Freedman out!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Freedman out!

Post by Nicko58 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:43 pm

BL3 wrote:
boltonboris wrote:QPR's player turnover has been ridiculous.. they have rebuilt. But they've been afford that luxury through a very generous and wealthy owner coupled with large parachute payments, the likes that have never been seen before.
QPR have brought in six players, we've brought in eight, not including loan signings.

We've spent £3M, they've spent £10M but their net spend is less than ours.
Net spend doesn't matter when you fish in different waters.

We didn't have the saleable assets that QPR had, and for that reason couldn't part with the best part of ten million for Matt Phillips and Charlie Austin.

Add to that the parachute payments and the money saved from the wages paid out to the high earners that have now left them and there's a significant financial difference between the two of us.

Of course, you know this....
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:51 pm

Nicko58 wrote:
BL3 wrote:
boltonboris wrote:QPR's player turnover has been ridiculous.. they have rebuilt. But they've been afford that luxury through a very generous and wealthy owner coupled with large parachute payments, the likes that have never been seen before.
QPR have brought in six players, we've brought in eight, not including loan signings.

We didn't have the saleable assets that QPR had, and for that reason couldn't part with the best part of ten million for Matt Phillips and Charlie Austin.

Add to that the parachute payments and the money saved from the wages paid out to the high earners that have now left them and there's a significant financial difference between the two of us.

How much of a 'financial difference' is there between us and the team that are currently at the top of the table?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:07 pm

^ brief reminder... he's talking about QPR because this little conversation branch is a response to SF's contrasting us with QPR, Newcastle and West Ham. given that is the context - it makes little sense to ask "yeah, but what about Burnley"...

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:30 pm

BL3 wrote:
Nicko58 wrote:
BL3 wrote:

How much of a 'financial difference' is there between us and the team that are currently at the top of the table?
There's little difference, I'd say.

It's too easy to play that game, though. Burnley don't have two of their most talented, most creative players out of action for the forseeable.

I'm not certain that Freedman is the answer either, but it's nowhere near as black and white as you make out.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:38 pm

anyway - the forum has spoken... approx 2/3 want to keep dougie, 1/3 want to sack him

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:24 pm

Nicko58 wrote:
BL3 wrote:
Nicko58 wrote:
BL3 wrote:

It's too easy to play that game, though. Burnley don't have two of their most talented, most creative players out of action for the forseeable.

I'm not certain that Freedman is the answer either, but it's nowhere near as black and white as you make out.
'Too easy' or just a bit too inconvenient? Burnley sold their leading scorer before the season even started. The bloke who scored almost half their goals last season. They haven't spent anything on transfer fees. They've signed half the number of players we have, all of them on free transfers, so if you think there's 'little difference' between our budget and theirs, you really haven't been paying attention.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:35 pm

BL3 wrote:Burnley sold their leading scorer before the season even started. The bloke who scored almost half their goals last season. They haven't spent anything on transfer fees.
And replaced him with Danny Ings, signed by the previous manager

Pity Freedman didn't have the same luxury..instead he's stuck with the 4 million bag of shite that is Monsieur N'Gog

Still, who is the dickhead

I'm up in 6 hours to watch him fcuk it up again

Oh aye, I'll be shocked if Burnley finish above 10th
Sto ut Serviam

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:45 am

norm the jedi wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote: I see your point, though I think the importance of spending can be overstated. Its not a guarantee of success and when you've been a Premier League side for such a long time and have a very strong squad for the league, spending isn't essential. I don't think it's a valid counter argument on its own. It'd be nice if we could have spent £10m this summer but did we need to? I don't think so, we just need a manager to get the best out of the players we have.
You continue to pedal the strong squad delusion look at the results man!
Saying it over and over again won't make it true, results are the key indicator of squad strength and ours are as plain as the nose on yer face... Strong squads of good players do not produce this return consistently ...
Spending cash on the wage bill won't guarantee success and sustainability...
It'll improve yer chances somewhat...
The average points we got whilst playing 4-4-2 would have been enough for us to finish 2nd in the division last year, had we played that way throughout the entire season. Even including the poor start under Coyle, we could still have easily finished inside the play-off spots using that formation, so it's incorrect to say that the quality isn't there and if that was the case, how would we be able to get so many points? On an individual level, we wouldn't have so many players capped internationally and with games in the Premier League if they didn't have the ability beyond what they're currently showing. The quality is there, we just need to get the best out of them. Even during our best period last year, we still showed signs of weakness that can be improved tactically, especially defensive which has always been poorly organised under Freedman.

