If carlsberg did transfer threads.....This would be it!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: If carlsberg did transfer threads.....This would be it!

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:56 pm

However if Dobbie is on more than eidur was offered I'd have a big problem with that.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:59 pm

Dobbie won't be on more than Eidur was offered.

Marc Iles said a while back that Eidur wanted Y but was offered X. Basically, he wanted more than he had been on last season.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:00 pm

boltonboris wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:As ever, Lennon claims a player has signed but the club hasn't confirmed it. Given recent history he will be signed up this time next week.....
I read on twitter (a lad that generally seems to have an ear to the ground) that the club have offered terms that haven't been accepted by the player and Lennon is talking about him signing, to ensure the club conclude it and save face

If it doesn't happen, it could have pretty serious consequences if it's true
Sounds like bollocks to be honest. You just never know, but as it is a loan deal the agreement is between Bolton and his club as to who covers what part of his wages.

The player will be paid the same regardless.

Suspect it will be international clearance that holds it up, but it took a week to sign three players who had been training all summer.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:00 pm

LeverEnd wrote:However if Dobbie is on more than eidur was offered I'd have a big problem with that.
That should be if dobbie is on what eidur is on at his new club, because that's why eidur left, to get more money.

In any case this is all bollocks, we have dobbie. Let's see what he can do.

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:01 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
StaffsTrotter wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I hope Dobbie does well and I wish him all the best - he's adaptable, keen and has done OK in this division before - but it's a fatuous comparison and very unfair on him. He's not even a poundshop Eidur.
so I take it you'd rather have had the soon to be 37 year old Eidur ?
You take it wrong, me ol' pottery-Trotter. I've said since April that Eidur's wage would be better spent elsewhere, but Dobbie wouldn't have been my first choice. I'm hoping his wage is negligible, and likesay I've nowt against the bloke, but it's an unfair comparison.
He only said that type of player. From what I've seen Dobbie looks like he can do similar to what Eidur was doing for us last season - perhaps with not the same class but better legs. (I've said this previously which is why I'm defending NLs right to repeat me :box: )Theres a lot of competition for the No10, so guessing he won't usually be in the 1st XI but brought on as a gamechanger (in a good way hopefully)

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:04 pm

Also Lennon isn't anywhere near to where duggie was in regards to pissing the fans off.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:08 pm

The replacement for Eidur is Clough, or possibly Mark Davies. Dobbie is welcome as a squad-bolsterer – as you say, an option from the bench (wise, old, canny) – but wouldn't be in many fans' first XIs.

Lennon is unwise to make the comparison (and it is undoubtedly a comparison: "We lost Eidur so we were looking for that type of player and Stephen can fill that void"). It doesn't help the player and frankly it doesn't help the manager.

He's a long way ahead of Freedman's PR and I hope to God he always will be, but there's been some worrying quotes recently (this, the one about not practising set-pieces) of the kind that would rightly have got Freedman pilloried.

Maybe Lennon's always been like this but has had more forgiveness from fans of a winning team. I hope we get back to being a winning team, and I hope Dobbie helps that.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:20 pm

I don't think there is anything wrong with his quote about Eidur and Dobbie.

What is he going to say? "We needed to fill Eidur's void, but unfortunately we couldn't do that. Still, we got Dobbie in like."

Dobbie is not a bad player at all, and although Eidur had his moments last year he's definitely beyond his best.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:20 pm

do you have a link to where he said the 'not practising set pieces' bit, DSB?
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:22 pm

Jugs wrote:I don't think there is anything wrong with his quote about Eidur and Dobbie.

What is he going to say? "We needed to fill Eidur's void, but unfortunately we couldn't do that. Still, we got Dobbie in like."

Dobbie is not a bad player at all, and although Eidur had his moments last year he's definitely beyond his best.
Just say 'I'm glad we've got dobbie in and i'm sure he'll add to the squad' or something. There was no need to compare him with Eidur, someone who has been at the club and loved in two separate spells over a decade apart. It just adds pressure to him, sets up expectations among fans and comes across as a bit naive.

