perfect, from Alex Ferguson to Gary Megson all managers make mistakes. Your biggest issue was your refusal to learn and not get help when needed. Maybe when you are older and wiser you could come back and try again; but I fear your stubbornness will stand in your way.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:19 pm

Interview on SSN now.

Brief one at that.....says he would have got us up this season.

midlands exile
Promising
Promising

Post by midlands exile » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:27 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:Interview on SSN now.

The man is crackers!

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:32 pm

officer_dibble wrote:http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0 ... 11,00.html

Dignified interview...dignified exit, "calling it straight".

Refers to "us" a lot - presumably Sandy Stewart and Steve Davis - best piece of advice I would give to Owen is to dump these yes men....meet some new people. Ones who could help you with the organisatioal side of the game.

Reading between the lines we (Gartside/Davies) tried to help him, by bringing in some help. Owen, you are too stubborn. Nobody's perfect, from Alex Ferguson to Gary Megson all managers make mistakes. Your biggest issue was your refusal to learn and not get help when needed. Maybe when you are older and wiser you could come back and try again; but I fear your stubbornness will stand in your way.
Stubborn bordering on arrogant. He has the qualities of a good coach,but really needs someone with more nouse than him making the important decisions and telling him what to work on and how. It's a shame in a way when you think back to his position in the game in that brief golden spell. Hell of a fall and very found out but I hope he can come back elsewhere with a bit more common sense and a realisation that there's more to the game than luck and belief.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:34 pm

midlands exile wrote:

The man is crackers!
Apparently they cut the interview early by mistake. What he really said was he would have got us up shit creek

midlands exile
Promising
Promising

Post by midlands exile » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:51 pm

Ianmooreslovechild wrote:
midlands exile wrote:

The man is crackers!
Apparently they cut the interview early by mistake. What he really said was he would have got us up shit creek
We're already there, at least he achieved one target this season.

Trotski
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Trotski » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:52 pm

Thank dog he's gone. He was not the words manager in my time. Sammy Lee - former AND current manager - what a streaming pile of shit he was. Credit where credit's due.
Oh coitus!

wanderers_on_tour
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by wanderers_on_tour » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:56 pm

Did anyone hear the interview with Gudni on BBC 5live earlier on??? I swear he mentioned something at the end about Curbishley and Phil Brown having 'the right personalities to work together'...cryptic...

He also said Mick McCarthy was good at getting teams promoted but with the subsequent relegations on his resume thought we could do better.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:17 pm

wanderers_on_tour wrote:Did anyone hear the interview with Gudni on BBC 5live earlier on??? I swear he mentioned something at the end about Curbishley and Phil Brown having 'the right personalities to work together'...cryptic...

He also said Mick McCarthy was good at getting teams promoted but with the subsequent relegations on his resume thought we could do better.
caught it whilst driving home. I missed the Brown /Curbishley thing(maybe editted interview as part of news) and he seemed to think Mick C was a reasonable option. At least that's what came across to me. Certainly nothing about we could do better. Thought it was a shame gudni wasnt in for it himself simply because he's such a legend and has a brain

wanderers_on_tour
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by wanderers_on_tour » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:39 pm

wanderers_on_tour wrote:Did anyone hear the interview with Gudni on BBC 5live earlier on??? I swear he mentioned something at the end about Curbishley and Phil Brown having 'the right personalities to work together'...cryptic...

caught it whilst driving home. I missed the Brown /Curbishley thing(maybe editted interview as part of news) and he seemed to think Mick C was a reasonable option. At least that's what came across to me. Certainly nothing about we could do better. Thought it was a shame gudni wasnt in for it himself simply because he's such a legend and has a brain
Was about 17:15 when the full interview was on like, couldn't believe it was him at first! They basically asked him if he agreed that Mick McCarthy was the favourite for the role and although he did give him a fair praise I think he finished on the 'but I would also look at...' line then dropped the Curbishley/Brown bomb.

Probably a mere slip of the tongue rather then owt more afoot but a interesting thought and just wondered if it had any foundation.

lovethesmellofnapalm
Reliable
Reliable

Post by lovethesmellofnapalm » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:50 pm

sad but inevitable i suppose.
after Stoke i said i hoped he would get rid of the players who shamed us that day .. and he did to a large extent. (SKD just keeps having a recurring one last hurrah)
the players he brought in have proved just not good enough.. though - and i'm probably the only one on here to say it.. i'd have given them and him until Boxing Day to turn it around.
the new broom will need to be a better judge of character/player than OC or i really fear we will be on a downward spiral.
"A child of five would understand this- send someone to fetch a child of five"

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:54 pm

wanderers_on_tour wrote:

Was about 17:15 when the full interview was on like, couldn't believe it was him at first! They basically asked him if he agreed that Mick McCarthy was the favourite for the role and although he did give him a fair praise I think he finished on the 'but I would also look at...' line then dropped the Curbishley/Brown bomb.

Probably a mere slip of the tongue rather then owt more afoot but a interesting thought and just wondered if it had any foundation.
Does Gudni Know anything of curbishleys personality? Brown by all means as an assistant if he can step back down. nb I heard an editted job hence the different implications

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:57 pm

In Coyles interview on local news tonight he repeated that several players were upset and about 90% were wanting to see him in the office after and 90% gave everything for him. Certainly suggests that he knew he'd lost some of the dressing room.

As for his belief that we were only where we were due to bad luck, and that he would have taken us up this season :shock:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"