The Debt.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Debt.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:12 pm

It's arguable, considering profane primarily means secular or non-religious. I suppose he was being sacrilegious about our faith, but there's been too many wars fought over clashing belief systems and, let's face it, he's got problems enough.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:18 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:It's arguable, considering profane primarily means secular or non-religious. I suppose he was being sacrilegious about our faith, but there's been too many wars fought over clashing belief systems and, let's face it, he's got problems enough.
Indeed, I did leave it for a laugh.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:23 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:It's arguable, considering profane primarily means secular or non-religious. I suppose he was being sacrilegious about our faith, but there's been too many wars fought over clashing belief systems and, let's face it, he's got problems enough.
I take your point, just haven't seen much evidence of faith hereabouts lately. :wink:

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:30 pm

Lets face it, he has probably been waiting an awful long time to get the opportunity to ridicule us. I think we probably deserve it after all the stick the ex-bucket shakers have had in recent years.

I also think we will need to develop a really thick skin before this is finally resolved.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:32 pm

Enoch wrote:
I take your point, just haven't seen much evidence of faith hereabouts lately. :wink:
True dat, but real faith should be strong enough to cope with serious questioning rather than dogmatic line-toeing. Maybe BL3 is a modern Martin Luther...

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:22 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Enoch wrote:
True dat, but real faith should be strong enough to cope with serious questioning rather than dogmatic line-toeing. Maybe BL3 is a modern Martin Luther...
I hadn't thought of it in those terms.

"...That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perish, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Phil Gartside."

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:49 pm

shakerchris wrote:
See you in League One soon folks, if you still have a club that is!

luv and kisses from all at JD

shitload of grammar mistakes in that ^ post

"in" you mean "from"

"league one" you mean "conference north"

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:58 pm

Thanks to the bucket shaker for further reinforcing my decision to not put any money in the collections that were held.

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:11 am

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/ ... 93593.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A good little article here about our financial problems.
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:16 am

Riviman wrote:http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/ ... 93593.html

It's an interesting article but I wonder how the writer is so sure about players' wages... especially when he says Zat's on a three-year contract when it's only two. (That sort of information IS in the public domain.)

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:28 am

It's an interesting article but I wonder how the writer is so sure about players' wages... especially when he says Zat's on a three-year contract when it's only two. (That sort of information IS in the public domain.)

Indulging in a touch of Schadenfreude there isn't he?

Boo Hoo. Bolton fans called me names. Sob. I know, I'll get them back by telling them they're paying too much in wages for underperforming players.

No shit Image

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:33 am

And £1.8m of the £163m debt would not be "a small drop in a vast ocean". It would be around 1% - not much, admittedly, but it's not much of an ocean if there's only 100 drops in it.

Sorry, I can't help it, I work with words for a living. I often come across them being mistreated.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:34 am

Article isn't far wrong. A bit self-indulgent about Megson and overstates the case a bit. But generally it is correct. Allardyce brought in good players for a while without spending much at all, but most were older players enjoying an Indian summer in their careers without real longevity or sell on value. Then towards the end he spent a bit more money but did still at least, on the whole bring in good players and in Anelka one with massive sell on value. Megson was more mixed, spent more than I think the club should have, but in general the players were of a good enough standard to sustain a premiership side albeit one with relatively modest ambitions. Coyle spent money unwisely on players who were generally not what was needed for the premiership alongside a smattering of decent loans and one excellent free. But overall the actual transfer fees paid have turned out to be atrocious investments. His use of the wage budget even worse. And now we are in debt for a whole combination of those reasons stretching right back to Allardyce's relative short term plan, through Megson's steady but dangerous overspend to Coyle's lack of judgement and generous handing out of fat contracts.

ratters
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ratters » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:58 am

The common factor in this total mess is Phil Gartside. Can anyone think of a chief executive who has presided over a £160m debt on a £28m turnover, appointed four poor managers and has kept his job with a huge salary and bonuses.
How did Eddie run a successful business when he allows incompetents like this in charge of them!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:18 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:And £1.8m of the £163m debt would not be "a small drop in a vast ocean". It would be around 1% - not much, admittedly, but it's not much of an ocean if there's only 100 drops in it.

Sorry, I can't help it, I work with words for a living. I often come across them being mistreated.
I see what you mean, "a vast drop in a small ocean" is much more proportionate :D
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:27 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:And £1.8m of the £163m debt would not be "a small drop in a vast ocean". It would be around 1% - not much, admittedly, but it's not much of an ocean if there's only 100 drops in it.

I see what you mean, "a vast drop in a small ocean" is much more proportionate :D

1% of the oceans would represent something like 32,600,000,000,000,000,000 gallons... which is a mere trifle!

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:39 pm

thebish wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

1% of the oceans would represent something like 32,600,000,000,000,000,000 gallons... which is a mere trifle!
I don't think I could drink that much in tap water let alone sea water. :) .
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:02 pm

jaffka wrote:Thanks to the bucket shaker for further reinforcing my decision to not put any money in the collections that were held.
i just wanted to quote this.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:03 pm

Can I tell that Bury fan to feck off now?
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:47 pm

ratters wrote:The common factor in this total mess is Phil Gartside. Can anyone think of a chief executive who has presided over a £160m debt on a £28m turnover, appointed four poor managers and has kept his job with a huge salary and bonuses.
How did Eddie run a successful business when he allows incompetents like this in charge of them!

To be fair, he's also presided over one of the most successful periods in the club's history.