Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Post by TonyDomingos » Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:53 pm

Derry City are out of the Europa Conference League. Toal played 84 mins. PSG at around 5pm on Monday?
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:32 am

In news that I can only imagine has gladdened the heart of Insano, we’ve confirmed the signing of Eric Yoro from University College Dublin.

6ft nothing B team centre back for whom we’ve apparently paid a small fee for, so ticks all the boxes for BWFCi 😂

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:05 am

TonyDomingos wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:53 pm
Derry City are out of the Europa Conference League. Toal played 84 mins. PSG at around 5pm on Monday?
Derry to Paris would be a hell of a move, fair play.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:37 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:56 pm
Long hot Wanderersless summers lead the mind to seize on any half-topic, and one that occurs is squad numbers. Not player totals; the actual numbers on their backs.

After a couple of big-churn summers it should be relatively peaceful up at the small end. Indeed, with settled players at 2 (Geth), 3 (Dec), 4 (MJ), 5 Rico), 6 (Johnston), 8 (Sheehan), 9 (Bod), 10 (Dion) and 11 (Baka), there’s only two of Yer Classic 1-11 available.

Top of the shop is No.1, with Gilks having retired. Probably being offered to Traffic, who would presumably love to have a low squad number – he was a faintly ludicrous 85 in Citeh’s squad, which keeps academy players in the 50+ numbers. (It will be interesting to see if we adopt a similar thing with our B team.) Traf took 1 at Accy, who for some reason haven’t had a permanent No.1 since summer 2020, so I dare say he’d be happy to take it again.

The other biggie is 7, vacated by Delf at five to midnight on deadline day. The obvious fit for that number is Sadlier, who changed down to 7 from a higher squad number at both Donny and Rotherham. I guess Dapo could ask for it, or possibly Dempsey. Demps wore 8 at Gills and Fleetwood but with Sheehan in situ, he chose 32 – his first squad number at Carlisle, although he then moved in to 22, the number he also took at Huddersfield. That would become vacant again if Sadlier shifts to 7.

13 and 14 have been vacated by loanees Fossey and Amaechi. 13 isn’t to everyone’s taste – only five Wanderers outfielders have claimed it, ranging from Djorkaeff down through Jardel and Beardsley all the way to Gope-Fenepej. I wonder if it might appeal to Iredale, who was 3 at Cambridge and Carlisle, as “next best” if he isn’t superstitious.

14 is a much more beloved number thanks to your Cruyffs and Henrys. I kinda expect it to be given to a loanee, although presumably only if Evatt isn’t superstitious: he’s previously given it to three loanees, Tom White, Marcus Maddison and Amaechi, who frankly failed to match expectation.

After the occupied 15-18 (Aimson, Morley, Dapo, Tutte) you’ve got Trafford’s vacated 19, which feels like a sub striker’s number (Amoateng, Faal, Tyler Walker, Max Clayton, Heskey, Sordell, Rodrigo, Delroy Facey) but presumably wouldn’t be unless we get yet another forward. (Side note: Baka’s 11 is the first time he’s had a 1-11 squad number, even in lower divisions.)

Brocky vacated 21, which (perhaps because of the 1) feels a lot “closer in” than say 22 let alone 32. Someone like Ronan Darcy might fancy that, but whether he can have it is another question. As hypothesised, 7-bound Sadlier could leave 22 to Dempsey, which would tidy things up a little. After 23-25 (Izzy, Sacha, Thomo) you’ve then got a tranche of freed-up numbers – 26-29, freed by Edwards, Baps, Comley and Gordon - but like I say it might be that we give B-teamers say 30-50, a zone already occupied by Senior (34), Hutch (40), Tweedley (42), Lockett (44), Conway (47), Henry (48) and Pettifer (49).

