Coyle vs Megson

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Coyle vs Megson

Post by Jakerbeef » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:08 am

Now in blur-o-vision

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKxNIlGQ7oE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm sorry, but I loved the guy and would have him back tomorrow. Twice the striker WashNgog is. Just a tad streaky to be truly upper tier...

It is one of the premier league's all-time great goals after all.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:03 am

Watching that goal just pisses me off. Wouldn't let him him anywhere near the club again. One our greatest letdowns. Megson's shit management is a mitigating factor but doesn't alter the fact that he was a waste of money.
I didn't mind him at the time, but when you weigh it up after the event....

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:43 pm

Mrs. Bobo who quite often expresses opinions about football .... just that they are normally complete bollox, so I've tuned them out .... today noticed the position we are now in, having taken very little notice since January.

She said ... "... that Coyle bloke really must have been rubbish, mustn't he !?"

She never said anything (that I noticed anyway) about Megson.

I think that's ended the debate, here at the Big Top at least..
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:30 pm

Even she couldn't bear to mention his name eh, bobo?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:14 pm

Fairly simple for me. One took us down a division and could quite possibly have had us competing with Wolves this season. The other never got the chance to do that.

There was some marginally better football, under Coyle for a short period, which in no way outweighs the fact he took us down one division, signed some utter dogshit and was working tirelessly to take us down another.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:17 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Fairly simple for me. One took us down a division and could quite possibly have had us competing with Wolves this season. The other never got the chance to do that.

There was some marginally better football, under Coyle for a short period, which in no way outweighs the fact he took us down one division, signed some utter dogshit and was working tirelessly to take us down another.
Yep, one was sacked for rumbling along in a season at ~1ppg in the premiership.

The other sacked for rumbling along in a season at ~1ppg in the championship.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:50 pm

Only the club management know why, the same ones who you support with Eason chucking the euro cup.

They sacked megson as they knew we would be doing a wolves, we would probably be div 3 and looking at non league if he was still here. Thank Christ they pulled the trigger before he did ruin us.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:58 pm

jaffka wrote:Only the club management know why, the same ones who you support with Eason chucking the euro cup.

They sacked megson as they knew we would be doing a wolves, we would probably be div 3 and looking at non league if he was still here. Thank Christ they pulled the trigger before he did ruin us.
Only one of the two actually took us into the realms of the position of Wolves currently and it certainly wasn't Megson.

The rest us all idle speculation and opinion.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:01 pm

Is it not easier to say that both were shite and both had us heading downwards?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:30 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:Is it not easier to say that both were shite and both had us heading downwards?
yes, it would.. but don't hold your breath!!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:33 pm

Not on my watch bish.

Coffeymagic deserves the Nobel prize for literature for his succint summing up of the situation.

Megson? What an absolute bellcheese sniffer.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:03 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:Is it not easier to say that both were shite and both had us heading downwards?
Each had some initial success and then tanked big time. Megson would have taken us down, Coyle did. Megson embarrassed us in Europe, Coyle embarrassed us at Wembley. Ultimately neither was good enough to emulated Big Sam, though both may have been ethically sounder (or not). Megson though is a whiner, Coyle is not.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:07 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Each had some initial success and then tanked big time. Megson would have taken us down, Coyle did. Megson embarrassed us in Europe, Coyle embarrassed us at Wembley. Ultimately neither was good enough to emulated Big Sam, though both may have been ethically sounder (or not). Megson though is a whiner, Coyle is not.

1)Bollocks (to) Uncle Monty! He may well have done, but to say he would have done when he was sacked in December with us very much in contention is very much making a decision and then judging circumstances to fit. There are plenty sticks to beat him with, there is no need to invent any.

