Must be nearly Xmas when Slade turns up. Cardiff (H) 05/12

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Re: Must be nearly Xmas when Slade turns up. Cardiff (H) 05/

Post by General Mannerheim » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:50 am

:lol: *hashtag

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:30 pm

As an aside, was it just me that was totally, utterly convinced that a long-range Cardiff effort on about 35m was a goal ? I was staggered when their players didn't celebrate and Amos took a goalkick.

I guess it depends where you were sat but ...
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:31 pm

:lol: I dunno. If they tried #handbags, we might get a few more.

@Bobo, I thought it was in too...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:39 pm

Worthy4England wrote::lol: I dunno. If they tried #handbags, we might get a few more.

@Bobo, I thought it was in too...
The Tower commentator was convinced it was.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:33 pm

a hearty dose of if-onlies....
NEIL Lennon has revealed that he got the opportunity to sign Cardiff goal-scorer Tony Watt, a fortnight before he sunk his Wanderers side at the Macron.
The former Celtic striker, who scored for Lennon as his team famously beat Barcelona 2-1 at Parkhead in 2012, was made available by Charlton Athletic in the loan window.
That coincided with Lennon being told he had no money at all to spend on signings by vice-chairman Brett Warburton, after which the financial meltdown became public at Wanderers.
Watt sent Cardiff on their way to a 3-2 victory and put in a man of the match for the Bluebirds, who go sixth in the Championship.
And his performance left Lennon cursing what might have been had the deal cropped up at a better time for his club.
“I could have had Tony Watt – Charlton offered him to us and we couldn’t afford to pay him,” he told The Bolton News.
“His wages weren’t massive. And if Tony would have been playing on the other side of the pitch today we would have won the game.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:35 pm

also, lenny says..
"I am scratching my head as to how we lost the game. I don't know how many times I've had to do that this season.

"But If you miss simple chances then you are going to give yourself a problem. Games in the Championship are about both boxes and we didn't do well enough in both boxes defensively or attacking wise.
"Three goals we conceded were schoolboy goals; basic defending not done properly. But we hammered them in terms of chances in front of goal."
i think he might have gone on to comprehensively answer his own question! no real puzzle there, lenny! :D

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:00 pm

Going off the highlights, their first goal was a gift from our defence and their second was directly down to Casado who didn't challenge and let the man run past him. It should have been long over by then but for our pathetic finishing.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:50 pm

still - "we hammered them in terms of chances in front of goal." that has to be worth something?

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:27 pm

I didn't know we missed out on signing Tony Watt. Massive shame, he's a very good player at this level. Scored against us in pre-season for Charlton too. I'm surprised they let him go.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:27 pm

I very much doubt Watt would ever play for Lennon again, especially for un 'massive' wages.

Plus there's probably a very good reason why Charlton wanted rid.

A shame, on both counts, as he does know where the net is.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:32 pm

no Enoch - Lenny says he was as good as ours! it must be true - and we'd have won the game - so there!

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Aye.

There is that.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:41 pm

Maybe Lennon's just saying that it might have tipped the balance if we had 12 players to their 10.

Actually, Cardiff might have done better that way than if they'd taken on barndoor-savers like Machine, Dobbin and England's Emile Heskey.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:48 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Maybe Lennon's just saying that it might have tipped the balance if we had 12 players to their 10.
:D

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:20 pm

So a certain t.watt was the difference between us losing and drawing! Personally I thought we had 10 t.watts playing for us!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:25 pm

jonnycooper wrote:So a certain t.watt was the difference between us losing and drawing! Personally I thought we had 10 t.watts playing for us!

bravo! :oyea:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:10 pm

Was too fed up to post. It's true to say out general play was pretty decent, but when Dobbie and heskey miss like they did and the defence parts to allow easy goals, I can't agree that we didn't deserve to lose. Playing well and losing has relegation written all over it. Let's hope the new people come in and stabilise things. Can't see Lennon staying. I'll be sad to see him fail but there's no way he can turn this round. Unlikely anyone else can either but new owners can't allow this to continue.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:51 pm

Oh, and another thing. Regarding our scouting, or lack thereof, and all this talk about us being in a difficult catchment area - scorer of Cardiff's winner on Saturday, Anthony Pilkington, used to play for Atherton cunting Colliers, so who was keeping tabs on him then? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:29 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Oh, and another thing. Regarding our scouting, or lack thereof, and all this talk about us being in a difficult catchment area - scorer of Cardiff's winner on Saturday, Anthony Pilkington, used to play for Atherton cunting Colliers, so who was keeping tabs on him then? :conf:
We probably did. He'd have been one of those players we'd have scoffed at not long ago but now would beg to play for us.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:53 pm

TBF, Bruce, he was released by Yernited then Blackburn, spending less than six months at Colls before being signed by Stockport (when they were still a league team, and indeed getting promoted). We were fishing in different ponds: he signed for them three months after we bought Anelka, and presumably the month before the big argument between Sam and Eddie.

Credit to him, he's done well since, although I think a few folk were surprised when newly-promoted Norwich bought him in 2011.