We have no problems that a good manager couldn't fix. Like I've said before, assuming Allardyce took over right now, I think we'd get promoted. I think we would get into the play-off spots with someone like Pulis, Redknapp or Hughton too. These managers, unlike Freedman and Coyle who are both inept, know how to get the best out of their talent.

I will say though, it's hard to gauge the talent of players who are at a club with low confidence and with a useless manager guiding them, so I can understand why our players get criticised. However, you then look at Eagles last year and now; has he regressed that much? Has Spearing developed nerve damage in both legs, which is why he's nowhere near as good as last year? Losing N'Gog was a massive blow to us last year and this year, the fans are hating on him. Is that because he's an old 24 year old who reached his peak last season and will retire before he's 27? Of course not. These players are underperforming, absolutely, but there's a huge difference between underperforming and simply not being good enough. Our players are good enough, and they've proven that in their careers, but their current bad form is more of a reflection on the manager and the general mood at the club right now.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:32 am

BL3 wrote:
Nicko58 wrote:
BL3 wrote:
Nicko58 wrote:
BL3 wrote:

'Too easy' or just a bit too inconvenient? Burnley sold their leading scorer before the season even started. The bloke who scored almost half their goals last season. They haven't spent anything on transfer fees. They've signed half the number of players we have, all of them on free transfers, so if you think there's 'little difference' between our budget and theirs, you really haven't been paying attention.
Burnley are doing fantastically well. Good on them. But they're not the norm. Should Redknapp be sacked because they're not competing. We're not, by any stretch poor in this league. We're not 'rich' either. Our squad is better than the position we're in, but it's not top two either.

I'm happy sticking with a young unproven manager for a length of time, as long as it doesn't relegate us, as I think the only chance we have of getting a really good manager is to polish a rough diamond. There might come a point where we look in serious danger of relegation and so getting rid would be necessary. I don't think that's the case yet, so stick for me, and try to build something, as painful as it is right now.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:10 am

Oh Pru, you and your refusal to see it in black and white terms. That's not playing at all.

If Burnley do win the league, they'll be the first Championship winners since full records began not to have paid seven figures in agents' fees alone, according to the official Football League numbers. Last year, only the special case of Blackburn topped Cardiff's agent pay of £1.836m; in 2012, champions Reading paid £1.662m, topped only by also-promoted West Ham's £4.3m (yes, £4.3m in agents' fees); in 2011, champions QPR topped the agents pay with £1.770m; in 2010, champions Newcastle were second in agents' pay with £1.07m.

There is definitely a correlation, and I'd argue there's a strong case for causation too.

None of which means that I think Freedman is the best manager ever.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:14 am

... & Mr. Allardyce paid out 3x the amount of even the other higher spenders on agents ??

One day it'll all come out about him.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:58 am

West Ham probably paid about 4 x what everybody else on transfer fees too. Could be relative, or could be what the whole world suspects
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:25 am

boltonboris wrote:West Ham probably paid about 4 x what everybody else on transfer fees too. Could be relative, or could be what the whole world suspects
Tell you what Boris, I'd bet you an internet £5'er.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:43 am

That season started with second-tier West Ham buying Nolan from top-flight Newcastle. He must sure love Sam, eh?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:43 pm

Chirpy wrote:Fascinating fact - West Ham's wage bill is higher than that of Borussia Dortmund
Think ours was for some of the years 2008/2011...

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:20 pm

No it wasn't.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:27 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:No it wasn't.

Hmm might have to dig out the accounts and have a look - I thought we were higher in 2008 and 2010...

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:05 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:
BL3 wrote:Burnley sold their leading scorer before the season even started. The bloke who scored almost half their goals last season. They haven't spent anything on transfer fees.
And replaced him with Danny Ings, signed by the previous manager

Pity Freedman didn't have the same luxury..instead he's stuck with the 4 million bag of shite that is Monsieur N'Gog

Still, who is the dickhead

I'm up in 6 hours to watch him fcuk it up again

Oh aye, I'll be shocked if Burnley finish above 10th
Danny Ings scored 3 goals last season. Hardly a proven goalscorer. Talk us through the 'bag of shite's' goal yesterday.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:16 pm

Are you suggesting that Ngog is now a success after that goal? It's like people saying Freedman is now the best man for the job after winning at Bournemouth! One result/goal/clean sheet means nothing on its own.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:18 pm

If you're entitled to imply that N'Gog isn't a bag of shite based on one goal, then, based on one win, I'd like to take this opportunity to acclaim Dougie a cross somewhere between Ferguson, Mourinho, Paisley and Michels.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.