Anyway, passed the time awhile.
Squad numbers confirmed. https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... 3-24500721

• We have no number 1 - Traf keeps his 19 from last time, Dixon sticks with 12
• Sads in from 22 to 7
• Demps in from 32 to 22
• Iredale takes 14
• Bradley takes 21
• Tutte vacates 18
• 13 still open too

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:44 pm

Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:37 pm
Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:56 pm
Long hot Wanderersless summers lead the mind to seize on any half-topic, and one that occurs is squad numbers. Not player totals; the actual numbers on their backs.

After a couple of big-churn summers it should be relatively peaceful up at the small end. Indeed, with settled players at 2 (Geth), 3 (Dec), 4 (MJ), 5 Rico), 6 (Johnston), 8 (Sheehan), 9 (Bod), 10 (Dion) and 11 (Baka), there’s only two of Yer Classic 1-11 available.

Top of the shop is No.1, with Gilks having retired. Probably being offered to Traffic, who would presumably love to have a low squad number – he was a faintly ludicrous 85 in Citeh’s squad, which keeps academy players in the 50+ numbers. (It will be interesting to see if we adopt a similar thing with our B team.) Traf took 1 at Accy, who for some reason haven’t had a permanent No.1 since summer 2020, so I dare say he’d be happy to take it again.

The other biggie is 7, vacated by Delf at five to midnight on deadline day. The obvious fit for that number is Sadlier, who changed down to 7 from a higher squad number at both Donny and Rotherham. I guess Dapo could ask for it, or possibly Dempsey. Demps wore 8 at Gills and Fleetwood but with Sheehan in situ, he chose 32 – his first squad number at Carlisle, although he then moved in to 22, the number he also took at Huddersfield. That would become vacant again if Sadlier shifts to 7.

13 and 14 have been vacated by loanees Fossey and Amaechi. 13 isn’t to everyone’s taste – only five Wanderers outfielders have claimed it, ranging from Djorkaeff down through Jardel and Beardsley all the way to Gope-Fenepej. I wonder if it might appeal to Iredale, who was 3 at Cambridge and Carlisle, as “next best” if he isn’t superstitious.

14 is a much more beloved number thanks to your Cruyffs and Henrys. I kinda expect it to be given to a loanee, although presumably only if Evatt isn’t superstitious: he’s previously given it to three loanees, Tom White, Marcus Maddison and Amaechi, who frankly failed to match expectation.

After the occupied 15-18 (Aimson, Morley, Dapo, Tutte) you’ve got Trafford’s vacated 19, which feels like a sub striker’s number (Amoateng, Faal, Tyler Walker, Max Clayton, Heskey, Sordell, Rodrigo, Delroy Facey) but presumably wouldn’t be unless we get yet another forward. (Side note: Baka’s 11 is the first time he’s had a 1-11 squad number, even in lower divisions.)

Brocky vacated 21, which (perhaps because of the 1) feels a lot “closer in” than say 22 let alone 32. Someone like Ronan Darcy might fancy that, but whether he can have it is another question. As hypothesised, 7-bound Sadlier could leave 22 to Dempsey, which would tidy things up a little. After 23-25 (Izzy, Sacha, Thomo) you’ve then got a tranche of freed-up numbers – 26-29, freed by Edwards, Baps, Comley and Gordon - but like I say it might be that we give B-teamers say 30-50, a zone already occupied by Senior (34), Hutch (40), Tweedley (42), Lockett (44), Conway (47), Henry (48) and Pettifer (49).

Anyway, passed the time awhile.
Squad numbers confirmed. https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... 3-24500721

• We have no number 1 - Traf keeps his 19 from last time, Dixon sticks with 12
• Sads in from 22 to 7
• Demps in from 32 to 22
• Iredale takes 14
• Bradley takes 21
• Tutte vacates 18
• 13 still open too
You were just about spot on with your predictions DSB. Well done!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:03 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:44 pm
You were just about spot on with your predictions DSB. Well done!
Meh, halfish right - got the Sadlier/Demps thing right but I was let down by Iredale being too superstitious to take 13 and Traf sticking to 19....