2) I'm not sure Megson embarrassed us in Europe. We got a point away in Munich, beat Atletico over two legs, and lost to a decent in unspectacular side in Lisbon, who were at around the same level as the Marseilles team who beat us two years previously. I don't remember other fans ever mocking us, and I don't remember feeling the need to 'justify' our performances in Europe. What got people wasn't the embarrassment, but the sense of real opportunity, particularly given we lost the next game anyway. Lisbon lost in the next round to bloody Rangers, who got to the final. There was a frustration that that could have been us, in a European final. People, understandably, thought, what's the point of the whole shebang if you play all season to get in Europe, and then throw it away without having a go.

As it happens, I don't blame Megson for that; it's the state of football that incentivises staying in the Premiership more than winning a trophy. Of course, in hindsight, we lost to Wigan anyway, and there is no guarantee that we'd have gone down had we stayed in Europe, but I at least understood where that decision came from.

I could never work up the energy to hate Megson. I didn't want him, he took as backwards, he spent a lot of cash, and I think he probably (although I don't think that season, purely supposition) would have taken us down eventually. The worst bit was the fans split into two (if not three groups) with the defenders v the haters. You saw grown men furious at another bloke who happened to manage their football team and came across as a bit of a dick, and you saw a side of good players playing football with no invention and without being able to defend particularly well. All this mere months after being a top 8 side. Was bad.

Coyle on the other hand did embarrass us at Wembley. I still shudder when I think of that, and it often comes up when folk find out you're a Bolton fan. People remember it. That said, it's far from the thing I blame him most for. Partly, I think because I couldn't go - devastated at the time, relieved now; but, mainly, I think it's because he got us there. I was at Wigan away when there were more of us than them, and Brum away which was out of this world. Two fantastic away days, and surely being hammered in an FA cup semi is better than not being in one? Nah, I think Coyle was even worse than Megson, but very, very few of my reasons for that come from before and including Wembley.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:02 am

This thread is like asking - What do you like best a pile of poo or a pile of sick?

There is no right answer.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:12 am

Coyle's 'legacy' could still come back to haunt us though. How many of the players who couldn't keep us up in the Prem are currently trying to get us back into it?

Are there many on contracts that will keep them at the club? Who will want to sign some of the duck eggs who need shifting out?

Dougie's certainly got his work cut out either way.

Phil Neal or Megson? Now THERE'S a question.
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:16 am

coffeymagic wrote:Coyle's 'legacy' could still come back to haunt us though. How many of the players who couldn't keep us up in the Prem are currently trying to get us back into it?

Are there many on contracts that will keep them at the club? Who will want to sign some of the duck eggs who need shifting out?

Dougie's certainly got his work cut out either way.

Phil Neal or Megson? Now THERE'S a question.
Now go onto General Banter and give us your opinion on Dog Owners.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:01 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
coffeymagic wrote:]

Done.
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:12 am

coffeymagic wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
coffeymagic wrote:]

Done.
Aw, and I'd already set one up...
Lost Leopard spot wrote:
coffeymagic wrote: us getting the artifical grass put down (the current leader).

If you'd also like to start threads on SGE, David Beckham, Soap Operas and dog owners I will be pleased to offer you my one sided opinions on those.
uh-oh. I have a nasty feeling about this. Thread about to be launched...
it's here > viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24601
And I was correct to have a bad feeling...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:51 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
jaffka wrote:Only the club management know why, the same ones who you support with Eason chucking the euro cup.

Only one of the two actually took us into the realms of the position of Wolves currently and it certainly wasn't Megson.

The board recognised the need to get rid or face irreversible damage, that's why they sacked megson.

As for the speculation I trust that you will have learnt a lesson and now refrain from hyperbole and spouting as much shite like you do as fact :wink:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:01 am

jaffka wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

The board recognised the need to get rid or face irreversible damage, that's why they sacked megson.

As for the speculation I trust that you will have learnt a lesson and now refrain from hyperbole and spouting as much shite like you do as fact :wink:
Did they? And how do you know that? Cos Gartside himself said that Megson was on a points target that failing to beat Hull meant he missed which is why he went.

Actually very similar to Coyle in terms of the reasoning laid out, only a division higher.