Xpro

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Re: Xpro

Post by Gudnib » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:22 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote: so have most people on here, if not all. in fact - folk on here have been saying that for longer than a year!! keep up Nixon!
I haven't seen many on here genuinely talking about the club going out of business. Or perhaps those that did were roundly laughed off (I'd have been laughing them off as well).

I can guarantee that if I'd posted the tweets he made earlier this season you'd have been saying he was just "sensationalising" or some such.
The bit I'm confused about is the element of surprise you want to lay at ED's door. Given the 2014 Accounts identified a shortfall and we put in place various loans to cover the fact, I think the surprise is that these loans didn't cover the shortfall (not that the shortfall was a surprise). Given this should have bern known in July at the latest, someone needs to explain how we continued to sign players after that, if we knew there was going to be a gap...
We're agreeing I think. I'm not laying the element of surprise at ED's door. Just that inspite of the extra loans and land sale we are still unable to operate.

And with you on the signing players thing. We were still trying to sign players just a couple of weeks back (until suddenly Lennon was told no with a deal very advanced).
If I get time I'll do a spreadsheet showing the losses and growing debt i.e. ED's funding.
It seems clear though that the board initially had a strategy of trying to break even but that strategy went out of the window when Big Sam walked out of the door. After that it was all about trying to maintain Premiership status, eventually failing but trying unsuccessfully to get back up. Then it was trying to stop us falling further down the slippery slope whilst trying to sell the club as a 'going concern'.
The much derided Gary Megson was the only one to achieve the objective set out but it was pretty dire stuff and few tears were shed when, largely through supporters pressure, he was replaced by Owen Coyle.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:38 am

Gudnib wrote:
If I get time I'll do a spreadsheet showing the losses and growing debt i.e. ED's funding.
It seems clear though that the board initially had a strategy of trying to break even but that strategy went out of the window when Big Sam walked out of the door. After that it was all about trying to maintain Premiership status, eventually failing but trying unsuccessfully to get back up. Then it was trying to stop us falling further down the slippery slope whilst trying to sell the club as a 'going concern'.
The much derided Gary Megson was the only one to achieve the objective set out but it was pretty dire stuff and few tears were shed when, largely through supporters pressure, he was replaced by Owen Coyle.
I agree. I think it is important not to consider spending in isolation. I believe that spending just started going up and to compete in the premiership meant spending more and more and more. The market Sam had exploited was just no longer there, which is why subsequent to Bolton he was simply paying big money for the likes of Alan Smith etc.....

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:54 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Gudnib wrote:
I agree. I think it is important not to consider spending in isolation. I believe that spending just started going up and to compete in the premiership meant spending more and more and more. The market Sam had exploited was just no longer there, which is why subsequent to Bolton he was simply paying big money for the likes of Alan Smith etc.....
That's right. It was more and more difficult to acquire players, for example of Djorkaeff quality, but the club made a big splurge on Nicolas Anelka in Sam'sfinal year. I'll need to try and check on how it was funded but I think it came partly from bank borrowing guaranteed by ED and by ED paying £3.5million for the naming rights of the academy. The £3.5 million turned a small loss into a small profit.