Ah well, football tomorrow!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:29 pm

Lennon wrote:Pratley is fit again and that’s like having a new signing.

ahhh - that old chestnut! I had expected Plymouth to be wheeling that one out soon! :lol:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:31 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:do you have a link to where he said the 'not practising set pieces' bit, DSB?
2'53" in this video post-Port Vale. Hopefully we've had some productive work there since. (Not at Port Vale, nowt good happens there.)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:36 pm

thebish wrote:
ahhh - that old chestnut! I had expected Plymouth to be wheeling that one out soon! :lol:
Heh. But I agree with him. If Pratlistuta can play like he did under Lennon as opposed to the previous two burks, he'll be a hell of an improvement. I think there's more hope in the return of Clayton, who had only showed (exciting) glimpses of his potential in a team at the top of its game, like the Cardiff home match where we played a Riochesque half-hour of foe-flattening football. But I maintain that we're not far off a good matchday squad, if only we could get Spearing and Medo off the books and add another full-back, winger and striker.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:55 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:do you have a link to where he said the 'not practising set pieces' bit, DSB?
2'53" in this video post-Port Vale. Hopefully we've had some productive work there since. (Not at Port Vale, nowt good happens there.)

to be fair he does say they were going to work on that kind of stuff after that, though two weeks before the season might be pushing it slightly.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:02 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:to be fair he does say they were going to work on that kind of stuff after that, though two weeks before the season might be pushing it slightly.
Well, quite. Hear that thunder? It's Allardyce grumbling... :D

Likesay, hopefully it's all been sorted since and we'll lead the league in "most goals scored from set pieces" and "fewest goals conceded from set-pieces"

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:06 pm

Does set pieces include both defending and attacking or does it refer to us taking set pieces and against is coming in the defensive aspect of training?

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:08 pm

thebish wrote:
Heh. But I agree with him. If Pratlistuta can play like he did under Lennon as opposed to the previous two burks, he'll be a hell of an improvement. I think there's more hope in the return of Clayton, who had only showed (exciting) glimpses of his potential in a team at the top of its game, like the Cardiff home match where we played a Riochesque half-hour of foe-flattening football. But I maintain that we're not far off a good matchday squad, if only we could get Spearing and Medo off the books and add another full-back, winger and striker.

Aye. People forget aswell. Pratters weren't the only one who was transformed when Lennon came in!! Dannys and pratters were destroyers at the start of Lennon's reign. Pratley got injured and Danns was lost! Think the flack Danna got last season was a little unjustified!

If those 2 can kick on were they left it....... We'll be alright
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:14 pm

jaffka wrote:Does set pieces include both defending and attacking or does it refer to us taking set pieces and against is coming in the defensive aspect of training?
Depends on the manager and coaching-staff set-up, I s'pose.
plymouth wanderer wrote:Aye. People forget aswell. Pratters weren't the only one who was transformed when Lennon came in!! Dannys and pratters were destroyers at the start of Lennon's reign. Pratley got injured and Danns was lost! Think the flack Danna got last season was a little unjustified!

If those 2 can kick on were they left it....... We'll be alright
I like Danns and think he can do a job in a couple of positions, especially given the workload Lennon demanded of his midfielders when we were at our best last season, but again he wouldn't be in my preferred XI. I'd like to see Vela alongside Pratlinho, with the more attacking midfield roles rotated between Clough, Davies, the new winger, Clayton and Feeney (and possibly Dobbie).

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:17 pm

jaffka wrote:Does set pieces include both defending and attacking or does it refer to us taking set pieces and against is coming in the defensive aspect of training?
Depends on the manager and coaching-staff set-up, I s'pose.
So people might be getting their knickers in a twist for nowt then.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:27 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:As ever, Lennon claims a player has signed but the club hasn't confirmed it. Given recent history he will be signed up this time next week.....
I read on twitter (a lad that generally seems to have an ear to the ground) that the club have offered terms that haven't been accepted by the player and Lennon is talking about him signing, to ensure the club conclude it and save face

If it doesn't happen, it could have pretty serious consequences if it's true
Sounds like bollocks to be honest. You just never know, but as it is a loan deal the agreement is between Bolton and his club as to who covers what part of his wages.

The player will be paid the same regardless.

Suspect it will be international clearance that holds it up, but it took a week to sign three players who had been training all summer.

Just seen the teams training pics today. The prince is in the building!
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience