Jaffka's gossip thread on the ins and outs at the 'Bok

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Jaffka's gossip thread on the ins and outs at the 'Bok

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:26 pm

When is Holden set to be back?

Relentless09
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Relentless09 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:32 am

Turn Mark Davies into a winger . . . . .

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:11 am

SmokinFrazier wrote:When is Holden set to be back?
When pre-season starts like the rest of the squad
Pfffft.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:57 am

I know we've been linked with Andy Lonergan but I noticed that Alex Manninger is a free agent. Worth a punt as the experienced keeper?
Pfffft.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:06 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:He doesn't look like ever being someone who could get 15 goals a season from midfield which really is what you need from your attacking midfield player in that sort of system.
Calm down. How many midfielders get that? Not nearly as many as successful teams play 4-2-3-1.

Davies is a good player, potentially much better, with age on his side and a long contract on ours. I'd rather not sell him but I would if we were offered £60m so as ever it's just haggling. I'd be very tempted to test the resolve of Liverpool (operating as they are without much of a upper management structure) and their shiny new manager. £8m sounds about right to me.
Yeah, I'm not sure that 15 goals thing from an attacking midfielder is necessarily true. David Silva for example has never really got near to that. I did think that while he was at Swansea that Mark Davies would be the kind of player to suit a Brendan Rodgers team though. I think he had the highest pass completion % of any player in our team last season?

I'd like to keep him, but as we all know he's only really effective in a 5-man midfield. I guess if the offers good enough and Coyle decides on a 4-4-2 then it might be worth selling him.

Relentless09
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Relentless09 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:15 pm

At championship level Mark Davies may make a better attempt at playing in a 442

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:36 pm

TKIZ! wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:When is Holden set to be back?
When pre-season starts like the rest of the squad
For some reason, I was thinking he'd be out for a few more months yet. That's great though.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:14 pm

Comparing David Silva and Mark Davies is redonculous!

Ok he's never looked like scoring goals in the volume Nolan did. Which IMO is what an attacking midfield player needs to do at a club like ours in a 4-5-1. Unless we have a fantastic striker 4 goals a season from your most attack minded midfield player won't cut it!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:42 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Comparing David Silva and Mark Davies is redonculous!

Ok he's never looked like scoring goals in the volume Nolan did. Which IMO is what an attacking midfield player needs to do at a club like ours in a 4-5-1. Unless we have a fantastic striker 4 goals a season from your most attack minded midfield player won't cut it!
Does it matter where the goals come from? Cahill scored, Wheater scored, Steinsson has scored, Davis, Pratley, Holden and Chungy have all scored in addition to Eagles, Klasnic, N'gog and KD. Of more importance surely is a team game and we'll be expecting Sordell and N'gog to add some impetus up front. We're in a lower league and Mark Davis may well get opportunities he never did in the Premiership.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:50 pm

But you don't consider your target of 15 goals from a midfielder to be redhooclioss though? :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:51 pm

The goals aren't coming from any other source in any great numbers though Tango, so reshuffling your pack just to include him seems a bit silly.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:10 pm

Well, you said an attacking midfielder needs to get 15 goals. David Silva is a very good attacking midfielder. He hasn't ever scored 15 goals in a season. So, is it not therefore unrealistic to require that of an admittedly lesser attacking mid such as Mark Davies? S'all I'm saying!

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:18 pm

Ok he's never looked like scoring goals in the volume Nolan did. Which IMO is what an attacking midfield player needs to do at a club like ours in a 4-5-1.Unless we have a fantastic striker 4 goals a season from your most attack minded midfield player won't cut it!
Nolan scored an average 4 league goals a season with Bolton - not all Premier League.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:23 pm

Goals aren't the only thing a player should be judged on. Assists are equally as important but even then, just being a threat and having the ability to take it round a defender or two, or play a good pass inside the box is vitally important. Those abilities aren't quantifiable with statistics but they are very important. It's not just about goals and assists.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:28 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:

Ok he's never looked like scoring goals in the volume Nolan did. Which IMO is what an attacking midfield player needs to do at a club like ours in a 4-5-1.Unless we have a fantastic striker 4 goals a season from your most attack minded midfield player won't cut it!
Nolan scored an average 4 league goals a season with Bolton - not all Premier League.
Does that include the last couple of seasons where he stopped scoring and proved he had nowt else to his game.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:30 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
Wandering Willy wrote:

Does that include the last couple of seasons where he stopped scoring and proved he had nowt else to his game.
You needed him to stop scoring the odd titty-lining goal before you realised that?
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:31 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
Wandering Willy wrote:

Redoocleous. How soon people forget his all-important huffing, blowing and swearing at the ref? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:31 pm

Ahah. See. There you are.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:41 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:The goals aren't coming from any other source in any great numbers though Tango, so reshuffling your pack just to include him seems a bit silly.
Which I'm not doing LK. In my view he'll be picked according to how he plays, just like the rest. The goals may come a little easier in the Championship and nobody knows how it'll go yet. Midfield's hardly been our strong point lately with Chungy and Holden out of it. With Reo Coker gone, those two back and new untried lads as yet, it's all up in the air right now. I'd still keep him as part with him though. ( Not to re-start the "we're a selling club" thing though) :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

lovethesmellofnapalm
Reliable
Reliable

Post by lovethesmellofnapalm » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:10 pm

Mark Davies didn't step up when we needed him to last season.
Sell.Sell. Sell.
"A child of five would understand this- send someone to fetch a child of five"