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:44 pm

Some clips of Eric Toro playing for UCD in Ireland this season. I didn’t really clock when we signed him just how young he is - he only turned 18 in February :shock:

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:09 am

Love it - a Santos junior!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:21 am

brommers95 wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:44 pm
Some clips of Eric Toro playing for UCD in Ireland this season. I didn’t really clock when we signed him just how young he is - he only turned 18 in February :shock:

My ageing eyes can’t tell - is that last a left-foot dink? If he’s got the confidence and ability to pick a pass that long with either foot, I shall be very happy.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:26 am

Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:21 am
brommers95 wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:44 pm

My ageing eyes can’t tell - is that last a left-foot dink? If he’s got the confidence and ability to pick a pass that long with either foot, I shall be very happy.
It is yes 👍🏻

He’s an intriguing prospect and probably the one I’m most interested to see develop out of the B Team lads.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:31 am

All that on a centre back and he didn't head it once. BWFC-I will be livid.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:00 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:31 am
All that on a centre back and he didn't head it once. BWFC-I will be livid.

No goals either. Evatt out.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:53 am

I’m actually quite positive about this B team experiment. It sounds as though we’ve bought a few in who could give us useful depth for the cups straight away, then hopefully develop into real assets down the line.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:40 am

The_Gun wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:53 am
I’m actually quite positive about this B team experiment. It sounds as though we’ve bought a few in who could give us useful depth for the cups straight away, then hopefully develop into real assets down the line.
Same. Sadly, the idea of us simply being able to grow all our own from seed simply doesn't work.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:59 am

The_Gun wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:53 am
A very wise word. Assets on the field and the balance sheet.

All clubs are trading clubs.For a long time Big Sixers wouldn't sell 'down' to each other but Man City have obviously decided that they're fine with it, flogging Jesus to Arsenal and Sterling (possibly Ake too) to Chelsea; they'd rather get the money from abroad but the EPL is now getting so powerful that only a few can afford to buy from it. Meanwhile, Rich Jolly wrote a piece the other day about how Liverpool help to fund their major signings by selling squad players for £15m.
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:40 am
Sadly, the idea of us simply being able to grow all our own from seed simply doesn't work.
Aye. All clubs hire potential assets at various ages. United Class of 92 blah blah but they also acquired John O'Shea and Darron Gibson at 17. The idea that we have to nurture them from the egg is not just misguided, it's foolish when they can then be bought off you for comparative buttons.

Meanwhile, the youth funnel gets ever more vicious and decent players are cast out: nobody's complaining about hiring Dapo. The job is to find the potential, bring it out, and either use it or sell it (or both).

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:31 pm

I think Yoro was a midfielder until very recently, possibly even an attacking midfielder.

I didn't realise he was quite so young either and the fact we paid a fee for him, however nominal, suggests we must have seen something worth pursuing.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:12 pm

Given the last 10 pages (didn't count 'em) have been about squad numbers and unknown B teamers. Everyone think we're good to go? I would still like one or two more, CB and either MF or 10.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:44 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:12 pm
Given the last 10 pages (didn't count 'em) have been about squad numbers and unknown B teamers. Everyone think we're good to go? I would still like one or two more, CB and either MF or 10.
Good but perhaps not good enough.

Interesting that for today's game at Carlisle - who might tend toward the physical - he's gone with Iredale-Rico-Aimson along the back... but no "destroyer" in midfield, with Thomo/Morley/Dempsey.

I don't hate Aimson but I still think we need an upgrade at RCB – not that Gethin's bad at all, but a bigger lad for competition/option. Further forward, I'd take a genius but I don't think we're shallow now on proper quality.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:56 pm

Kevin De Bruyne, Da Silva, Paul Scholes, Luka Modric and even American women's captain,Megan Rapinoe (a better player than a lot of men) have all more or less operated as free role players wandering at will without specific duties and made it work so well(whilst making them difficult to man mark). Football today seems very regimented and role defined than ever, all diamonds and set formations.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:00 pm

Jon Bod and Baka in, Charles a sub. Gethin Jones out with a "slight Knock"
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?